Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College recruitment

How does it work? Like, not D1- but D2 or 3. How involved should the club coaches be? If a player gets noticed at a college showcase by a college coach, what happens next?

im new to this level of soccer and I’d love some actual insight. Thanks!

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    How does it work? Like, not D1- but D2 or 3. How involved should the club coaches be? If a player gets noticed at a college showcase by a college coach, what happens next?

im new to this level of soccer and I’d love some actual insight. Thanks!
    College coaches don't window shop at showcases. They come to watch players who reached out to them first and expressed interest in the program and school. Yes occasionally another player might catch their eye but really they are on the sidelines to see specific players.

Prior to showcases players should reach out to coaches with a resume and a 2-3 minute highlight video, and the game schedule once available. Double check with your team coach to make sure you're' either starting first or 2nd half (since a coach is trying to showcase the team you may not always be playing both halves and coaches only come for 20 minutes or so to watch). Club coaches can make phone calls at this point to help get coaches to come see you; they also can do followups after the events to get coach feedback. Most won't do a thing unless you ask them and even then some are lazy AF. Players should always followup as well.

But taking a step back first, your club coach or DOC should give some guidance as to types of programs your player should be targeting. If they don't, take a look at their prior placements then look up those players, see if they have been playing in college (if at all). Study rosters at schools of interest (always assess school fit first, then look at the soccer fit). Targeting the right level programs is critical for success. A lot of players start too high then are scrambling to readjust their targets

Comment

College coaches don't window shop at showcases. They come to watch players who reached out to them first and expressed interest in the program and school. Yes occasionally another player might catch their eye but really they are on the sidelines to see specific players.

Prior to showcases players should reach out to coaches with a resume and a 2-3 minute highlight video, and the game schedule once available. Double check with your team coach to make sure you're' either starting first or 2nd half (since a coach is trying to showcase the team you may not always be playing both halves and coaches only come for 20 minutes or so to watch). Club coaches can make phone calls at this point to help get coaches to come see you; they also can do followups after the events to get coach feedback. Most won't do a thing unless you ask them and even then some are lazy AF. Players should always followup as well.

But taking a step back first, your club coach or DOC should give some guidance as to types of programs your player should be targeting. If they don't, take a look at their prior placements then look up those players, see if they have been playing in college (if at all). Study rosters at schools of interest (always assess school fit first, then look at the soccer fit). Targeting the right level programs is critical for success. A lot of players start too high then are scrambling to readjust their targets
      I concur with this advice. Let me add in my experience that unless your daughter is proactive with emails, texts to the coaches directly and doing their homework about good college fits then you half way there. If a parent has to push their daughter to do these things or think that coaches will find her then your wasting your time. I started taking my daughter to camps/clinics at colleges she was interested in attending and were a good fit for her soccer wise. This gave her a chance to tour the schools first. If your daughter stands out at these camps/clinics and gets identified then these coaches will scout her at showcases they attend. The main thing going forward is your daughter’s motivation. Does she really want this or does the parent want it more. It has to be about her goals. If she is proactive and is all in then your on the right path.

Comment

That is not fully true. My niece never sent out any emails. All of her interest came from coaches who were watching others.

Comment

That is not fully true. My niece never sent out any emails. All of her interest came from coaches who were watching others.
          Ok that was her experience and she must have been a stand out player. Like the poster said it can happen but not often. Do not rely on the hope of being discovered. Getting recruited takes work, especially for a more typical player. There's lots of "typical' players out there and you need to do what you can to get a coach's attention.

Comment

I concur with this advice. Let me add in my experience that unless your daughter is proactive with emails, texts to the coaches directly and doing their homework about good college fits then you half way there. If a parent has to push their daughter to do these things or think that coaches will find her then your wasting your time. I started taking my daughter to camps/clinics at colleges she was interested in attending and were a good fit for her soccer wise. This gave her a chance to tour the schools first. If your daughter stands out at these camps/clinics and gets identified then these coaches will scout her at showcases they attend. The main thing going forward is your daughter’s motivation. Does she really want this or does the parent want it more. It has to be about her goals. If she is proactive and is all in then your on the right path.
            Absolutely the player has to be willing to put in the work. This is their job for awhile, getting recruited.

It can be tempting as a parent to help with emails etc (it gets very busy for awahile) but do not do it. Coaches can smell parent involvement a mile away. Obviously help with proof reading, doing practice interviews or simply being a sounding board if your kid wants the help. Otherwise stand back.

Comment

Then your niece is the exception. This advice for 99.9% is absolutely true.

Comment

excellent advice. Thank you’

Comment

For a change, informative posts based on parents experiences with college recruitment. All very informative and helpful. A lot to think about.

Comment

Wow that’s awesome but never heard of this happening at random- do you know where and what age it happened? Was she a NJ club player or did they see her at HS game? Really curious to know. Thanks!

Comment

What kind of interest did she get?

Comment

Wow that’s awesome but never heard of this happening at random- do you know where and what age it happened? Was she a NJ club player or did they see her at HS game? Really curious to know. Thanks!
                        Don't listen too him. That outcome is rare. Players need to do the heavy lifting. The advice above about figuring out what kinds of programs to contact, researching them and then contacting coaches is how most players get recruited. Cast a wide net because even with research there's sometimes a bit of luck involved too

And nearly all recruiting is done through club soccer. HS is a non factor. A local college might send an assistant coach to watch a HS game if its close and fits their schedule, but they will also want to see you in the club environment against better competition.

Colleges also run ID events, but again do your research on fit first. They cost money and it can add up. Usually they're paying the most attention to players they've seen play already so you need to stand out.

Comment

I do know of this happening once. A girl I know was recruited by a coach who happened to be at her game looking at another player. She stood out- but she was also one of the top players in her position in the state playing on a high level town team. It’s rare but it happens.

Comment

I do know of this happening once. A girl I know was recruited by a coach who happened to be at her game looking at another player. She stood out- but she was also one of the top players in her position in the state playing on a high level town team. It’s rare but it happens.
                            Posters seem to agree it can happen but it's rare and it's for the standouts. "Hope is not a plan" lol

Comment

a) kids need to research the schools "reach schools", "core schools" and "safety schools" that show up at tournaments and reach out to coaches accordingly
                              b) parents need to market kids during games since many coaches that were not necessarily invited show up and take a brochure, and leave a card (many coaches who show up are not even listed)
                              c) this is another opportunity to reach out to coaches that you may not have originally intended to contact and say "thanks for coming to my game"
                              d) your coach and DOC needs to be diligent and forward interest from coaches back to you

just so happened that my daughter was really recruited via B/C/D rather than A. but you cant really discount any of the elements on the process

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X