Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boys U7 Travel. Where did your child start? How was the development process?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boys U7 Travel. Where did your child start? How was the development process?

Hi new to the forum. My son is currently 5 turning 6 in April, he loves soccer and is playing for a U7 CSJL travel team. Was wondering what programs are out there in the Queens / Long Island / Westchester area that will help his development. His current coach isn't very positive, and is constantly yelling at them. From what I've read and researched the 5-7 age range is a pretty critical age. I've contemplated pulling him out of the team all together and just sticking to one on one trainings until he's old enough for a travel team that plays in the EPDL. Any advice? Should we join another club? Continue in a negative coaching environment? Or pull him out all together? What clubs compete at this age group? To clarify our team did really well we made a few teams from our group of kids and ended in first in both divisions. How are the big named programs like NYSC, AS Roma, Westchester FC, Auburndale, Gottschee, Met Oval, etc... for this age group? I also noticed a lot of clubs don't have CJSL as an option and don't play EPDL since I believe that starts at U8.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what your experiences have been for your kid boy or girl. Thanks.

Go anywhere with positive, fun coaching that's close to your house amd doesn't cost a fortune. That's it for now. Reasses in a year or 2. He'll be fine. Statistically odds are he'll have stopped playing by high school

Comment

That's young, harder to find an established program I'd think. Take him somewhere he will play and enjoy, then stay with that team as long as he's enjoying it. If he gets to a point where he's a head and shoulders above anyone else, then play the alphabet league game in a few years,. I'm not in your area, but we've played teams from some of those clubs and they all seemed fine to me. Run from parent coached teams, I don't think you'll find that at those clubs. I totally agree with the prior poster, close to home, don't break the bank. And whatever you do, it his sport not yours. Don't be a ahole parent. Only Be encouraging and positive on the sideline, don't take it too seriously. ITS ONLY 6 yr old SOCCER.

Comment

My son has been a part of NYSC for a few years now and began with the program at about your boy's age. The Coach of the Futures team, which includes more advanced 6 year olds, is absolutely wonderful. He provides a stern hand and soccer knowledge, combined with a constant stream of encouragement. He teaches them to be responsible and they work hard, but he recognizes they are 6-7 years old. The best way to begin would be to sign up for the Development programs that occur during the week this Spring. See how he does and how he takes to the environment. If he is good they will recommend he try out for the Futures team, which he would be eligible for next year. As for the other programs in Westchester, they are all fine to get started as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          My son has been a part of NYSC for a few years now and began with the program at about your boy's age. The Coach of the Futures team, which includes more advanced 6 year olds, is absolutely wonderful. He provides a stern hand and soccer knowledge, combined with a constant stream of encouragement. He teaches them to be responsible and they work hard, but he recognizes they are 6-7 years old. The best way to begin would be to sign up for the Development programs that occur during the week this Spring. See how he does and how he takes to the environment. If he is good they will recommend he try out for the Futures team, which he would be eligible for next year. As for the other programs in Westchester, they are all fine to get started as well.
          "Stern hand" "more advanced " ffs they're six years old. Like someone said above an enthusiastic coach that focuses on key fundamentals, minimal travel and commute.

Comment

I agree, Just make it fun for him. If possible, pick up games among other kids with minimal interference. Take them to the park and let them make their own rules and just have them play against each other. As for clubs in NYC area, they are all different. Each school program has their pros and cons at that age for 5-7. Just watch out for the money grabs. Most camps are not worth it. The beauty of New York City, is there is lots of choices. But it’s a catch 22, sometimes there’s too many choices lol. My advice, just go watch a training session or two. Even though I’m guilty of this, its for him not you as the previous post said. In the back of my mind, I wanted my son to be the next Messi lol. So I would be too hard on him and push too much soccer on him at that age. Don’t forget he’s a kid and have him do fun activities that we as kids did as his age.

