Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seacoast Academy teams

Do all girls academy teams practice out of Epping exclusively?

Yes. They use various facilities in the winter and four tourneys/showcases, but otherwise in-season training and games have always been in Epping

Comment

How good are the Seacoast GA Teams? How do they compare with MA ECNL Nationals and GA teams? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        How good are the Seacoast GA Teams? How do they compare with MA ECNL Nationals and GA teams? Thanks!
        They don’t compare. Very weak teams. Look at the GA standings. Unless you have an 06, terrible product. Seacoast should make DPL the top level and move everyone down. Many of their academy teams would struggle against the good DPL and Impact teams.

Comment

I wouldn't say very weak. Mediocre or worse. Some years record doesn't show it but their scores are close. Other years they get blown out by the MA teams. Seems to be once a kid hits HS they need to commit to drive to Lancaster. At younger ages I am not sure the car ride is worth it as they will miss way too much back home/doing hw in the car.

Comment

They don’t compare. Very weak teams. Look at the GA standings. Unless you have an 06, terrible product. Seacoast should make DPL the top level and move everyone down. Many of their academy teams would struggle against the good DPL and Impact teams.
            I see that the 09s and 08s are at the middle of the standings, the 06s are doing great and the 10s and 07s are at the bottom. That is better than ECNL Stars White in average and around the same as Scorpions. Is it because ECNL is a more competitive league? How would you compare ECNL White and Scorpions against Seacoast?

Comment

I see that the 09s and 08s are at the middle of the standings, the 06s are doing great and the 10s and 07s are at the bottom. That is better than ECNL Stars White in average and around the same as Scorpions. Is it because ECNL is a more competitive league? How would you compare ECNL White and Scorpions against Seacoast?
              You can’t compare different leagues like that. Make no mistake that Seacoast would be at the very bottom of ECNL in nearly every age. What age is your daughter?

Comment

You can’t compare different leagues like that. Make no mistake that Seacoast would be at the very bottom of ECNL in nearly every age. What age is your daughter?
                the seacoast GA kids get what they want out of it better exposure than dpl, impact and ECRL. This focus on teams rankings is for parent egos and doesn’t mean as much as you think as kids get older college coaches don’t care if your team wins 7-0 or loses 3-2, they watch the player. Don’t fall for the clubs that teach you about records and the dads puffing out their chests to their buddies and moms posting on the gram.

Comment

the seacoast GA kids get what they want out of it better exposure than dpl, impact and ECRL. This focus on teams rankings is for parent egos and doesn’t mean as much as you think as kids get older college coaches don’t care if your team wins 7-0 or loses 3-2, they watch the player. Don’t fall for the clubs that teach you about records and the dads puffing out their chests to their buddies and moms posting on the gram.
                  Not every kid plays soccer because they hope to eventually play in college. Some kids actually enjoy the game and like to win more than they lose. Stop belittling kids for having a competitive drive. The best players do.

Id be very wary of any club who only sells you on the college dream without regard to who your kid is today. Females aren’t getting rich off pro soccer. College is as good as it gets. Might as well enjoy your youth career. It all ends someday.

Or as they say: those who can, do. Those who can’t, preach development. Never forget that winning is a byproduct of true development.

Comment

Not every kid plays soccer because they hope to eventually play in college. Some kids actually enjoy the game and like to win more than they lose. Stop belittling kids for having a competitive drive. The best players do.

Id be very wary of any club who only sells you on the college dream without regard to who your kid is today. Females aren’t getting rich off pro soccer. College is as good as it gets. Might as well enjoy your youth career. It all ends someday.

Or as they say: those who can, do. Those who can’t, preach development. Never forget that winning is a byproduct of true development.
                    I get your point but you could say exactly the same about Stars White and Scorpions ECNL for example. Some of their teams have not won a single game during this season. Why would you consider them better than a Seacoast GA team in that case? Wouldn't you "very wary" of them as a parent of an 09 or 08 player for example? Aren't they offering you really just the college dream too?

Comment

The issue is depth. We have experience in both leagues and there are several players who can and have done well when going from Seacoast to an ECNL team. They could get a result here and there. The more they played the more the gap would show. Starting 11 v 11 it would be close. It’s beyond that where the difference is. Truthfully it’s the same when you compare White to Blue teams. White has an 11 which can hang, barely, V Blue but once you roll subs its difficult

Also varies by age group. I can tell you a couple of years ago within a two-week span Scorpions beat White in an ECNL game and lost to Seacoast in a Tournament. Wouldn’t be commonplace but it can happen. Again varies by age group but in one Seacoast generally competed over the years V NEFC the golden child of GA around here, but struggled against Oakwood and SSS.

