Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is Steel Soccer

Can someone explain to me who is Steel Soccer, the PA branch? They seem to have a bunch of new teams (like doubled in size this year), they have a tournament every month (it seems) which is sparsely attended by any team outside of Steel. Most of their teams are in division 3/4 of EDP or Central League. How much are they charging this poor parents? Are clubs now replacing town teams?

Steel were FCUSA, which were the clubs of UK Elite Soccer. Steel soccer have since bought out UKE and therefore all of the FCUSA clubs. The one in Philly has basically replaced Haverford Soccer Club and absorbed all of their teams. Couple of good teams, nothing special though. Think FC Europa but further down the main line.

Comment

So this is a weird one. FCUSA had been around awhile, they had some decent older girl teams but were a very small club, maybe 7 or 8 teams total back in 2020. FCUSA coaches have always been involved with Haverford Soccer Club, coaching their A (Elite) teams and providing supplemental training for the B and C teams. Steel bought FCUSA 2 years ago, then some shady business went down. Haverford basically gave Steel all of their A teams for unknown reasons. These parents went from paying $1200/year at Haverford to $2500/year now that they are with Steel- same coaches, teammates but a different uniform. Most of these teams are in division 3 or 4 at EDP, so it's not close to Europa levels and way too low level for that kind of money. Welp, this is the soccer world we live in..

Comment

That's a shame. Haverford, I thought, had a nice niche which was in between week community teams and expensive top clubs. A nice in between level and cost. Good type of program for lots of athletic kids where soccer might be their second sport or just not looking to play college.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          That's a shame. Haverford, I thought, had a nice niche which was in between week community teams and expensive top clubs. A nice in between level and cost. Good type of program for lots of athletic kids where soccer might be their second sport or just not looking to play college.
          This is exactly spot on. I will never understand how Steel convinced all of these parents to pay $2500 for EDP div 5 teams when they were paying half of that at Haverford.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post

This is exactly spot on. I will never understand how Steel convinced all of these parents to pay $2500 for EDP div 5 teams when they were paying half of that at Haverford.
            Because it was easier than trying to find a new team with the potential to travel further than they want?

Comment

Where do they train

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X