Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf Select

I see a lot of “Surf Select” social media posts…Must be the time of year when the better Surf kids start talking about visiting GA & ECNL practices!!

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I see a lot of “Surf Select” social media posts…Must be the time of year when the better Surf kids start talking about visiting GA & ECNL practices!!
    Surf and Bayside are now feeder clubs for Scorpions Regional ECNL teams. A good best step for those kids. Sadly talent leaves RI by age 13-14. If RI had one club that was part of ECNL or GA we would keep our players in state.

Comment

Surf and Bayside are now feeder clubs for Scorpions Regional ECNL teams. A good best step for those kids. Sadly talent leaves RI by age 13-14. If RI had one club that was part of ECNL or GA we would keep our players in state.
      I moved my kid to a MA club at u13, have to practice everyday against better to get better. Level of competition both in practice and games is not even close. I would have much rather stayed in RI so I agree with your point.

Comment

Honest question, what does an ECNL Regional team provide that's so different from Surf and Bayside?

Comment

Honest question, what does an ECNL Regional team provide that's so different from Surf and Bayside?
          Not much to be honest. I personally wouldn’t travel out of RI to play at the ENRL level. Too expensive and too far for practices compared to what you would get from Bayside/Surf. The only positive I can see for ECRL is the ability to train at times with ECNL players at group sessions or scrimmaging against ECNL team sometimes. Although very rare, occasionally a kid gets brought up to ECNL from ECRL.

Comment

Not much to be honest. I personally wouldn’t travel out of RI to play at the ENRL level. Too expensive and too far for practices compared to what you would get from Bayside/Surf. The only positive I can see for ECRL is the ability to train at times with ECNL players at group sessions or scrimmaging against ECNL team sometimes. Although very rare, occasionally a kid gets brought up to ECNL from ECRL.
            The deeper player pool of a bigger club provides a lot of opportunities. That said, how good the Regional situation is depends on the age group. Tends to get better U15 and up, while Bayside and Surf struggle to keep players at those ages.

Comment

ECNL and ECRL do not practice or scrimmage one another. Regional will scrimmage Impact but not national. The benefit for leaving RI for regional :
              1. Better coaching and better training at both Scorpions and Stars regional
              2. ECRL has showcases that were actually pretty good this year. That league as well as the exposure in that league is far superior to any exposure Bayside gets in elite 64 or surf gets in NECSL.
              3. Scorpions and Stars are respected outside of MA.
              4. Both clubs have more college commitments and contacts.
              5. The fact that Surf has to play as Pumas at RI futsal and in Superliga shows they are so desperate for extra sandbag opportunities because they cannot compete in the big leagues.
              6. Bayside, Surf, Liverpool, and Bruno are basically the same caliber type clubs with dad coaches. You don’t find a whole lot of dad coaching at ECNL or ECRL level.
              shouid I go on?

Comment

ECNL and ECRL do not practice or scrimmage one another. Regional will scrimmage Impact but not national. The benefit for leaving RI for regional :
                1. Better coaching and better training at both Scorpions and Stars regional
                2. ECRL has showcases that were actually pretty good this year. That league as well as the exposure in that league is far superior to any exposure Bayside gets in elite 64 or surf gets in NECSL.
                3. Scorpions and Stars are respected outside of MA.
                4. Both clubs have more college commitments and contacts.
                5. The fact that Surf has to play as Pumas at RI futsal and in Superliga shows they are so desperate for extra sandbag opportunities because they cannot compete in the big leagues.
                6. Bayside, Surf, Liverpool, and Bruno are basically the same caliber type clubs with dad coaches. You don’t find a whole lot of dad coaching at ECNL or ECRL level.
                shouid I go on?
                I agree with all your points but my experience with ECNL/ECRL practicing and scrimmaging is different I guess. I certainly can’t speak for all clubs or ages but I watched ECNL teams scrimmage their regional team MANY times this winter. In fact some kids from ECRL played well enough to get a chance to train with ECNL at times. The club also has a 3rd “club” practice each week and in summer where ECNL and ECRL kids are together. Other than that your points are right on

Comment

I agree with all your points but my experience with ECNL/ECRL practicing and scrimmaging is different I guess. I certainly can’t speak for all clubs or ages but I watched ECNL teams scrimmage their regional team MANY times this winter. In fact some kids from ECRL played well enough to get a chance to train with ECNL at times. The club also has a 3rd “club” practice each week and in summer where ECNL and ECRL kids are together. Other than that your points are right on
                  This is good to hear and I’m happy for those kids! It didn’t used to be that way.

Comment

This is good to hear and I’m happy for those kids! It didn’t used to be that way.
                    At Scorpions it is common for the top regional players to practice once a week with ECNL, and have occasional playing opportunities. The competition in ECRL is deeper than DPL, Impact, or E64. These big ECNL clubs have 2nd teams that are very athletic and have some good players in the mix. Especially U15 and up.

Comment

another crazy parent who probably got kicked out of Surf and is an embarrassment to his daughter. So you’re going to tell me that all these “ECNL/ GA” coaches are not dads? Typical entitled Barrington parents.

Comment

another crazy parent who probably got kicked out of Surf and is an embarrassment to his daughter. So you’re going to tell me that all these “ECNL/ GA” coaches are not dads? Typical entitled Barrington parents.
                        Kicked out of Surf, now that's funny. Like they are in a position to kick any player out of the club! They are way too busy trying to keep any talented player from leaving for Massachusetts.

Comment

Scorpions does not have a single coach with his/her kid on the team. Surf has multiple.

Comment

Scorpions does not have a single coach with his/her kid on the team. Surf has multiple.
                            OK so let’s see if I have this correct: RI Surf have dads coaching their kids, play in a travel soccer league against town teams and a 3rd tier Premier league, have kids who apparently don’t want to play in college. Anything else I’m missing?! Sounds like a tremendous advertisement for a premier club charging premier fees. What a joke.

Comment

I wonder how much the people in charge at Surf make for all the travel to these silly surf events like surf select "national team" they probably end up making a good chunk of change

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X