Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer Cleats

For a u12 player, does spending more on a pair of cleats make any difference? I see prices range for a decent shoe anywhere from $55 all the way up to $245. Does is even make sense to even consider that upper price range, aside from the fact they will grow out of them in a year or less.

you dont need the super expensive ones, but dont get the cheapest if you can avoid that, either. Think of it as safety/injury prevention. Better even is to do enough research and avoid using the wrong traction for the surface. No bladed studs on turf or artificial grass.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      For a u12 player, does spending more on a pair of cleats make any difference? I see prices range for a decent shoe anywhere from $55 all the way up to $245. Does is even make sense to even consider that upper price range, aside from the fact they will grow out of them in a year or less.
      There is a big jump between the $55 to the “better” clear - not sure why nothing in between. Soccer.com has sales on the better cleat that isn’t the newest style. Also have found pairs on stockx as well. You can get a $255 pair for $100 if you look.

Comment

D plays GA and has Nike Pro grass but Adidas .3 turf. Both have held up well with the turf being used more. Usually the higher up you go the better quality boot. No need to buy the Elite or + boots. They are very nice but not really needed at the younger or even HS ages. The most important thing is to use the right cleat for the field and make sure they fit correctly. I would say the cheaper club/academy Nikes feel really cheap but our experience might not be the same as others.

Comment

There is a big jump between the $55 to the “better” clear - not sure why nothing in between. Soccer.com has sales on the better cleat that isn’t the newest style. Also have found pairs on stockx as well. You can get a $255 pair for $100 if you look.
          “Prices range” you imbecile. Re-Read the OP post.

Comment

RT at MFS gives the 09s free cleats.

Comment

When my daughter was U12 she only wore turf shoes with the rounder cleat bottom. In the Northeast they primarily play on turf. At this age they play on bad turf fields. Parents beware.

Comment

We never spent more than $100 on a pair of cleats for D until she got to college. No issues whatsoever.

Comment

We never spent more than $100 on a pair of cleats for D until she got to college. No issues whatsoever.
                  With the potential for injury (ACL/MCL/Meniscus) the last thing you want to do is buy cheap soccer shoes with cheap products and cheap cleats. The downside and potential for injury wearing cheap shoes on bad worn out turf fields should be of concern for every parent.

Comment

When my daughter was U12 she only wore turf shoes with the rounder cleat bottom. In the Northeast they primarily play on turf. At this age they play on bad turf fields. Parents beware.
                    For my D, the turf shoes hurt her feet, plantar fasciitis. No support at all. Switched back to wearing grass cleats on the turf (good ones with arch support - unfortunately the $200+ ones) and it went away immediately. Before the question is asked- she does not have flat feet or any other podiatry issues.

Comment

With the potential for injury (ACL/MCL/Meniscus) the last thing you want to do is buy cheap soccer shoes with cheap products and cheap cleats. The downside and potential for injury wearing cheap shoes on bad worn out turf fields should be of concern for every parent.
                      What makes cheap cleats any more likely to lead to injury?

Comment

Expensive cleats offer absolutely nothing in terms of reducing risk of injury for a player. The advantages of expensive cleats to a player are things like being lighter or more durable. Other than that, there is almost no difference, and certainly nothing that would make a difference to a u12 player.

Comment

It’s really not how expensive they are. It’s a matter of what type of playing/practice surface they will play on. Parents end up buying the wrong type of clear and the kids end up with foot issues.

Firm Ground (FG), Soft Ground (SG), Artificial Grass (AG), and Multi Ground (MG) and describe the construction of your sole/studs. It's to determine what type of surface you play on.

Comment

What makes cheap cleats any more likely to lead to injury?
                            Cheap cleats give less support and are prone to breakdown quickly. Not made to be durable. Seen plenty of kids wearing cleats that are coming apart. To each there own. My daughter puts a lot of effort and dedication into playing soccer. The least I can do is get her good cleats, not the cheap ones. Proper cleats is the most expensive equipment for a reason.

Comment

Cheap cleats give less support and are prone to breakdown quickly. Not made to be durable. Seen plenty of kids wearing cleats that are coming apart. To each there own. My daughter puts a lot of effort and dedication into playing soccer. The least I can do is get her good cleats, not the cheap ones. Proper cleats is the most expensive equipment for a reason.
                              I agree with this. Especially for a growing kid. Once they finish growing you don’t need to buy as often. Also the whole FG, MG is new and doesn’t apply to the fields in our country. My kid has played all over the country and it’s a gamble what they will play on. Strong support is key for the growing years. the cheap cleats just don’t have the support.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X