Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matchfit Academy - Reviews?

I am potentially looking to get my U-little daughter involved over at Matchfit. They seem to now be investing on the youth side and bringing in additional coaches and forming younger teams.

Anyone have experience with Matchfit that they can share?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am potentially looking to get my U-little daughter involved over at Matchfit. They seem to now be investing on the youth side and bringing in additional coaches and forming younger teams.

Anyone have experience with Matchfit that they can share?
    In my opinion they can be a good choice, but it all depends on what you are looking for. They have been around for a while and have played in the top leagues in the country. Now I do know that they are spread thin in the coaching ranks and it seems that everything runs through Bucci.

Comment

Are they still considered a "destination club" ala PDA or World Class? I feel like there used to be kids coming from as far as westchester to play for MF but nowadays i dont hear about them in that conversation.

Comment

Are they still considered a "destination club" ala PDA or World Class? I feel like there used to be kids coming from as far as westchester to play for MF but nowadays i dont hear about them in that conversation.
        They struggle with coaches at the older age groups as Rapier and Bucci want to coach every team, and they just haven't been producing quality. Go with an STA, PDA or WCFC

Comment

They struggle with coaches at the older age groups as Rapier and Bucci want to coach every team, and they just haven't been producing quality. Go with an STA, PDA or WCFC
          Yeah that's the only.........well just a few drawbacks with them. I know they told stories of building a complex years back and they haven't been able to establish in traction in that area. I am all for options for the kids and Matchfit does offer an option for kids to play and be seen.

Comment

As long as they play ECNL, they will attract some talented players. But their lack of their own facility maybe makes them a step below PDA or WCFC

Comment

As long as they play ECNL, they will attract some talented players. But their lack of their own facility maybe makes them a step below PDA or WCFC
              Very true. The are a step below PDA and lets say World Class based on facilities but as far a kids go I think they are all pretty close as far a talent is concerned. They have some very talented kids in their program. The difference in the three programs regarding the kids are that PDA is probably the deepest out of the three then World Class followed by Matchfit. Not saying that one team is better its just it has more options to choose from but Matchfit is still a very talented program. It was a smart move on their part to not go to the DA. Just imagine if they did that would've been club suicide on their part. I think the ECNL fits their club perfectly and that they are developing talent that comes to them just like everyone else. We always have great games against them and no matter what the records are its always a great game.

Comment

Very true. The are a step below PDA and lets say World Class based on facilities but as far a kids go I think they are all pretty close as far a talent is concerned. They have some very talented kids in their program. The difference in the three programs regarding the kids are that PDA is probably the deepest out of the three then World Class followed by Matchfit. Not saying that one team is better its just it has more options to choose from but Matchfit is still a very talented program. It was a smart move on their part to not go to the DA. Just imagine if they did that would've been club suicide on their part. I think the ECNL fits their club perfectly and that they are developing talent that comes to them just like everyone else. We always have great games against them and no matter what the records are its always a great game.
                Very accurate. I think they are struggling at the younger age groups right now, but I hear a lot of people are very unhappy with Cedar Stars, so hopefully Matchfit will get some of their better players

Comment

Very accurate. I think they are struggling at the younger age groups right now, but I hear a lot of people are very unhappy with Cedar Stars, so hopefully Matchfit will get some of their better players
                  Now are they struggling with the age group below U13. When you say struggle do you mean struggle as in fielding teams or as in winning games. I never look at development in terms of winning but only as are kids getting better and gaining skills to move on and be successful at the next levels as high school and in college. I am so proud of our state of New Jersey and although we talk major crap about each other's club lol lol we as a state sure produce some soccer players that are major contributors on their respective teams.

That whole Cedar Stars thing would be a major "KEEP YOUR EYE ON" situation and would be very interesting if MatchFit had a location in Monmouth County as they use to have down at Raritan High School. That would really be interesting. Although I like Cedar Stars as well knowing what I have learned over the winter and end of fall season regarding some coaching stuff that just amazed me. Now would I ever send my kid there.....Nawwwww but I love that New Jersey has options.

Comment

Yes, and the depth thing is directly related to having a facility. It allows the club to maximize available practice space, allowing for more teams without giving up on the amount of practice. Also puts multiple teams at he same facility at the same time so more scrimmages and competition during training sessions.

Comment

If your child is younger than U-13, the focus should be on training versus a decent team. This is of course unless you are in love with EDP and the grossly overpriced leagues and tournaments. Over the past 5 years, there has been an explosion in terms of the EDP league fees, the tournament costs, and public perception:
                      1) EDP is very new, and parents without any soccer knowledge have bought into that "good" teams play in an EDP league.

2) What's most important about children playing soccer U-13 and younger is the not the league, it's developing your child:
                      A) Do they love soccer? Do they love going to practices?
                      B) Outside of team training? Do the children love going to clinics to get better or do they dread that? Will the child practice kicking the ball around with limited supervision? And last question, does the child take the ball everywhere they go without you telling them?

3) The problem with #2 is that if the questions to A and B are yes and good, then a player should be on a team with similarly skilled players. At U-13, puberty is taking effect on boys and girls teams, and the sizes of players range dramatically. So focus on skill, remember: technical, tactical, then physical and psychological.

4) The Academy club issue, youth soccer can be a money making business, that's all it is, a business, not a not-for-profit. Cedar Stars, PDA, Matchfit, WCFC, they don't care about your kids, all they care about is the almighty dollar.

5) So how do I know if my child is "good"? Take them to as many tryouts at Cedar Stars, MF, WCFC, as possible, do they get accepted onto the team without your prodding? You rank your child by how many people want them.

