Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ODP worth it?

We have a player that plays club and town. Too much town politics and issues. Thinking of replacing the town with ODP. What’s your thoughts?

Was sent this information

2021/2022 ODP & Academy Tryout Dates
    The SRI ODP & Academy Programs are open to boys and girls in the 2012-2005 birth years. The 2021/22 tryout schedule is as follows:

June 21 & June 22
    5:15-6:30pm - Boys & Girls 2012/2011
    6:45-8:00pm - Boys & Girls 2008/2007

June 23 & June 24
    5:15-6:30pm - Boys & Girls 2010/2009
    6:45-8:00pm - Boys & Girls 2006/2005

Registration fee $25/player

Davisville Road, North Kingstown, RI

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We have a player that plays club and town. Too much town politics and issues. Thinking of replacing the town with ODP. What’s your thoughts?

Was sent this information

2021/2022 ODP & Academy Tryout Dates
    The SRI ODP & Academy Programs are open to boys and girls in the 2012-2005 birth years. The 2021/22 tryout schedule is as follows:

June 21 & June 22
    5:15-6:30pm - Boys & Girls 2012/2011
    6:45-8:00pm - Boys & Girls 2008/2007

June 23 & June 24
    5:15-6:30pm - Boys & Girls 2010/2009
    6:45-8:00pm - Boys & Girls 2006/2005

Registration fee $25/player

Davisville Road, North Kingstown, RI
    It is a very good program provided the clubs (and towns) encourage the best players to join. Some club coaches are jerks about it and frown upon it.

Comment

My son did it for two years. Good experience and extra touches

Comment

My daughters did it twice. Both times it was pretty much run by Bayside coaches. Other than CM, who else will be involved as far as club coaches?

Comment

My daughters did it twice. Both times it was pretty much run by Bayside coaches. Other than CM, who else will be involved as far as club coaches?
          Usually college coaches like CF and AR. Otherwise mix of Bayside and Surf. I think DY got bounced for recruiting or he should have. CM tries to make it a neutral site with no recruiting but can only do so much.

Comment

Usually college coaches like CF and AR. Otherwise mix of Bayside and Surf. I think DY got bounced for recruiting or he should have. CM tries to make it a neutral site with no recruiting but can only do so much.
            Well than most of the club coaches should not be there as I know of multiple that try recruiting there in the past. For example, Bayside RG tried to recruit both of my kids there. Any club coach involved in ODP is there to recruit, fact. CM is cool in my book. But if you don't think she has her favorite coaches, you are oblivious. That is their wink wink, come train these kids, but no recruiting. Yeah ok, if you believe that one.

Comment

If you are employed by any club, you should not be involved in ODP. That would be a start to making it club neutral. But the directors will still whisper to the talented kids, where they should go. And unless the parent is well informed, those kids will be sent the direction of the directors' friends clubs. It's how the world works. I could go on about these club neutral type leagues/club trainings, it is bs. Too small of a state for these programs to be club neutral.

Comment

Simply put.....No

Comment

Simply put.....No
                  Depends on the age group for ODP. One of my kids is in a very talented group, the other not so much.

Comment

Some club coaches are jerks about it and frown upon it.

Because they know their current player's are going to get recruited there if they are good enough. You wanna get more people to ODP? Stop employing club coaches and get college players or high end high school players to train these kids there. Nobody wants to send their kid to a program, where let's say, the kid was formerly with a club, decided to change clubs, and now signs up for ODP, to find out when they get there, the coaches that are training them are the same coaches from their former club. They left that club most likely because of those coaches. You can't advertise as club neutral and have club coaches there. It's too bad this is how it is run, the prices are not terrible and CM is really good. I personally know of bunches of players that would participate, but don't want to run into old coaches as stated.

Comment

Because they know their current player's are going to get recruited there if they are good enough. You wanna get more people to ODP? Stop employing club coaches and get college players or high end high school players to train these kids there. Nobody wants to send their kid to a program, where let's say, the kid was formerly with a club, decided to change clubs, and now signs up for ODP, to find out when they get there, the coaches that are training them are the same coaches from their former club. They left that club most likely because of those coaches. You can't advertise as club neutral and have club coaches there. It's too bad this is how it is run, the prices are not terrible and CM is really good. I personally know of bunches of players that would participate, but don't want to run into old coaches as stated.
                      Don't burn your bridges and running into old coaches won't be a problem.

What coaching education do you think HS and College kids have? Why would this be better than qualified coaches. We have had nothing but good experiences with the club coaches at ODP. It's nice to train under someone with a different coaching style. Makes the player more well rounded.

CM does a great job with what she's got. I don't think SRI pushes ODP in order for CM to advance the program, but all in all, it's good for individual player development beyond club.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3005978]Don't burn your bridges and running into old coaches won't be a problem.

In club soccer, when you leave a team, no matter the situation, bridge most likely is burnt. If you think otherwise, your in fantasy land. Not to mention, if my kid left the team and was not cut, most likely it had to do with the coach's training. Why would I want to bring my player back to that coach to train him/her? Seems kind of foolish.

Comment

Another way to possibly get more involved. Post prior to registration specifically what coaches will be training each age group and gender. This certainly would help.

Comment

Another way to possibly get more involved. Post prior to registration specifically what coaches will be training each age group and gender. This certainly would help.
                            RI ODP needs a better marketing campaign. So many people don't know about it, don't see the advertisements for tryouts and miss out.

Comment

How was the tournament up in Mass this past weekend for the various teams? Good showing for Rhody?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X