Comment

As the person who posted about NYSC I understand that some parents may not want a stern hand or recognize levels of skill progression or advancement as meaningful with young children. However my son has an older brother who got him into the game early. So he sought out the training as he wanted to emulate his brother. Additionally, this is why we all have free choice of decisions. You may denigrate a "stern hand." I grew up in a different country and my upbringing may have been different from yours. I respect and believe that children will respect and get more out of structure and authority at a young age. It doesn't mean they are grown ups and should be treated as such. But you would be surprised how kids will respond favorably to a caring but demanding authority figure. Or maybe you won't or you won't appreciate it. That's why this is a free country! You raise your child as you see fit, as will I. I wish you all the best.

Comment

My daughter excelled at 6 yrs old but because she was Asian the coach would keep her on the bench more then the other kids. Anti-Asian racism is present even at the U-Little One age groups. If my daughter would have quit back then she would have never gotten into the college of her choice. All of the obstacles she and I faced throughout the years just made us tougher.

Comment

My daughter excelled at 6 yrs old but because she was Asian the coach would keep her on the bench more then the other kids. Anti-Asian racism is present even at the U-Little One age groups. If my daughter would have quit back then she would have never gotten into the college of her choice. All of the obstacles she and I faced throughout the years just made us tougher.
                  Haven't you had enough Asian whining on the other thread you hijacked?

Comment

Haven't you had enough Asian whining on the other thread you hijacked?
                    You don't want to here the truth. Asians aren't just discriminated against in college ages. It's in the youth ages as well. When an Asian is sat on the bench in the youth ages it is setting a tone for the rest of that child's life. It's a systematic undermining that is taking place. My daughter and I have fought through it but what about the Asian kid who ends up believing that they aren't good enough. Politics against asians does not discriminate age

Comment

You don't want to here the truth. Asians aren't just discriminated against in college ages. It's in the youth ages as well. When an Asian is sat on the bench in the youth ages it is setting a tone for the rest of that child's life. It's a systematic undermining that is taking place. My daughter and I have fought through it but what about the Asian kid who ends up believing that they aren't good enough. Politics against asians does not discriminate age
                      and all other types of immigrants have or still face discrimination as well. The Irish, Italian, Polish, Germans, Hispanics. Then there's Native and African Americans. ALL have faced a tough road here but things are nearly as bad as they used to be. In the end America rewards hard work.

If your kid was sitting it mostly likely wasn't because of discrimination but she wasn't on the right team. NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT RACE. If it damaged her confidence well guess what? Lots of white kids sit on the bench too. You either find a better fit, or you power through it and try to improve.

Comment

Everyone thank you for the insight. I'm definitely going to focus on finding him a program with a positive environment. It's all about having fun and learning to love the game. Finding a coach & program who supports and mirrors that ideology is the next thing on our agenda. If anyone happens to hear of a good positive program where kids are excelling please continue to share. We did hear good things about NYSC and AS Roma.

Comment

My blonde blue eyed daughter rides the bench most of the time and usually its well deserved.

Comment

Hi new to the forum. My son is currently 5 turning 6 in April, he loves soccer and is playing for a U7 CSJL travel team. Was wondering what programs are out there in the Queens / Long Island / Westchester area that will help his development. His current coach isn't very positive, and is constantly yelling at them. From what I've read and researched the 5-7 age range is a pretty critical age. I've contemplated pulling him out of the team all together and just sticking to one on one trainings until he's old enough for a travel team that plays in the EPDL. Any advice? Should we join another club? Continue in a negative coaching environment? Or pull him out all together? What clubs compete at this age group? To clarify our team did really well we made a few teams from our group of kids and ended in first in both divisions. How are the big named programs like NYSC, AS Roma, Westchester FC, Auburndale, Gottschee, Met Oval, etc... for this age group? I also noticed a lot of clubs don't have CJSL as an option and don't play EPDL since I believe that starts at U8.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what your experiences have been for your kid boy or girl. Thanks.
                            Looks like we are going to end up pulling him from the program. We were driving to practice the other day and my son out of no where says "If you lose, you go home" I immediately asked where he heard this and he said his soccer coach always says it on game day. I told him if you lose you try harder, and if Argentina would have went home after the Saudi loss Messi wouldn't have his cup. I really don't want my son be influenced or conditioned by someone who is so negative. They were multiple events similar to this that ultimately is making our decision for us. Thoughts on Gottschee, or Met Oval intramurals?

Thanks again.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X