6) Don't forget soccer is a "team sport", a team with many great individual players that have been in the club just 1 year before moving again, doesn't win many games against similar level opponents with very little attrition. Once you pick a club, stick with it, through good and bad. Develop team chemistry.

7) Go to GotSoccer and Youth Sport Rankings US, see what the top 50 teams are in the age group, and go watch a portion of games when they are in your area.

It's not about academy when your child is younger than 13, which is what I think based on the conversations below. Think about your child's development, enjoyment, and competitive level.

Good luck!

Comment

If your child is younger than U-13, the focus should be on training versus a decent team. This is of course unless you are in love with EDP and the grossly overpriced leagues and tournaments. Over the past 5 years, there has been an explosion in terms of the EDP league fees, the tournament costs, and public perception:
                        1) EDP is very new, and parents without any soccer knowledge have bought into that "good" teams play in an EDP league.

2) What's most important about children playing soccer U-13 and younger is the not the league, it's developing your child:
                        A) Do they love soccer? Do they love going to practices?
                        B) Outside of team training? Do the children love going to clinics to get better or do they dread that? Will the child practice kicking the ball around with limited supervision? And last question, does the child take the ball everywhere they go without you telling them?

3) The problem with #2 is that if the questions to A and B are yes and good, then a player should be on a team with similarly skilled players. At U-13, puberty is taking effect on boys and girls teams, and the sizes of players range dramatically. So focus on skill, remember: technical, tactical, then physical and psychological.

4) The Academy club issue, youth soccer can be a money making business, that's all it is, a business, not a not-for-profit. Cedar Stars, PDA, Matchfit, WCFC, they don't care about your kids, all they care about is the almighty dollar.

5) So how do I know if my child is "good"? Take them to as many tryouts at Cedar Stars, MF, WCFC, as possible, do they get accepted onto the team without your prodding? You rank your child by how many people want them.

6) Don't forget soccer is a "team sport", a team with many great individual players that have been in the club just 1 year before moving again, doesn't win many games against similar level opponents with very little attrition. Once you pick a club, stick with it, through good and bad. Develop team chemistry.

7) Go to GotSoccer and Youth Sport Rankings US, see what the top 50 teams are in the age group, and go watch a portion of games when they are in your area.

It's not about academy when your child is younger than 13, which is what I think based on the conversations below. Think about your child's development, enjoyment, and competitive level.

Good luck!
                        You hit the nail on the head with this with the exception on one point. PDA and WCFC ARE verified not for profits. While costs at these clubs may be similar to most, what you get from them is better coaching and facilities.

Comment

OP here --- I appreciate everyone's feedback and comments. I was specifically looking for feedback on Matchfit experience since they have just started to build out the youth program we don't have any friends in the program & any of the younger kids that are in the program are fairly new -- so was looking for feedback on the club in general.

As for the prior poster's comments, I agree with everything that is being stated, we have an older daughter and have down this path before and its not a one size fits all -- each child is different and has different goals.

I specifically didn't give details about my daughter's situation as I didn't really want to veer away from the question at hand regarding MFA. However, right now we are at a situation where she does play at a high level EDP team already and she is the top player on her team. She willingly goes to additional skills trainings each week, has a ball at her feet when she comes home, watches soccer games and is asking when her next practice / game is. And on breaks, when we are not on vacation, asks to go to camps / clinics. However, to keep things in perspective she is younger than U-13, so a lot can change between now and the next few years --- but the main goal here is to keep her loving the game, have her playing with kids that with similar talent / abilities, keep her challenged, continue long term development and to find a club for the long term. Matchfit was on the list, along with PDA, WCFC and STA.

Each club has some pro's and con's for us (whether it be commute, potential player pool, or other) and obviously other research can be done through going to practices, talking to parents, but again -- not the case with MFA as much.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

OP here --- I appreciate everyone's feedback and comments. I was specifically looking for feedback on Matchfit experience since they have just started to build out the youth program we don't have any friends in the program & any of the younger kids that are in the program are fairly new -- so was looking for feedback on the club in general.

As for the prior poster's comments, I agree with everything that is being stated, we have an older daughter and have down this path before and its not a one size fits all -- each child is different and has different goals.

I specifically didn't give details about my daughter's situation as I didn't really want to veer away from the question at hand regarding MFA. However, right now we are at a situation where she does play at a high level EDP team already and she is the top player on her team. She willingly goes to additional skills trainings each week, has a ball at her feet when she comes home, watches soccer games and is asking when her next practice / game is. And on breaks, when we are not on vacation, asks to go to camps / clinics. However, to keep things in perspective she is younger than U-13, so a lot can change between now and the next few years --- but the main goal here is to keep her loving the game, have her playing with kids that with similar talent / abilities, keep her challenged, continue long term development and to find a club for the long term. Matchfit was on the list, along with PDA, WCFC and STA.

Each club has some pro's and con's for us (whether it be commute, potential player pool, or other) and obviously other research can be done through going to practices, talking to parents, but again -- not the case with MFA as much.

Thanks for the advice!
                            Good luck with your search. I suggest staying away from MFA. Just personal reasons from our experience, they are not honest and over load teams. my daughter had teammates who were told they would get play time with the ECNL teams when signing, then never set foot on the field with those teams. Honesty may not get you to have 24 girls on a roster, but it will keep people from complaining about unkept promises

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
                              I knew a family whose daughter was at MF (and may still be, not sure because we lost touch). They seemed satisfied with the experience, but apparently MF looked down upon the kid going to training outside of the club (eg. Red Bulls or other similar programs). I always thought that was weird.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X