X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to RI in June looking for advice/info

Hello!
    We will be moving to RI in June. (Providence area) My daughter is an 09 GK. After browsing this forum it is clear there are some strong opinions and a lot of distance driving happening. We have done USYS and ECNL in Wisconsin. Just took a break this year in NC. She played for her school team and tried some new sports. Misses year round soccer and definitely wants to play for a club.
    We are not chasing college and scholarships. But do want competitive games. Primary concern is GK coaching. I am willing to drive a bit for practice but not hours.
    I am also curious what the high school team culture is. ECNL in Wisconsin supported girls playing for their school team and high school teams were strong. North Carolina seemed to have ECRL girls playing for their schools, but not ECNL. Not sure if this came down from their club or just didn’t work schedule wise.
    My daughter would like to play for her school team too since she is looking to make friends. And am I seeing correctly that girls high school soccer season is fall?? Everywhere else we have lived it’s a spring sport. ‍♀️
    Thanks for any insight. I look at club pages and have a very difficult time figuring out where training takes place and obviously I don’t know drive times there yet anyway.
    GK coaching info anyone??

Bayside Strikers, Bayside, NEFC, SURF rI, those are going to be the better club options.
    otherwise look at Bruno and Liverpool.

Comment

What school will she be going to? You may want to reach out to the HS and see what they do during the summer bec they will have captains practice and also try outs prior to school starting. If you are in providence area you are close for bayside, nefc, scorpions, Juventus, Liverpool, etc. it all just depends on where you live.

Comment

Thanks for info! Real estate market is tight and we are still figuring out our landing spot. Can’t set up with school until we have mortgage and utility bill in hand. But good to know things get going in summer. Again, we are used to winter tryouts for spring season. Have to wrap my head around a fall timeline!

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          Thanks for info! Real estate market is tight and we are still figuring out our landing spot. Can’t set up with school until we have mortgage and utility bill in hand. But good to know things get going in summer. Again, we are used to winter tryouts for spring season. Have to wrap my head around a fall timeline!
          Portsmouth High School is rated high and looking for a good goalkeeper since the starter just graduated.

Comment

Cumberland. Excellent school system, HS girls soccer, and not too far from NEFC or Bayside. Two best places for keeper training.

Comment

Hello!
              We will be moving to RI in June. (Providence area) My daughter is an 09 GK. After browsing this forum it is clear there are some strong opinions and a lot of distance driving happening. We have done USYS and ECNL in Wisconsin. Just took a break this year in NC. She played for her school team and tried some new sports. Misses year round soccer and definitely wants to play for a club.
              We are not chasing college and scholarships. But do want competitive games. Primary concern is GK coaching. I am willing to drive a bit for practice but not hours.
              I am also curious what the high school team culture is. ECNL in Wisconsin supported girls playing for their school team and high school teams were strong. North Carolina seemed to have ECRL girls playing for their schools, but not ECNL. Not sure if this came down from their club or just didn’t work schedule wise.
              My daughter would like to play for her school team too since she is looking to make friends. And am I seeing correctly that girls high school soccer season is fall?? Everywhere else we have lived it’s a spring sport. ‍♀️
              Thanks for any insight. I look at club pages and have a very difficult time figuring out where training takes place and obviously I don’t know drive times there yet anyway.
              GK coaching info anyone??
              best advice is don't move to RI

Comment

In the US, college soccer is a fall sport. The Northeast is not unique in this.

Comment

Of course! I realize that about college soccer. But of the states where I have raised my kids (Colorado, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and North Carolina) they have all had high school girls soccer as a spring sport. Maybe it has to do with field usage.
                  Thanks for the input everyone. We are looking forward to our move. Always good and bad about anywhere you live ;-) but 4 seasons and seafood sounds good to me.

Comment

Colorado and NC much much better soccer. I feel you will be disappointed in the soccer, but not the seafood.

Comment

gk parent here. For gk coaching for a girl, scorpions or nefc. We've done gk training with NE Revs also which has been hit or miss depending on group sizes and which coach you get.

Comment

There are a few clubs in the area you can try. Surf, Liverpool, and Scorpions.

Comment

I agree with all 3

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X