Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing up?

Would like to know the pros/cons of families who have had their child/ren play up in age level in soccer. From 1 to 2 years up? Thanks!

my daughter plays up. she was on one of the top teams for her age but was not happy. mostly for a reason having nothing to do with soccer. not many options for her in her age so she went to an older team(1 yr) she had guested with for several years. not a top team for their age but we knew enough about the team/coaches/parents that it was a good fit for her. i'd rather have her happy and playing up than miserable in her own age and quit.

it's been a year now. she is one of the top players on her team but still challenged, improving and having fun.

Comment

can't edit the above:

if your child is playing up:
      they need to be playing. playing up and sitting the bench means nothing. kids want to play.

they need to be in the middle of the skill level for the team. if they are the top player, the team level is too low. are they being challenged? if they are the lower, usually means less playing time. again, kids want to play.

be realistic, my daughter could never play up on a top team. some can. many of her age could not play up on her current team.

bascially it all depends on the situation.

also depends on the age cut off. jan-dec ---> a december can normally play up better than a january.

Comment

Playing up when younger is fine, gets trickier in high school years because of recruiting. Also, have seen clubs let players roster up a year, then when they really need them to win a game or two, they bring down that player to appropriate age. This means that a player that put their heart and soul into their team can be displaced. The rule should be strict that a player can only be rostered on one team to avoid this.My two cents....but it is parents paying the money!!! Happens in tournaments, ECNL, etc. Just not at USYS state cup where rules are set against it.

Comment

Advantages

first, one of the main advantages is your child learning to deal with a player that is bigger and faster and probably more skilled. it also pushes your child to really want to be better in order to compete with the older guys.

Im in an online competition and i wanted to know you could vote for my picture entitled "going underground"? if so, just click the 5th star, thanks and hope the advice helped!!

http://copafreestyle.com/copachallen...gory/pictures/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X