Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there not a decent club in RI?

I see a lot of comments about how awful Surf, Bayside, etc are. So I'm wondering, if you have a kid (2012 boy in my case) who's good, but not elite, what's the best club option in RI? I'm looking for good coaching, a positive, rigorous atmosphere, and decent communication. Does that not exist?

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I see a lot of comments about how awful Surf, Bayside, etc are. So I'm wondering, if you have a kid (2012 boy in my case) who's good, but not elite, what's the best club option in RI? I'm looking for good coaching, a positive, rigorous atmosphere, and decent communication. Does that not exist?
    Bayside is the best around RI for boys! But not girls What town do you live in? NEFC is in Mendon if willing to drive. Juve and NEFC currently ranked best. Also Liverpool. But I’d I had a son I’d go with Bayside.

Comment

I think Surf is good for younger aged boys. As you get into the older ages though, they seem to concentrate almost exclusively on the A team, while packing the rosters of the B teams to maximum size and then giving them inexperienced coaches. I suspect there may be a bit of that at all clubs though, to one extent or another.

Bayside turned me off the first (and only) training session I took my son to. Coaches all barking at the kids and I didn't see a smile on any player's face, and that was a group of 10-year olds. It's been a while so maybe things have changed. I will say the last time one of my kids played against a Bayside team, the parents were actually pretty well-behaved, which was definitely not my experience a few years ago.

Comment

A lot of the clubs are good as long as you don't get caught up in the drama. Most of the kids are probably generally happy and having a good time. It's the parents who ruin the experience with their unreal D1 expectations. If the kid is truly a top talent then you can get into a different discussion. Most of the people in the other discussion about top tier teams have kids that aren't really ready for these teams and it would be humbling if they actually went and watched a practice or let their kid try out. It's fun to talk about until they see what it actually is. Stay away from town teams that promise you a Revolution spot because this is just silly and a way to extort parents in well to do areas. Stay away from the clubs that promise top tier teams coming soon. We all know that this has been going on every year. If the kid is having fun and playing w other kids who are a good match then why mess w it.

Comment

Bayside is the best around RI for boys! But not girls What town do you live in? NEFC is in Mendon if willing to drive. Juve and NEFC currently ranked best. Also Liverpool. But I’d I had a son I’d go with Bayside.
          I would take Surf or Bayside over Juve and Liverpool for girls. Those two clubs suck!

Comment

I would take Surf or Bayside over Juve and Liverpool for girls. Those two clubs suck!
            Does Juventus still have RI teams? I only see what goes on at two ages, and both boys, but I haven't seen them play a RI Juve team for over a year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X