Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Soccer Coaches in NOVA?

Curious on who everyone thinks are the "top" coaches in NOVA. Looking at ECNL/GA age groups, so 2010s and older. Could define "top" in different ways (development, college exposure, etc.).

Any of the Virginia Union, VDA, or FCV staff. Loudoun has an athletic kick and run style of development that doesn’t pan out well for older ages. Arlington is up and coming but not on the same level as the first three mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Any of the Virginia Union, VDA, or FCV staff. Loudoun has an athletic kick and run style of development that doesn’t pan out well for older ages. Arlington is up and coming but not on the same level as the first three mentioned.
      Agreed but I would take FCV off that list. Terrible. Also, it depends on girls or boys.

Comment

Agreed but I would take FCV off that list. Terrible. Also, it depends on girls or boys.
        Absolutely. Terrible coaching always puts you atop a division across almost all age groups. Only terrible coaches can accomplish that. Rumor has it the 09s will join the rest of the age groups atop the division this year. Just remember all the talent in the world doesn’t mean anything unless you have a coach to put it all together. Ben Olson wouldn’t even have a record of .500 if he coached Man City. Just sayin’

Don’t listen to Loudoun Dad, he has a few too many Margaritas every night.

Comment

Absolutely. Terrible coaching always puts you atop a division across almost all age groups. Only terrible coaches can accomplish that. Rumor has it the 09s will join the rest of the age groups atop the division this year. Just remember all the talent in the world doesn’t mean anything unless you have a coach to put it all together. Ben Olson wouldn’t even have a record of .500 if he coached Man City. Just sayin’

Don’t listen to Loudoun Dad, he has a few too many Margaritas every night.
          And we wonder why FCV gets all of the hate. Starts post, responds with hopes that people will think FCV coach is in the same class as Union and VDA while also putting down Loudoun. Then gets mad when someone doesn’t agree and responds with rumours that the “09s will join the rest of the age groups atop the division this year”. Get this through your thick skull. NO ONE CARES ABOUT GA. No GA coach could seriously be considered as a “best” coach. No parent is rating coaches as “best”. Only what fits for their DC. What a twat.

Comment

And we wonder why FCV gets all of the hate. Starts post, responds with hopes that people will think FCV coach is in the same class as Union and VDA while also putting down Loudoun. Then gets mad when someone doesn’t agree and responds with rumours that the “09s will join the rest of the age groups atop the division this year”. Get this through your thick skull. NO ONE CARES ABOUT GA. No GA coach could seriously be considered as a “best” coach. No parent is rating coaches as “best”. Only what fits for their DC. What a twat.
            Nobody cares about your Narcissistic opinion. FC Virginia has more players in top conferences than any other Club in our area CURRENTLY.

Not sure why you don’t understand that any of the top GA teams nationally can hang with top ECNL teams. IMO, you are one of the few who fails to admit this. The 07 team proved that this past year however it did take a few years and some players to get there. Also, further disproving your point, we both know that some of those were players from Loudoun and VDA. If nobody cared OR they thought coaching or training was below standards, they never would have joined.

If I knew you, I’d happily wager that the new 09 team will vastly improve from last year. This just falls in line with what FCV does.

There is a reason that the quote “trust the process” is used in youth soccer, especially at clubs that are not worried about winning games in 9v9 or 7v7. Many clubs do worry about winning at those ages. I am impartial to it. I believe competition is good even at young ages. It’s pretty apparent that BP is not worried about. In the end though, nobody cares about results of middle school and elementary school age group results except parents.

So, how does Loudoun do as teams get older after being dominant at the young ages? Instead of hurling insults, accusations, and broad discouraging comments, maybe use some examples your claims, not so much about an inside track to LOCAL regional pools (which also doesn’t mean much as so few girls from our region ever make a roster). DD has nothing to do with anything except IDing local players for the LOCAL pool.

I hope the OP does in fact post again. I actually think it is just a troll trying to get us to fight again.

You have denied being a Loudoun parent yet you are very defensive about them. My only beef with Loudoun is the style of play taught from an early age along with the fact that smaller players are written off from an early age and the system used is not merit based. The coaching at Loudoun is aimed at winning games and very tactical from a set piece POV. The midfield is not utilized at young ages. What Loudoun does best is develop defenders.

I am in fact a parent at FCV who has experienced both sides of GA and ECNL. I have two daughters. One plays at FCV and the other plays multiple sports and no longer part of ECNL or GA. I find it disgusting and low class that you try to paint me as a coach at FCV on an anonymous forum. I don’t really have a way to prove it, but I can honestly assure you that I am nothing more than a highly informed Soccer dad at FCV who wants nothing but success for all of the families simply because we have had an excellent experience here.

-J

Comment

OP here. I was looking for specific coaches (and specifically on the girls soccer, not boys), versus devolving into a GA vs. ECNL debate. For example, I think most can say Clyde (Union) is a good coach. I'd also say that Union has some other good ones (Nadir?).. VDA....Quan, and a good/recent new (female coach) hire. Loudoun has....RA? Nothing else after that. FCV has a few good ones. Bethesda has ??? Metro has??? BRYC has???

