Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Sponsered Private Training

I noticed some ECNL clubs offer private training. Worth it? A way to break into the high teams? pay to play? What are people's thoughts?

Total money grab, not a way in to ECNL clubs. If your kid cant get noticed at workouts or tryouts with a team, then either they are not good enough or the coach isnt paying attention. Does it matter why? Get them more touches somewhere with good coaching and teammates, but do not bank on private training with an ECNL club as anything but a donation.

Comment

I agree it is a money grab UNLESS your kid
      is very borderline, but no way of knowing that or not, so I am back on the money grab boat

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        I agree it is a money grab UNLESS your kid
        is very borderline, but no way of knowing that or not, so I am back on the money grab boat
        Sadly - all of youth soccer is a big money grab! Pay to play, pay to travel, pay for extra training - it’s all about the benjamins - and not about the kids.

Comment

I feel the same way about roofing companies, it always seems it’s about the money. And the lady that teaches my child piano, I don’t understand why she doesn’t do it for the love of music. I have a close friend that is a Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon so I don’t understand why it’s not free, it’s all about the benjamins - and not about the kids.

If you are a member of a club and paying fees and need additional training because your child/player is deficient in certain areas, that club shouldn’t be charging additional fees. If you go outside the club then fees should be required.

Comment

I feel the same way about roofing companies, it always seems it’s about the money. And the lady that teaches my child piano, I don’t understand why she doesn’t do it for the love of music. I have a close friend that is a Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon so I don’t understand why it’s not free, it’s all about the benjamins - and not about the kids.

If you are a member of a club and paying fees and need additional training because your child/player is deficient in certain areas, that club shouldn’t be charging additional fees. If you go outside the club then fees should be required.
            A piano teacher will stop lessons if you aren't progressing.

A reputable roofer won't sell you a new roof if you don't need one.

A surgeon won't operate unless it's needed.

None of the above will cut you loose for exploring other options.

Comment

A piano teacher will stop lessons if you aren't progressing.

A reputable roofer won't sell you a new roof if you don't need one.

A surgeon won't operate unless it's needed.

None of the above will cut you loose for exploring other options.
              A piano teacher will keep teaching as long as you are paying.

A reputable roofer won't do the job for free.

A surgeon didn't train not to make a living,

Comment

I agree with your first point, but lots of kids want additional training to get better, without being “deficient”. I don’t think the club owes that for free. The club has good coaches (presumably) and makes it easy for a parent to find training. That said, there should not be pressure or any issue with parents training elsewhere.

Comment

A piano teacher will keep teaching as long as you are paying.

A reputable roofer won't do the job for free.

A surgeon didn't train not to make a living,

You can also live without piano lessons, or figure it out on youtube (just like soccer, you can play a lot in your neighborhood and backyard and get pretty good ... most of the top players in the world learn without paying 5-8k per year to do it)
                  Live with a shabby roof (or without one at all) and let me know if you find value then
                  Don't get the surgery and let us know how that turns out ... chances are if it is important you will get a 2nd opinion (ever do that with your kid in soccer?)

Comment

You can also live without piano lessons, or figure it out on youtube (just like soccer, you can play a lot in your neighborhood and backyard and get pretty good ... most of the top players in the world learn without paying 5-8k per year to do it)
                    Live with a shabby roof (or without one at all) and let me know if you find value then
                    Don't get the surgery and let us know how that turns out ... chances are if it is important you will get a 2nd opinion (ever do that with your kid in soccer?)
                    You can definitely live without piano lessons, or private soccer training, but we're not talking about whether it's possible to play soccer without training. Most younger kids don't "figure piano out on youtube", they take lessons from an expert so they progress better, learn good habits, and gain knowledge from an expert. Private soccer training is not a requirement, but it's also a perfectly reasonable option for those who want it. I do agree that's it's not a way onto an ECNL team, unless you mean it's a way to improve and hopefully make the team at some point.

Comment

You can definitely live without piano lessons, or private soccer training, but we're not talking about whether it's possible to play soccer without training. Most younger kids don't "figure piano out on youtube", they take lessons from an expert so they progress better, learn good habits, and gain knowledge from an expert. Private soccer training is not a requirement, but it's also a perfectly reasonable option for those who want it. I do agree that's it's not a way onto an ECNL team, unless you mean it's a way to improve and hopefully make the team at some point.
                      I think you are ignoring the fact these kids already train for soccer by paying thousands of dollars to be on high level teams. There really should be no need for private training outside of what the club provides.

Comment

I noticed some ECNL clubs offer private training. Worth it? A way to break into the high teams? pay to play? What are people's thoughts?
                        First, not all kids need privates (or conversely should pay for privates because it's not going to help them that much). Start with questioning if it's needed, do they really want it, what do they hope to get out of it? Don't do them just because others are.

Next if you want to go that route, never pay for privates at the club you're with let alone a coach your kid has already. Any club advertising privates wouldn't get my business. Sure, camps and clinics that's all fine - those are optional, not costly, open to all with no hints of favoritism. But encouraging costly privates when you're already spending thousands? I bet the club is getting a slice of it.

Again, if you want privates ask around to find ones outside your club. You might be able to find 2-3 other players of similar ability to split the cost with.

Comment

Which club is it? Penn fusion? I know they do their own private, total money grab

Comment

Which club is it? Penn fusion? I know they do their own private, total money grab
                            Every club does privates and it is a complete money grab. If you do private training at your own club you admit you are wasting money in your annual dues. Private training could help those on township teams, but is really unnecessary overall. Very few of the top level players go to any private training.

Comment

Every club does privates and it is a complete money grab. If you do private training at your own club you admit you are wasting money in your annual dues. Private training could help those on township teams, but is really unnecessary overall. Very few of the top level players go to any private training.
                              Not at all true. Many clubs don't do it or they enforce a rule that a coach can't train kids on their own teams. But if a club advertises it? Yes that's a sleazy money grab. It also screams "we don't train your kids well!"

And some top players do privates, as well as work hard on their own. Just doing "the usual" team practices and games won't put you ahead of the pack. But if your kid isn't motivated to improve don't waste your money on privates. They have to want it and to put in the "homework" hours to reinforce the work done.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X