Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RI Boys varsity High School D1

Who are the teams to watch this D1 season and why?

NK Lasalle are my favorites. Cumberland stepping up there too

Comment

NK seems to be dominating the first three games. 6-0 5-1 4-1 all with a freshman keeper too. Any thoughts?

Comment

They didn't exactly beat powerhouses in those games. Saturday's game will probably be a better indicator of how good NK is/is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          They didn't exactly beat powerhouses in those games. Saturday's game will probably be a better indicator of how good NK is/is not.
          So now I guess the question is, is LaSalle just having a down year, or is NK really that good? I know NK has at least one DI-bound player; maybe two?

Comment

So now I guess the question is, is LaSalle just having a down year, or is NK really that good? I know NK has at least one DI-bound player; maybe two?

Yes, he is URI bound. I agree maybe one defender. La Salle didn't look great, they were frustrated in the second half, completely out hustled. What saved NK was the goalkeeper, kid had some amazing saves. He's a freshman too

Comment

All the top players aren't allowed to play high school soccer this year.

Comment

Why aren’t they allowed to play?

Comment

Those players chose to play MLS next and because of that they can't play high school soccer

Comment

Those players chose to play MLS next and because of that they can't play high school soccer
                    This isn't a new thing this year. And how many MLS Next players are attending LaSalle (or NK... I think I heard Hendricken might have one, but IDK).

Comment

Hendricken good this year?

Comment

Hendricken good this year?
                        They haven't played anyone good yet. We will see how good they are when they start playing strong teams

Comment

Teams aren’t great this year overall. Many teams had a lot of graduating seniors so now rebuilding. NK one of the few with a a good amount of seniors who are also stronger players. Lasalle’s best player graduated and he’s not easy to replace. Some teams lost a player or two to MLS Next but that does not affect any one team in a big way. High school soccer is what it is, players of all different levels mixing together.

Comment

They haven't played anyone good yet. We will see how good they are when they start playing strong teams
                            I don't know if Hendricken is any good or not, but their goal difference is jumping out at me. Also, I think their one non-league loss on their record was against Wheeler, and I think their JV played that game, for whatever that's worth. I haven't seen them play yet, but looking forward to the LaSalle game in a couple weeks.

Comment

Saw the NK vs. Hendricken game. Impressions:

No one can defend on either team.
                              NK's supposed best player failed to impress me. He may have just had an off game, but if that's the best he can do, I see a lot of bench time in his future at URI.
                              NK's big striker is not committed anywhere? Is that right? I heard a rumor he was just waiting for recruiting to happen rather than being proactive about it. Regardless, he should be able to find a spot somewhere, he was unstoppable (but refer back to my first comment). This late in the cycle though, he may need a year at a prep school to get noticed.
                              NK may be undefeated, but I wasn't overly impressed. I don't think they'll run away with the championship.

Final impression: Who is in charge of certifying referees in this state? There were some questionable calls, but I guess that's to be expected. However, there was one definitely wrong application of the rules which should have been a red card against a NK defender and a PK for Hendricken, but which instead resulted in a yellow and a dropped ball to the NK goalkeeper??? Ridiculous.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X