Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer selects

Im getting invitations for summer select programs, typically $450 for 4-5 weeks practices and 2 tournaments. Worth it or cash grabs? Feels like kids could do just as well playing with other local Kids for that month without shilling out those dollars.

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    Im getting invitations for summer select programs, typically $450 for 4-5 weeks practices and 2 tournaments. Worth it or cash grabs? Feels like kids could do just as well playing with other local Kids for that month without shilling out those dollars.
    It depends on what other soccer options there are. Where would you find these other local kids to play and who would train them? My kid does a bunch of soccer camps over the summer so Summer Select is not really needed until they age out of the camps.

Comment

Generally they are a money grab but $400-450 isn't horrible for a couple tournaments and about 10 trainings IF the training is good. Also, if your kid is moving into 9v9 or 11v11 it's a bit of experience before the season starts in fall.

Comment

Generally they are a money grab but $400-450 isn't horrible for a couple tournaments and about 10 trainings IF the training is good. Also, if your kid is moving into 9v9 or 11v11 it's a bit of experience before the season starts in fall.
        If the club is also providing a summer jersey or even a full kit, just that plus the tournament fees, you are already at $150-200. Its not terrible to keep the kids playing over the summer and mine really look forward to the summer tournaments

Comment

If the club is also providing a summer jersey or even a full kit, just that plus the tournament fees, you are already at $150-200. Its not terrible to keep the kids playing over the summer and mine really look forward to the summer tournaments
          Summer select is a good option

Comment

I generally measure things by $20/practice (1.5 hours) $30/game and and $70/tournament. I think I have seem some clubs offering "super Y" for the summer that is around that price, but it is 6 or 7 weeks with 6-10 games.

So ok, but not great

Comment

We've had good experience with Summer Select at younger ages. Daughter was playing on a "town" team so got the opportunity to regularly play with more skilled players. She was used to being a big fish in a small pond, and learned a lot by falling more to the middle of the roster. Made new "soccer friends" that we see at various events. Met some new coaches, one of whom she then guested for. I think there is tremendous value in young kids getting exposed to playing with different people. Can't speak to summer for older kids because, well, my kids are still young.

Comment

Good for young ages. Older need the time off to get ready for high school

Comment

Good for young ages. Older need the time off to get ready for high school
                  Truth….or it leads to another thread on the topic of burn out!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X