X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking guidance for my soccer boy

Hello Virginia,
    I have a 13 year old boy that decided to play soccer (the one sport I don't know anything about). He has been playing since he was 5. He is a lefty forward/midfielder and he just started his 8th grade. Now he is playing 15u (he should be playing 14U) and we love the coach. He was playing Select/Travel level however that team folded. So now he is playing TASLI (advance). But I have several questions.
    1. Should I keep him playing 15u when he can play 14u where he is battling with kids much bigger than him.
    2. He wants to take a shot at ODP but I need to decide which one is better ODP vs ID camps. which one is better?
    3. Either way, should he try this upcoming summer or wait until the summer between 9th and 10th grade.
    4. If we go with the ODP route, were is better between Richmond and Virginia Beach? We are kind of in the middle so...
    5. I was told that scouts will not come and see him where his club pays at and only will see him during weekend tournaments.
    He is a good kid with straight A's but his private school does not have a soccer team. Any advice will be awesome. Thanks!

Here are my thoughts...
    1. The age group he plays may depend on the options you have available to you. Why is he playing up now? If he is a good player and up to the challenge, then that is better for his development and should make him a stronger player.
    2. In 8th grade he is probably on the young side for ID camps, and you really want to save those for later when he is targeting specific schools. ODP is an entirely different thing--that is regular training throughout the year with the goal of making higher pools (first there is District, then State, then Region). So, in terms of making him a better player, choose ODP.
    3. This upcoming summer will be too soon for an ID camp unless it's his dream school.
    4. He has missed the cycle for ODP this year unless you have a club coach that can recommend him to be evaluated now for the District. The District trainings are winding down in October, and State tryouts will happen at the end of November/beginning of December. You have to participate in the District in order to be selected for the State. If he is an 03-birth year, there are still 3 more years of ODP available for him.
    I think Virginia Beach is a bigger site, but I know of people "in the middle" that choose Richmond due to traffic considerations at that training time.
    5. Scouts typically don't attend league games, only tournaments.

Comment

Seeking guidance

If you are looking to get the most out of soccer for your child I would find a club with a competitive/travel program. TASL is an advanced recreation league with more local competition. If your child is only looking to play soccer for fun with some competition, then that is the league for him. If they are looking for more serious competition and willing to dedicate the time/training needed, then the competitive/travel bracket is better. My child plays travel for a local club in Virginia Beach and also participates in the ODP program and both have been very beneficial to him. I have heard rumor though that many kids are passed over for participation in the ODP program if they are not part of a travel team. I don't know how true it is, but I don't know of any kids participating in the ODP districts that are not on a travel team. One of the best options for high level of play is an academy team/club which Hampton Roads area does not currently have. Richmond does have a US Academy team though if you are looking for a high level of competition/training. There are quite a few clubs in the Hampton Roads area that provide travel soccer if that is more of your goal. Both can offer very good soccer and play in high level leagues like the VSLI and the CCL (CCL is one of the premier levels for the area). Good luck.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X