Comment

OP here. I was looking for specific coaches (and specifically on the girls soccer, not boys), versus devolving into a GA vs. ECNL debate. For example, I think most can say Clyde (Union) is a good coach. I'd also say that Union has some other good ones (Nadir?).. VDA....Quan, and a good/recent new (female coach) hire. Loudoun has....RA? Nothing else after that. FCV has a few good ones. Bethesda has ??? Metro has??? BRYC has???
                Sounds like you already know your stuff. Personally my favorite coach and trainer in the area is Gabe Portillo but he moved over to Valor Boys. I do like and have a very high level of respect for Clyde even though many consider him old world now. Gus Donolo at Great Falls is another fantastic coach. No idea how he has not been picked up by one of the ECNL or GA clubs yet. No experience with Nadir. Not enough experience to comment on Arlington coaches either. I hear that Bethesda lost a lot of players but I don't know if that is because of coaching or something else. Metro is tough to gauge since wins are hard to come by for them. Coaching is positive there though. I plead the 5th on Loudoun only because we all have an opinion and that doesn't necessarily mean we are right. Curious as to see what Loudoun Dad will say...

-J

Comment

Nobody cares about your Narcissistic opinion. FC Virginia has more players in top conferences than any other Club in our area CURRENTLY.

Not sure why you don’t understand that any of the top GA teams nationally can hang with top ECNL teams. IMO, you are one of the few who fails to admit this. The 07 team proved that this past year however it did take a few years and some players to get there. Also, further disproving your point, we both know that some of those were players from Loudoun and VDA. If nobody cared OR they thought coaching or training was below standards, they never would have joined.

If I knew you, I’d happily wager that the new 09 team will vastly improve from last year. This just falls in line with what FCV does.

There is a reason that the quote “trust the process” is used in youth soccer, especially at clubs that are not worried about winning games in 9v9 or 7v7. Many clubs do worry about winning at those ages. I am impartial to it. I believe competition is good even at young ages. It’s pretty apparent that BP is not worried about. In the end though, nobody cares about results of middle school and elementary school age group results except parents.

So, how does Loudoun do as teams get older after being dominant at the young ages? Instead of hurling insults, accusations, and broad discouraging comments, maybe use some examples your claims, not so much about an inside track to LOCAL regional pools (which also doesn’t mean much as so few girls from our region ever make a roster). DD has nothing to do with anything except IDing local players for the LOCAL pool.

I hope the OP does in fact post again. I actually think it is just a troll trying to get us to fight again.

You have denied being a Loudoun parent yet you are very defensive about them. My only beef with Loudoun is the style of play taught from an early age along with the fact that smaller players are written off from an early age and the system used is not merit based. The coaching at Loudoun is aimed at winning games and very tactical from a set piece POV. The midfield is not utilized at young ages. What Loudoun does best is develop defenders.

I am in fact a parent at FCV who has experienced both sides of GA and ECNL. I have two daughters. One plays at FCV and the other plays multiple sports and no longer part of ECNL or GA. I find it disgusting and low class that you try to paint me as a coach at FCV on an anonymous forum. I don’t really have a way to prove it, but I can honestly assure you that I am nothing more than a highly informed Soccer dad at FCV who wants nothing but success for all of the families simply because we have had an excellent experience here.

-J
                  Totally a coach. Why would some parent have beef with the style of play of some other club?

Comment

Beef = problem. Just like some parents have a problem with FCV. As a parent/fan, I like possession style with a secondary priority playing forward, utilizing the midfield. No different than a parent who likes direct play. I think people who assume coaches post on forums are crazy. I have never heard of a coach doing so, especially in high level. The only coach I “believe” that posted on DCUM was one of the SYC coaches.

Comment

You guys realize that ever since Bethesda Dad switched his DD to FCV, this forum has been non-stop GA>>ECNL

Comment

You guys realize that ever since Bethesda Dad switched his DD to FCV, this forum has been non-stop GA>>ECNL
                        You got me! I’m Bethesda Dad with alter ego FCV GA dad. Haha. Really funny, first I was a FCV coach and now I am a Bethesda Dad who moved his daughter to FCV?

For the record, never ever have I said GA is better than ECNL. I’ve also never mentioned Bethesda in any posts. Thanks for playing though. Best wishes to you and your Loudoun family. Honestly I hope it all works out. Meanwhile we’ll enjoy what you say is a 2nd rate National Championship and I can’t wait to watch DD and her friends do it all over again!

-J

Comment

I’ve seen a couple of FCV games. No real style of play. Definitely not possession. Not long-ball. Middle of the road direct play. Highly dependent on players to win their positional battles to get an advantage. Parks the bus once up. Very mourinho. Very blah.

Comment

Beef = problem. Just like some parents have a problem with FCV. As a parent/fan, I like possession style with a secondary priority playing forward, utilizing the midfield. No different than a parent who likes direct play. I think people who assume coaches post on forums are crazy. I have never heard of a coach doing so, especially in high level. The only coach I “believe” that posted on DCUM was one of the SYC coaches.
                            You mean you find it hard to believe that a FCV coach, the same FCV coach who is incredibly active on Twitter and social media is somehow not aware of or above posting on a soccer forum?

Comment

So you think people who assume coaches post on forums are crazy but yet you believe that one of the SYC coaches posted on a forum. Got it. What a nutter.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X