Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

The reforms you are referring to are “add on” that are in addition to the terms and conditions of the NLI. The NLI is a non enforceable letter of understanding based on the goodwill of both sides. It’s renewed yearly up to four years. Anyone whose daughter has signed an NLI (incl P5) knows that either party can (and have) walk away from an athletic scholarship/commitment to the college prior to the start of classes. There is no enforceability if the students grades suffer or have character issues between November and when the student reports to school. It’s renewable scholarship until the student or school says it’s not.
    Of course, i noted previously the obligations of the student-athlete. It is a conditional arrangement between the parties. And the NCAA has conditions that the athlete must meet to be eligible to compete (academics; drug testing; conduct, etc).

Comment

All the more reason to have a backup plan if you're counting on athletic money to complete your college education. You never know what might happen, by choice or not.

Comment

The reforms you are referring to are “add on” that are in addition to the terms and conditions of the NLI. The NLI is a non enforceable letter of understanding based on the goodwill of both sides. It’s renewed yearly up to four years. Anyone whose daughter has signed an NLI (incl P5) knows that either party can (and have) walk away from an athletic scholarship/commitment to the college prior to the start of classes. There is no enforceability if the students grades suffer or have character issues between November and when the student reports to school. It’s renewable scholarship until the student or school says it’s not.
        Yes technically both side can walk away from the contract. but don't assume many cases as the breaking up comes from students side. As far as I know, majority of the break up usually come from the school. Someone stated earlier, these coaches are no different from youth coaches(some of them are same people). They lie, they only care about themselves. There is no moral. As soon as these coaches find out the player they like more after NLI or verbal commitment or whatever, boom, they tell committed players "I am sorry, I cannot accept you because of your grade, and your character. It is not my fault, your fault."

Comment

Yes technically both side can walk away from the contract. but don't assume many cases as the breaking up comes from students side. As far as I know, majority of the break up usually come from the school. Someone stated earlier, these coaches are no different from youth coaches(some of them are same people). They lie, they only care about themselves. There is no moral. As soon as these coaches find out the player they like more after NLI or verbal commitment or whatever, boom, they tell committed players "I am sorry, I cannot accept you because of your grade, and your character. It is not my fault, your fault."
          The scenario you lay out does not happen often. And now that NLIs correspond more with the timing of EA and ED decisions its all wrapped up by the holidays. NLI signings used to be in February.

If a coach pulls that often enough people hear about it and avoid him. If a coach does it it's a bit of a blessing to find out now. He's not the kind if coach you want to play for.

Comment

To much of the focus is on Divisions and Conferences. The RIGHT school for your Daughter is what matters most. There are great D3 schools. In fact merit scholarships and a chance to play for 4 years sometimes outweighs what the Power 5 schools have to offer. The end game is the education. The game is a foot in the door.

Comment

Again, another falsehood, college coaches do not conduct themselves like club coaches. College coaches answer to the AD. It’s the cub mentality of some parents and players that have not changed or grew up which is the problem.

Comment

Again, another falsehood, college coaches do not conduct themselves like club coaches. College coaches answer to the AD. It’s the cub mentality of some parents and players that have not changed or grew up which is the problem.
                Not the op amd I agree that poster is overly exaggerating the number of sleazy ahole coaches out there. Sure there's a few but they also don't last long. Loads of coaches are tough, but that doesn't mean coaches intend to screw whoever they need to. Many players - and their parents - have a rough adjustment into the realities of college sports. It definitely isn't club.

Comment

ches

Your wrong. I have known students who have signed the NLI in November tell Coaches in April they changed their mind, no problem. My daughters NLI said nothing about being a binding legal agreement. She fully understood she had to maintain her grades and GPA. Show me a court case where a college was held libel for breaking an NLI.
                  You must not be familiar with contracts. A contract is a legally binding document. The NLI is a contract. Like most contracts the NLI includes the terms of the deal and gives both parties the ability to exit and the terms of the exit. Seems to be some confusion about what a contract is. Like any contract if one party is willing to let the other party out, they can do that. That happens in this situation for a number of reasons.

Comment

You must not be familiar with contracts. A contract is a legally binding document. The NLI is a contract. Like most contracts the NLI includes the terms of the deal and gives both parties the ability to exit and the terms of the exit. Seems to be some confusion about what a contract is. Like any contract if one party is willing to let the other party out, they can do that. That happens in this situation for a number of reasons.
                    As has been stated before but is worth repeating - the NLI "contract" has multiple ways out, just like many regular contracts do too.

Comment

Another falsehood. The National letter of intent (NLI) is just that a non binding letter of the intent of the parties that has multiple stipulations. The NLI is just an understanding that has no legal basis. There is no mention in this letter stating that it is a contract between the parties. Enough with your misinformation. Contracts are enforceable in a court of law while the NLI is not. Show us a case brought before a court of law vs. a university regarding the enforceability of this letter. It was stated earlier a student could sign a NLI in November and change their mind in April with no recourse by the college. Same with the university (which is rare) but has happened for numerous infractions. NLI is not legally binding and it not an enforceable contract.

Comment

What does this mean??

Comment

What does this mean??
                          See post 114

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X