• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

what style?
    That was a response to the post that I quoted in response

Comment

These are well thought out ideas but they will never be implemented. Your under the assumption that the USSF has some sort leverage with MLS and USL. That will never happen. The professional leagues have no reason operate with all these leagues. They are there own entity and will act in their own best interests. The best players will go to these MLS academies plain and simple. They identify those players who interest them and that’s it. The most exciting part is USL. Now there is a safety net for those players who have yet to mature/ get cut from the academy/work on their skills and development and maybe get another chance. That’s it. Your idea of FIFA going into a room with these owners who have invested hundreds of millions of dollars is nonsense, pure wishful thinking. Sorry, but that’s competitive sports where only a small fraction gets to be identified by a professional organization. The rest get to play for the love of the game. The MLS Academy system is working and getting better each year. Look at how many players from MLS academies are playing in Europe. Look how the U20’s just dominated to qualify for the World Cup and Olympics. The vast majority are MLS academy kids who will soon be off to top clubs as well.
      I think USSF does have leverage with MLS and USL, much like the FA has influence over the EPL or the KNVB over Eredivisie. Without their league being recognized they have no relationship with FIFA. MLS and USSF are absolutely tied. FIFA has rules governing how player transfers occur and how international movement is allowed. So having a league linked to USSF/FIFA is important to MLS.

That being said, you're right that the MLS ownership will act in their best interest and I do believe the improvement in the academy system is occurring. The problem is that there is a lack of organizational structure between the MLS/USL and the youth amateur clubs. Much of this is clearly worked out in other countries. The professional clubs in other countries rely heavily on the youth organizations and leagues for the player pool and the base of the pyramid. What I'm proposing is that this needs to be formalized, structured and that the youth organizations need to benefit from early player identification and development (in exactly the same manner as the rest of the world). It's USSF that is currently holding back solidarity payments (which are required under FIFA) and thus supporting the MLS agenda by allowing them to have free resources on the back of youth organizations.

Just because we are doing better, doesn't mean we are doing as well as we can. I think there are huge structural issues in our youth programs.

Comment

I think USSF does have leverage with MLS and USL, much like the FA has influence over the EPL or the KNVB over Eredivisie. Without their league being recognized they have no relationship with FIFA. MLS and USSF are absolutely tied. FIFA has rules governing how player transfers occur and how international movement is allowed. So having a league linked to USSF/FIFA is important to MLS.

That being said, you're right that the MLS ownership will act in their best interest and I do believe the improvement in the academy system is occurring. The problem is that there is a lack of organizational structure between the MLS/USL and the youth amateur clubs. Much of this is clearly worked out in other countries. The professional clubs in other countries rely heavily on the youth organizations and leagues for the player pool and the base of the pyramid. What I'm proposing is that this needs to be formalized, structured and that the youth organizations need to benefit from early player identification and development (in exactly the same manner as the rest of the world). It's USSF that is currently holding back solidarity payments (which are required under FIFA) and thus supporting the MLS agenda by allowing them to have free resources on the back of youth organizations.

Just because we are doing better, doesn't mean we are doing as well as we can. I think there are huge structural issues in our youth programs.
        And it’s the greed and anti-competitive behavior like that within the current MLS charter that will hold them back. Maybe even take them down in time. They’ve achieved more as a league than many thought they would but they can still fall catastrophically. Anti-trust behavior and case work is clear. The more pressure USL applies the more likely the risk of bad behavior from MLS as they try to have their cake and eat it too.

Comment

Lost 2-0 to Japan. Japan is a quality team so this is their first real test away from the weak concacaf teams.

There is no denying that we are way off in competing with the quality teams

The worst part is that nobody cares. Even the higher ups of US Soccer have low expectations and a lack of pride for our country represented by our national team

There is no driving force to improve

Comment

Lost 2-0 to Japan. Japan is a quality team so this is their first real test away from the weak concacaf teams.

The worst part is that nobody cares. Even the higher ups of US Soccer have low expectations and a lack of pride for our country represented by our national team

Actually I kind of like it so that England and Wales watche a ton of this film and US pulls off an unlikely victory like Rocky vs Drago.

Comment

Actually I kind of like it so that England and Wales watche a ton of this film and US pulls off an unlikely victory like Rocky vs Drago.
              Lol. So it's like the US was playing possum.

Comment

USSF is inept

Comment

USSF is inept
                  Not sure how the US Olympic Committee works but I wonder if they should be the head of all US National Sports Teams

The US Olympic Committee has a drive to succeed. USSF doesn't.

They should be accountable to a higher governing body who actually cares

Comment

Subject change: I’m curious what NYCFC does as far as recruiting in the younger ages. I ask because for U10-U11 (maybe U12) many local clubs seem to fall into the trap of fawning over the short kids due to agility and small field size that favors them in 4 v 4 or 7 v 7. Yet those players start to fade in 9 v 9 and certainly in 11 v 11 as the field gets bigger and the play is less about 1 v 1. Yet in those same ages it’s not hard to see who’s going to grow to be 6 ft (the average height for a pro). Granted there are some generational talents well below six feet, but it’s really the except versus the rule. What’s their city select feeder system look like: a scene from the Hobbit, the land of giants, or a mixture?

Comment

Subject change: I’m curious what NYCFC does as far as recruiting in the younger ages. I ask because for U10-U11 (maybe U12) many local clubs seem to fall into the trap of fawning over the short kids due to agility and small field size that favors them in 4 v 4 or 7 v 7. Yet those players start to fade in 9 v 9 and certainly in 11 v 11 as the field gets bigger and the play is less about 1 v 1. Yet in those same ages it’s not hard to see who’s going to grow to be 6 ft (the average height for a pro). Granted there are some generational talents well below six feet, but it’s really the except versus the rule. What’s their city select feeder system look like: a scene from the Hobbit, the land of giants, or a mixture?
                      It's a mix of sizes. You can't select players at younger ages based on their size. This is exactly the point I have been trying to make.

The US mentality is bigger, stronger, Faster but soccer is much more then that.

At the younger ages, and all ages, you have to look for skill, IQ and athleticism first. If 2 players are competing for a spot and they have the same skill level, athleticism and IQ then you may look to the taller player but height is definitely not something you look for first.

Comment

NYCFC is not out there to develop talent to populate national teams but they are looking for a few hidden gems to be able to ultimately sell. Once solidarity payments are really hashed out and visa issues for US players get facilitated, we will see a real effort to develop more and more players as the MLS accepts its position as a selling league.

Comment

NYCFC is not out there to develop talent to populate national teams but they are looking for a few hidden gems to be able to ultimately sell. Once solidarity payments are really hashed out and visa issues for US players get facilitated, we will see a real effort to develop more and more players as the MLS accepts its position as a selling league.
                          Absolutely it is a business. Their motivation is to make money off a player - either playing for their club or selling them off. If they could train half the number of players they would. Ideally they'd like one oner team and one younger one. Unfortunately because of our geography they're stuck with MLSN and all the age groups.

Comment

Absolutely it is a business. Their motivation is to make money off a player - either playing for their club or selling them off. If they could train half the number of players they would. Ideally they'd like one oner team and one younger one. Unfortunately because of our geography they're stuck with MLSN and all the age groups.
                            Tied 0-0 against Saudi Arabia

Are you kidding me?

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The funnel system to the USNT goes through these MLS teams

Comment

Tied 0-0 against Saudi Arabia

Are you kidding me?

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The funnel system to the USNT goes through these MLS teams
                              Let England, Wales, and Iran soak up that film from this weekend. Going to need to make a critical pivot before the cup otherwise they will crash out in the group stage.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X