Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

Who is “we”? The growth of girls soccer in this country has been astounding. There is a market now and growing that had never existed before. Only someone “new” to the sport like parents of girls now playing that have no clue about what this was like until Title IX. Women’s college soccer in this country is getting better than ever. Go to ECNL events and you will see thousands of girls playing with hundreds of college coaches.The growth of women’s soccer around the world shows how much both men and women care about the continued growth here in the States.
    Yes its lovely to see so many girls PAYING TO PLAY - ECNL costs a fortune and traveling all over the country to events and weekend games out of state is still only available to those that can afford it and parents willing to make the sacrifice for their kids and take time off of work to attend. Yes there could be a scholarship here and there but even those parents have to sacrifice and spend on gas, etc.
    This sport has a LONG way to go especially for women in this country. When you pay max $51K to a female pro who just spent their entire childhood, college years playing and PAYING for soccer its really hard to see a bright future. For the boys playing MLSNext for free its a different story. Girls soccer is not there.

Comment

Nt one is questioning the success of either GT or Princeton. I think the question is would they be just as successful if they played in the Big Ten conference. GT has a big advantage being the dominant team in the Big East.
      Both are very good soccer programs and outstanding schools.

As for GT, they are graduating a lot of their top talent; exhausted eligibility (cummings, cleavery, etc). They were devastated in ncaa loss as they believed this was their year. They are not physical enough for a top p5 conference. They drew level with Big12 WV (who did not make tourney; a surprise but still).

Would have loved to have seen them play UVa or the like. Not sure they would have won.

Comment

I am so sick and tired of hearing about pay to play. Every sport in this country is pay to play unless you are playing pick up games in the park. Soccer is one of the very few that if you are lucky enough to be elite the program is free. AAU, Hockey, tennis, lacrosse, softball, baseball. My kids play in town travel with unpaid coaches on town property and its a grand.

Comment

I am so sick and tired of hearing about pay to play. Every sport in this country is pay to play unless you are playing pick up games in the park. Soccer is one of the very few that if you are lucky enough to be elite the program is free. AAU, Hockey, tennis, lacrosse, softball, baseball. My kids play in town travel with unpaid coaches on town property and its a grand.
          Some are more pay to play then others. Head coaches training players on the side is a direct conflict of interest. Not sure who allows this but clearly it’s shady.

Comment

In some sport programs, the pay to play includes position instruction, field rents/maintenance and office administrative to make sure paperwork is properly completed and filed. All of this has added value no matter what sport.

Comment

Both are very good soccer programs and outstanding schools.

As for GT, they are graduating a lot of their top talent; exhausted eligibility (cummings, cleavery, etc). They were devastated in ncaa loss as they believed this was their year. They are not physical enough for a top p5 conference. They drew level with Big12 WV (who did not make tourney; a surprise but still).

Would have loved to have seen them play UVa or the like. Not sure they would have won.
              Will be interesting to see what happens to a lot of these teams next season as many were top heavy with talent. Look at the recent end of yr United Coaches rankings. If you follow the teams, you will see most listed (and getting votes), will be completely different next season.

Comment

This “pay to play” argument is one of the “go to” excuses of parents along with there argument about their “sacrifices” when there child plays soccer. To that parent town soccer is your solution, your problem is solved.

Comment

If my kids coach is really good and holding a private session I don’t see the issue. If it’s not mandatory and your kid won’t be punished for not attending then it’s perfectly fine.

Comment

You're getting ripped off. Out town is the same with paid coaches.

Yes everything has some element of pay to play, but few sports go as high as soccer. With the big sports many parents played at high levels and help with coaching. Not many soccer parents ever played to the point where they can provide good volunteer coaching. Thr more volunteers thrblower the costs. Lots of sports teams make a concerted effort to fund raise and get sponsors. Not many soccer teams do. Several sports still offer a chance to get noticed in high school by colleges. Almost 100% of soccer recruiting is through club soccer.

Comment

If my kids coach is really good and holding a private session I don’t see the issue. If it’s not mandatory and your kid won’t be punished for not attending then it’s perfectly fine.
                      Lolo. Ok thanks for that.

Comment

Go see what it cost per year for high level travel softball. NJ intensity was soup to nuts is close to $20k, when you factor in privates and travel. If you put you kid in dance or gymnastics it’s extremely expensive. High level baseball with all the extra training is extremely expensive. My daughter is into music her school is not good the extra lessons cost $4k per year. Everything is expensive. Stuck with town teams and you’ll still pay more than you think you should.

Comment

Go see what it cost per year for high level travel softball. NJ intensity was soup to nuts is close to $20k, when you factor in privates and travel. If you put you kid in dance or gymnastics it’s extremely expensive. High level baseball with all the extra training is extremely expensive. My daughter is into music her school is not good the extra lessons cost $4k per year. Everything is expensive. Stuck with town teams and you’ll still pay more than you think you should.
                          People don't get it. Everything is expensive. And congrats on the musical prodigy. Cool.

Comment

There’s pay to participate and there’s stuff the coaches pockets so you can be on the team. There is a distinction. Just ask MS at PDA. He’s an expert.

Comment

There’s pay to participate and there’s stuff the coaches pockets so you can be on the team. There is a distinction. Just ask MS at PDA. He’s an expert.
                              Sally wants to play blue? She’s fast and got a big kick but she can’t use both feet or dribble or turn, or defend. No worries! I will train her 3x times week at our field- don’t bother with Ap2t. Then she will wear the shirt and sit on the bench. If she’s lucky she’ll get to kick the ball up to the goalie for 5 min in one game soon.

Comment

Sally wants to play blue? She’s fast and got a big kick but she can’t use both feet or dribble or turn, or defend. No worries! I will train her 3x times week at our field- don’t bother with Ap2t. Then she will wear the shirt and sit on the bench. If she’s lucky she’ll get to kick the ball up to the goalie for 5 min in one game soon.
                                What’s really sad is when “this Sally” wants to play at PDA Blue and thinks she is talented and athletic enough to compete when everyone around her knows she’s not. Sally then goes around telling her teammates that she would never want to play on another team that she thinks is inferior and not as good. That she thinks she better than all those players. Sadly, this is the scenario that happens a lot. A player who cannot accept the reality of her situation. Parents then blame the club/coaches instead of looking at the truth. It’s easer to come on TS and blame every one else.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X