Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School excuse letter

Do I even bother submitting the tournament excuse letter to school for DS missing a few days to attend showcase? Will the school even consider it?

Check school/district policy on this. Every district treats this stuff differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Do I even bother submitting the tournament excuse letter to school for DS missing a few days to attend showcase? Will the school even consider it?
      Does hurt to try. Our district it will be an absence.

Comment

Doesn’t

Comment

Actually the state has rules on absences, not the districts (although some administrators will give you some leeway). Missing for a youth sporting event will count against their total days. It's not a college visit which is treated differently.

Comment

When we had this come up I reached out to the athletic director at my daughters school for guidance on how to handle this with the school administration. They were very helpful in navigating this issue and it worked out because everyone was honest and saw this as not an excuse but saw it as part of her dedication to her sport and wanting to play soccer in college. A note from the DOC of the club and the athletic director at her school helped to make it work for all.

Comment

When we had this come up I reached out to the athletic director at my daughters school for guidance on how to handle this with the school administration. They were very helpful in navigating this issue and it worked out because everyone was honest and saw this as not an excuse but saw it as part of her dedication to her sport and wanting to play soccer in college. A note from the DOC of the club and the athletic director at her school helped to make it work for all.
              That is the exception to the rule. Most administrators, even ADs do not see it as a necessity. Going on an actual college visit (which of course you could claim as such) is a necessity that all students are entitled to. To schools and the state athletes shouldn't be treated any differently than a non athlete taking a few days for a family vacation, which is also no a necessity.

​​​​​​Teachers will have varying degrees of cooperation so make sure your kid checks in with all of them before they leave and during.

Comment

That is the exception to the rule. Most administrators, even ADs do not see it as a necessity. Going on an actual college visit (which of course you could claim as such) is a necessity that all students are entitled to. To schools and the state athletes shouldn't be treated any differently than a non athlete taking a few days for a family vacation, which is also no a necessity.

​​​​​​Teachers will have varying degrees of cooperation so make sure your kid checks in with all of them before they leave and during.
                That’s your opinion as a parent for your child that you do not see it as a worthy reason to miss school. I do, and as a parent we all make those kinds of decisions. Playing soccer in college is a goal that my daughter is working hard to achieve. You see it as equal to a family vacation, I don’t. If you think going on a vacation to Cancun is the same as a student who has been in discussions with college coaches and is going to be seen at a college showcase then we will agree to disagree.

Comment

That’s your opinion as a parent for your child that you do not see it as a worthy reason to miss school. I do, and as a parent we all make those kinds of decisions. Playing soccer in college is a goal that my daughter is working hard to achieve. You see it as equal to a family vacation, I don’t. If you think going on a vacation to Cancun is the same as a student who has been in discussions with college coaches and is going to be seen at a college showcase then we will agree to disagree.
                  Dude its what the schools and state see as a necessity or not. Playing in a sports tournament isn't a necessity to them or me frankly. It should count the same as a vacation but not the same as a college visit

Different poster

Comment

In my brief experience with this they’re more than likely going to tell you it’s not an excused absence. At the end of the day who cares. She misses a few days. Doesn’t hurt to try though.

We have a U17 National Team player who was invited to attend camp for a South American country. Not only would they not excuse her absences, but they told her that if she missed 2 consecutive weeks of school that she would be automatically unenrolled from the district. While most schools aren’t this strict, I find it hard to believe that any student would be excused for a “showcase”.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Comment

In my brief experience with this they’re more than likely going to tell you it’s not an excused absence. At the end of the day who cares. She misses a few days. Doesn’t hurt to try though.

We have a U17 National Team player who was invited to attend camp for a South American country. Not only would they not excuse her absences, but they told her that if she missed 2 consecutive weeks of school that she would be automatically unenrolled from the district. While most schools aren’t this strict, I find it hard to believe that any student would be excused for a “showcase”.
                        We have had the same experience. The schools could care less if you are playing a soccer game or going to Mexico.
                        According to the laws of the district and state it is not considered as an excused absence. It's not a big issue if you don't go over the allowed number of unexcused absences per year (find out from your school what that number is - some do it by quarter). However, missing school isn't great in the older years - we were very strict that our kid had to finish all her work and couldn't hang out until it was all completed.

Comment

We have had the same experience. The schools could care less if you are playing a soccer game or going to Mexico.
                          According to the laws of the district and state it is not considered as an excused absence. It's not a big issue if you don't go over the allowed number of unexcused absences per year (find out from your school what that number is - some do it by quarter). However, missing school isn't great in the older years - we were very strict that our kid had to finish all her work and couldn't hang out until it was all completed.
                          They do pile on the work in high school so students definitely have to keep up and in touch with teachers

Our district requires lre approval for anything like this where you know in advance of the absence - vs an unexpected illness absence. I think they do that to check a student's absences and flag issues ahead of time

Comment

This is why private schools are better with all of this. They support all areas where the student is looking to challenge and excell in areas along with academics. They realize most colleges want well rounded students whether it is athletics, arts and music, theatre, and academic arenas (like hs jeopardy etc.). The obligation of the student to get in work before and after is worked out with each facility member. It is similar to traveling with sport and other activity like band, etc. in college.

Comment

Who cares what the school counts/doesn't count since it's your kid do what you want. I would recomend they talk with their individual teachers for work missed but other than that they have no right to any info.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X