Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

And what private schools are you talking about? Where are these schools? You assume people have money lying around to send kids to a private school plus pay thousands for a top soccer program plus even more for the outside training. Sure most provide scholarships but having access to and wanting to hand out are two very different things especially since it is money. Not everyone, even with a with a good job, has the ability to fork over $10k-$20k a year for soccer and private school. Some people don't even live in areas where catching a ride to practice or games is even an option.

For a certain NJ ECNL club, rumor has it that coaches were told to cut back on the number of scholarship kids regardless of talent level and to start targeting players in certain geographical locations known for having well off families.
    You are posting on PDA forum - is that said club being told to target certain areas?

Comment

My kids private school has been more valuable than her ECNL team.
      As a parent I agree. Nothing is more important than education. That being said don’t tell me that a private school high school soccer team is comparable to an ECNL Club/team.

Comment

As a parent I agree. Nothing is more important than education. That being said don’t tell me that a private school high school soccer team is comparable to an ECNL Club/team.
        You have never played some of these schools that are loaded with club/ecnl players have you? My niece who is in college now played in the philly interac league. She had about 7 youth national players in the league (some went to nwsl). And played against other private schools from nj etc that had same like pennington, hun, etc. The games were amazing for high school and quite competitive.

Comment

All depends. Manu HS coaches, public and private, are club coaches. Not all are the stereotyped English teacher. League and teammates matter too. Some are very competitive, some painful to watch. Many NE prep schools (boarding, not to be confused with day schools) have some excellent players. Boys prep schools recruit internationally and get some actual studs

Comment

comparable for what?

Comment

Not OP but no one is saying that. It is not written anywhere. The point is that some private schools have stronger connections with top universities for strong student athletes than you may realize. Because many of the private schools send many kids to these schools year after year and have deep relationship with the University. Stronger than an ECNL coach from a club. Does not mean that the ECNL soccer team is better than the private school soccer team. Many of the kids play ECNL and go private and have more success with help from their school. Thats all.

Comment

You have never played some of these schools that are loaded with club/ecnl players have you? My niece who is in college now played in the philly interac league. She had about 7 youth national players in the league (some went to nwsl). And played against other private schools from nj etc that had same like pennington, hun, etc. The games were amazing for high school and quite competitive.
                Facts

Comment

Not OP but no one is saying that. It is not written anywhere. The point is that some private schools have stronger connections with top universities for strong student athletes than you may realize. Because many of the private schools send many kids to these schools year after year and have deep relationship with the University. Stronger than an ECNL coach from a club. Does not mean that the ECNL soccer team is better than the private school soccer team. Many of the kids play ECNL and go private and have more success with help from their school. Thats all.
                  When you say deep relationships between private high school and top universities I agree on the academic front but that has nothing to do on the athletic front. Two separate lanes. If someone said these private school soccer teams have a direct connection with top D1 programs without ECNL then I am saying “No way”. My daughter went to a private school (and yes she had a partial scholarship) because of soccer and they had some good games that were not even close as competitive as her ECNL team. Her high school soccer coach was never contacted by those colleges that she was in contact with. They never attended a high school match nor did they follow what league she played in for high school. What does that mean that they have more success with help from their school. College coaches reach out to club coaches and DOC’s that they trust or have a relationship with. Never heard of a high school teacher/soccer coach giving information to D1 Coaches.

Comment

When you say deep relationships between private high school and top universities I agree on the academic front but that has nothing to do on the athletic front. Two separate lanes. If someone said these private school soccer teams have a direct connection with top D1 programs without ECNL then I am saying “No way”. My daughter went to a private school (and yes she had a partial scholarship) because of soccer and they had some good games that were not even close as competitive as her ECNL team. Her high school soccer coach was never contacted by those colleges that she was in contact with. They never attended a high school match nor did they follow what league she played in for high school. What does that mean that they have more success with help from their school. College coaches reach out to club coaches and DOC’s that they trust or have a relationship with. Never heard of a high school teacher/soccer coach giving information to D1 Coaches.
                    I agree with the poster that discussed philly interac and some nj schools, i remember some of those coaches having attended big programs themselves like uva, so maybe they are offering some info. There are some rare finds like Hallie Mace (who never played ecnl; high school and rec league only). But high school only soccer most times is not the path to top programs.
                    now some coaches or their staff may check in to see if player is good teammate or how they handle grade juggling. I hear that a lot.

Comment

I agree with the poster that discussed philly interac and some nj schools, i remember some of those coaches having attended big programs themselves like uva, so maybe they are offering some info. There are some rare finds like Hallie Mace (who never played ecnl; high school and rec league only). But high school only soccer most times is not the path to top programs.
                      now some coaches or their staff may check in to see if player is good teammate or how they handle grade juggling. I hear that a lot.
                      Not the poster you responded too but no HS is not a path to college ball. Almost all recruiting is done via club soccer/showcases/ID events. A college coach might come watch a HS game (or realistically send and assistant) if it's convenient and the time works. But they will still want to see you up against tougher competition in club games or on their campus. It is a rare player that plays only HS soccer that will find a spot on a college team and when it happens it's likely to be a low level team. You just won't be as fully prepared as the hundreds, no thousands of other players out there who play soccer most of the year. The funnel into college soccer is crazy tight

^ that said, you can enhance your skills with HS soccer. Not every team or coach or competition is crap, despite what some want to have you believe. Add in the intangibles like playing with lifelong friends in front of peers, getting town support, being team captain (looks good on college resumes). There's a reason most players want to play. Not all do and that's fine too.

