Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

Every player on an ECNL or GA team in NE is a "top team" player by definition. These are players who were chosen for the top team over 3 to 5+ other teams full of players at the same big clubs who didn't make the top team.
    I personally know of at least a couple dozen girls, 2008 - 2010 players that play for RI clubs that would easily take the spot of Scorpion, NEFC, Select, and Stars players if they wanted to travel 3/4 days a week for trainings. But they don't want all that travel for trainings, so they stay put with their friends in RI. So, when you say that the top players around are already on those GA or ECNL teams, it really is not true. 90% of players are not talented enough to be GA or ECNL players, but some get on the team due to things like location where they live, ability to pay the fees for the league/travel, and then there is the 10-15% that make the team because they have multiple siblings at the club and the club does not want to lose the more talented sibling if the less talented sibling does not get a spot in their age group.

Comment

I per****lly know of at least a couple dozen girls, 2008 - 2010 players that play for RI clubs that would easily take the spot of Scorpion, NEFC, Select, and Stars players if they wanted to travel 3/4 days a week for trainings.
      I don't know which RI clubs you've been watching, but I sure as heck haven't seen 8–9 players per age group left in RI that I'd wager would take an ECNL or GA spot, let alone "easily." Since none of these players compete at that level regularly, what makes you so sure?

Comment

I don't know which RI clubs you've been watching, but I sure as heck haven't seen 8–9 players per age group left in RI that I'd wager would take an ECNL or GA spot, let alone "easily." Since none of these players compete at that level regularly, what makes you so sure?
        I agree maybe there isn't 8 or 9 per age group from 2007 and older, as the majority of them have already left RI due to no GA or ECNL in RI. They probably would still be in RI if there was GA or ECNL option. However, my point was to the 08-10 age groups. There are definitely 8 players per age group in RI 08-10 that are equal to or more talented than current GA/ECNL players at the 5 NE clubs (not counting the 2 in CT). Let's look at it this way and see if we can agree on how I come to my theory in regard to 08s, 09s, and 10s only. RI Surf and Bayside at those 3 age groups definitely have 2 players on each team that could play for one of the top teams at the 5 clubs. We are now halfway to your 8 players per age group. Add in the top player from each of the 3 age groups from Pawtucket (they all play for Bruno if they are playing club). We are now at 5 per age group. Strikers, CLCF, Liverpool, OSNK etc. I think we can find 3 players per age group just from them 4 clubs to get us to the 8 we need to validate my point. Then there are also the multi-sport athletes in RI that can't commit to Mass travel for trainings, so maybe they only currently play town soccer or lower-level nep/necsl. They are already athletic, which you can't teach, but with the proper soccer training, that the travel is close enough so that they can continue with their other sport, then you go way beyond the "8" that is needed. Again, I'm not saying the RI teams would be national champions in either league, but I think you have a false sense of the current talent level at these GA/ECNL clubs compared to RI 08s-10s. If all GA and ECNL top teams are as talented as you believe they are, why are so many of their games so lopsided? Did you see results from both leagues playoffs. Scores like 5-0 and 6-1 came from many of the games. National Semi Finals and Finals are the results that were close. Go look at quarter final results. I will say, the level of coaching in RI at these clubs is not very good, some good, but not enough to develop these players properly. But if you get that GA or ECNL status for 1 club, it would not be hard to attract good coaching at that point.

Comment

They would rather stay in RI and be superstars so they're parents can brag about how good their child is!

Comment

I per****lly know of at least a couple dozen girls, 2008 - 2010 players that play for RI clubs that would easily take the spot of Scorpion, NEFC, Select, and Stars players if they wanted to travel 3/4 days a week for trainings. But they don't want all that travel for trainings, so they stay put with their friends in RI. So, when you say that the top players around are already on those GA or ECNL teams, it really is not true. 90% of players are not talented enough to be GA or ECNL players, but some get on the team due to things like location where they live, ability to pay the fees for the league/travel, and then there is the 10-15% that make the team because they have multiple siblings at the club and the club does not want to lose the more talented sibling if the less talented sibling does not get a spot in their age group.
            I personally don't.

Comment

My D played with 2 girls which traveled to MA from RI to be on the top team. They were just ok as I remember. Always fighting for minutes but not full starters. One actually jumped between 3 teams to finally settle at the last club where she had a chance at being looked at by a Div 1 school. Just my take on the topic because it’s very interesting.

Comment

Being a big fish in a small pond is not a good thing in soccer. All fish need to leave the small pond to test their worth in the bigger pond. Once you get to the big pond you realize there are a lot similar sized fish and much fewer big fish. This is a good thing to see as a player. It should inspire hard work and trying to become one of the bigger fish.

Comment

The MA clubs collude to keep any RI club from entering GA or ECNL. If either Surf or Bayside got in one of those leagues, the players that they help develop will stay. It's all about money and power. The MA clubs have it and the RI clubs don't.
                  Surf has been around for what, 2 years? and you want them to get into ECNL/GA based on what? surely not their long record of success?
                  Bayside has been around long enough, and produces some quality kids, but their club and coaching reputation, (specifically the club wide bruiser mentality which is so ubiquitous it has to be assumed that it is coached), has to be held against them. ECNL will never happen, but GA seems to be letting clubs in quite easily. Push your clubs to see what efforts they are making to get accepted there.

Comment

RI has a small pool of players and could only pull it off if the town programs supported young kids with talent to leave town and try clubs with premier coaches, facilities and players that could push and challenge those players. There’s currently too many towns that believe staying with your friends from school is what’s important.

Comment

A couple dozen?

So, magically, in the last few years RI suddenly produces almost a full team of players that could magically, and easily, start over any other player in MA?

Put the crack pipe down, Julio.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X