Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There were other teams in the tournament as well. Very high quality Barca squad that likely has their pick of any players they want and none of them probably decline since that only probably have to pay a few euros if that. Not much of a comparison to USA pay to play soccer at pda or any other club
    Agreed. But, could you maybe tell a few PDA parents that? Because, they way I've read it, were it not for some extraordinary, mythical circumstances outside the realm of anything experienced by anyone in the human race, they had 'em right where they wanted 'em.

Comment

Travel Town Soccer is club soccer, no? They just play in lower level leagues.
      Montclair match fit United and Mercer match fit are the best pathway to ECNL match fit and a pathway to college. Same shared philosophy, training plans and best coaching. It’s easy to move the players between teams. No team is ever a town travel team. We are one pathway.

Comment

Agreed. But, could you maybe tell a few PDA parents that? Because, they way I've read it, were it not for some extraordinary, mythical circumstances outside the realm of anything experienced by anyone in the human race, they had 'em right where they wanted 'em.
        That seems doubtful that Barca team looked great.

Comment

For most its a prestige thing...Club brands are like driving a BMW/Range Rover to a lot of parents...hence the magnets touting PDA/MFA/ECNL on the back of said cars...

Having played D1(many years ago)... yes there are very, very few full rides available (most D1 teams carry 20+ but have 14 scholarships) and even if you get one ..then playing can become like a job with all the stress of keeping your place there...

Too many players are being pushed thru by parents who hire private coaches and film all games and watch/film all practices and coach/yell from sidelines ….it has gotten out of control.

We did the ECNL thing because I was led to believe it was where the better players played and that would lead to better overall development....but that is not always the case...you need to balance $$, time, and expectations. For some ECNL is the right fit...and yes many of the teams (1st teams) are better than NL teams...PDA Strikers would beat SC 05 team
          having played and watch both of them...but that doesn't mean they play better soccer....
          just means they have the bigger, faster athletes at the moment...
          To see American style vs Europe....watch the ICC final PDA vs Barcelona ...it really highlights
          the diff between rewarding bigger physically aggressive players over technically skilled thinking ones...
          100% correct statement

Comment

Sure, but if Barca had to go through what PDA did, I doubt they've even make it to the plane to get back home.

#Remember the Eleven

Comment

Wholeheartedly agree then. We are in DA, but have zero expectations on college $$. Not even sure my D will want to play in college when the time comes.
              We are in a similar situation, daughter doesn’t think she will want to play in college, and she is on bottom of the barrel ECNL team - not in Jersey. And although we have the money for ECNL I am having trouble justifying the expense and even more so the time involved and the high school social activities she will be missing out on due to all the travel. Yes the competition her ECNL team plays is good but we have been very underwhelmed by the quality and quantity of training. Just don’t know what other team/league will offer the level of play she is used too. And when we talk to people they act like we are crazy to even think about leaving an ECNL team - I guess it is like a status symbol bc I just don’t get what’s so great about it - at least what I’ve seen from her particular team anyway.

Comment

Of course it is a status symbol. That is the whole youth soccer business model. Ecnl and gda are the designer logo brands of youth soccer.

Comment

Montclair match fit United and Mercer match fit are the best pathway to ECNL match fit and a pathway to college. Same shared philosophy, training plans and best coaching. It’s easy to move the players between teams. No team is ever a town travel team. We are one pathway.
                  If you are talking about best pathway to college remove ECNL matchfit part. 4 other better options locally after leaving a town team.

Comment

It wasn't a really talented Barca team but they are a good team. They were clearly younger and smaller but were comfortable on the ball. They spaced the field, involved their keeper in possession and were technically sound. They finished chances and were not intimidated by the physically stronger PDA team who were just trying to race up the field to score every possession.

Comment

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I would bet that for 1/2 the parents on the MF team, college costs are an afterthought. Just look at the car your teammates are driving, and see how many folks complain about the extra costs being added each year. ECNL is a great brand item on your college resume even if you don't end up playing. It's also opened doors to many kids where it's hard to "get in" on academic merit alone. Chances are your kid is also a star on that HS team, which may be an enormous social boost as well.

Comment

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I would bet that for 1/2 the parents on the MF team, college costs are an afterthought. Just look at the car your teammates are driving, and see how many folks complain about the extra costs being added each year. ECNL is a great brand item on your college resume even if you don't end up playing. It's also opened doors to many kids where it's hard to "get in" on academic merit alone. Chances are your kid is also a star on that HS team, which may be an enormous social boost as well.
                        I got my daughter an "enormous social boost" for 6K a year! Mom of the year!!!

I can see it now on the next Matchfit ID session pamphlet. Come get a social boost. Join Matchfit! HAAAAA!!!

Comment

I can see it now on the next Matchfit ID session pamphlet. Come get a social boost. Join Matchfit! HAAAAA!!!
                          6K? What team are you on?

If you’re not in HS, wait until the pecking order based on the badge begins. Money well spent!

Comment

Lot of MF and PDA haters on here. Must be JN stoking the fire. Gives him a break from talking about himself.

Comment

Feedback needed

My kid plays for one of the two dumpster fire PA ECNL clubs - we and many of her teammates drive about an hour to get to practice. Her ECNL team only practices twice a week sometime only once. In short, it seems her club sounds a lot like matchfit with the lack of practices and lack of facilities. Several of the girls including my kid go to out side training. Do most ECNL club players go to outside trainers in addition to their club trainers - just trying to gauge whether this is common place in ECNL teams or not. And one more question is it common for parents that are not professional coaches and don’t hold any soccer licenses to coach their kids at the ECNL level? With tryouts around the corner trying to do my research. TIA.

Comment

Who’s JN????

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X