Comment

All depends. Manu HS coaches, public and private, are club coaches. Not all are the stereotyped English teacher. League and teammates matter too. Some are very competitive, some painful to watch. Many NE prep schools (boarding, not to be confused with day schools) have some excellent players. Boys prep schools recruit internationally and get some actual studs
                        Guys are different. I agree. Union academy is also a high school. Of course those coaches are contacted by college and pro scouts.

Comment

Not the poster you responded too but no HS is not a path to college ball. Almost all recruiting is done via club soccer/showcases/ID events. A college coach might come watch a HS game (or realistically send and assistant) if it's convenient and the time works. But they will still want to see you up against tougher competition in club games or on their campus. It is a rare player that plays only HS soccer that will find a spot on a college team and when it happens it's likely to be a low level team. You just won't be as fully prepared as the hundreds, no thousands of other players out there who play soccer most of the year. The funnel into college soccer is crazy tight

^ that said, you can enhance your skills with HS soccer. Not every team or coach or competition is crap, despite what some want to have you believe. Add in the intangibles like playing with lifelong friends in front of peers, getting town support, being team captain (looks good on college resumes). There's a reason most players want to play. Not all do and that's fine too.
                          These back and forths always interest me.

1. The path for one player is not necessarily the path for another.
                          2. The private Clubs have every interest in convincing you that they are essential when the only service they are guaranteed to provide is convenience. They are a one stop shop and therefore a more economic way for Coaches to shop.
                          3. Dont kid yourself, Coaches will go where the talent is and if a player is that good and the only way they can see her in is HS competition, they will go.
                          4. I have yet to see any Girls HS soccer that enhances skills over and above another level of play or soccer related training could.
                          5. The intangibles you quote are exactly why many of the best prospects dont fit the "model" athlete that you seem to imply.
                          6. Fully prepared for what? College soccer? An alternative PoV would be why take miles off my tires playing on variable quality surfaces with a target on my back with referees who dont enforce the rules in front of parents yelling boot it.
                          7. The reason its rare is because most players realize that if their peers are in the one stop shop, they have to be. The same way that (see 5 and 6) a. players that dont need or want the intangibles you quote dont have to play HS to be seen and some dont bother. b. The Clubs themselves, some at a loss, have every financial incentive in using your money to upgrade the perceived value in the one stop shop.

Comment

2. The private Clubs have every interest in convincing you that they are essential when the only service they are guaranteed to provide is convenience. They are a one stop shop and therefore a more economic way for Coaches to shop.
                            3. Dont kid yourself, Coaches will go where the talent is and if a player is that good and the only way they can see her in is HS competition, they will go.
                            4. I have yet to see any Girls HS soccer that enhances skills over and above another level of play or soccer related training could.
                            5. The intangibles you quote are exactly why many of the best prospects dont fit the "model" athlete that you seem to imply.
                            6. Fully prepared for what? College soccer? An alternative PoV would be why take miles off my tires playing on variable quality surfaces with a target on my back with referees who dont enforce the rules in front of parents yelling boot it.
                            7. The reason its rare is because most players realize that if their peers are in the one stop shop, they have to be. The same way that (see 5 and 6) a. players that dont need or want the intangibles you quote dont have to play HS to be seen and some dont bother. b. The Clubs themselves, some at a loss, have every financial incentive in using your money to upgrade the perceived value in the one stop shop.
                            Great post. Thanks for wrapping it up. Each child is different and the process to play in college is not one size fits all at a college showcase.

Comment

Guys are different. I agree. Union academy is also a high school. Of course those coaches are contacted by college and pro scouts.
                              You are right - the boys are different. My neighbor's son is currently a pro player in Europe but got his start in the US and Canada. The process for him: Played local rec - went to Seton Hall Prep - played basketball and soccer there. Played 1/2 a season at PDA. Was very good at both sports but preferred soccer. By 10th grade he was recruited directly from Seton Hall to play at Georgetown - and then went pro- his parents will not say if he finished college or not -so that part is unknown. His parents said many colleges made the trip to Seton Hall to see him play. Granted he is exceptional. But the point --if your kid is that talented they will come to you.

Comment

The poster is correct that it still is rare for a college coach to go see a HS only player. Top boarding schools for boys sure. Some have Right to Dream kids that are incredible. Buy a passionate soccer player more likely than not plays all year and there's club scholarships out there for talented players. The coach won't go without reassurances that a multi sport athlete wants soccer. Watching a stud slice through poor HS competition may not be enough to convince him or her. At showcases or ID events they can see how you handle (generally) tougher competition.

As for "being ready" yes you better be as ready as you can be to contribute the first day on the field. Will you be if you played basketball and lax while all your teammates are full-time soccer players? Ok maybe an exceptional stud can fit right in, but let's face it- most players aren't exceptional, especially the kids of most TS posters . Not many have the skill level to eschew the club soccer industry, and even if they do they will still need to attend on campus events to prove their worth. Coaches at better programs have 100s of players wanting to play there.

I wish kids didn't have to specialize especially so young. I wish it could wait until at least high school, but it's become almost a necessity because of time and money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X