So generally Seacoast would be near the bottom of an ECNL setting but would compete with most teams. Their commits are a step down, same as White from Blue. But they are putting players at colleges and some are succeeding. Again, it’s about depth.

I think the coaching is top notch.

Don’t believe anyone who makes blanket statements without direct knowledge. We’ve seen and experienced both directly

Comment

You are playing both sides.

On one hand, you are telling us that some kids have a competitive drive because they concentrate on wins and losses, then defend that same lack of competitive drive for not wanting to compete at the highest levels. Sounds like they want success, but not the hard work that goes into it.

The reality is, results matter. They always do and everyone acknowledges it, despite the appearances. Someone is keeping score, they all want to win. However, some are looking at a bigger picture, Playing a competitive, close, hard fought game is a more enjoyable experience then just spanking someone 10-nil. That shlt gets boring, real fast. Nobody is going to remember that time your kid beat that hobunk team in April when they were 16. It's a memory lost, so enjoy it.

I am curious, though, why you seem to think anyone is being "sold", and you make it sound like it's against their wishes. Parents are looking for a product. Clubs provide the product. If they weren't looking, clubs wouldn't be selling. Nobody is getting rich, but for the lucky few -and they absolutely do exist- the money they are able to save on tuition certainly sets them up when starting out in life.

Agree, winning is part of development. So is losing. It's all part of the package and should always be a goal, but if given two extreme choices:

1) Team goes undefeated in a small environment and nobody beyond the parents know about it
                        2) Team is competitive, has a poor overall record, but individuals on that team are noticed for their play and are given the opportunity to play beyond HS

I'll take the latter 100% of the time. Life has risks, don't shy away from them.

Comment

I am curious, though, why you seem to think anyone is being "sold", and you make it sound like it's against their wishes. Parents are looking for a product. Clubs provide the product. If they weren't looking, clubs wouldn't be selling.
                          You provide the proof in the next sentences (below). Only a tiny number of kids - the "lucky few" are getting meaningful money towards college. But hundreds or thousands of players every year are being told are being told - by clubs, by you - that college $ are a reason to play club soccer.

For the vast majority of kids for whom "the opportunity to play beyond HS" is real, you can spot them early in the process. And coaches do, starting before HS. If you are pitching "the opportunity to play beyond HS" to any kids but the standouts out good teams, that makes you a con man.

Nobody is getting rich, but for the lucky few -and they absolutely do exist- the money they are able to save on tuition certainly sets them up when starting out in life.

Agree, winning is part of development. So is losing. It's all part of the package and should always be a goal, but if given two extreme choices:

1) Team goes undefeated in a small environment and nobody beyond the parents know about it
                          2) Team is competitive, has a poor overall record, but individuals on that team are noticed for their play and are given the opportunity to play beyond HS

I'll take the latter 100% of the time. Life has risks, don't shy away from them.

Comment

The issue is depth. We have experience in both leagues and there are several players who can and have done well when going from Seacoast to an ECNL team. They could get a result here and there. The more they played the more the gap would show. Starting 11 v 11 it would be close. It’s beyond that where the difference is. Truthfully it’s the same when you compare White to Blue teams. White has an 11 which can hang, barely, V Blue but once you roll subs its difficult

Also varies by age group. I can tell you a couple of years ago within a two-week span Scorpions beat White in an ECNL game and lost to Seacoast in a Tournament. Wouldn’t be commonplace but it can happen. Again varies by age group but in one Seacoast generally competed over the years V NEFC the golden child of GA around here, but struggled against Oakwood and SSS.

So generally Seacoast would be near the bottom of an ECNL setting but would compete with most teams. Their commits are a step down, same as White from Blue. But they are putting players at colleges and some are succeeding. Again, it’s about depth.

I think the coaching is top notch.

Don’t believe anyone who makes blanket statements without direct knowledge. We’ve seen and experienced both directly
                            I agree on this analysis. Depth wise seacoast has 7-10 players depending on the team that can hang with anyone else. The problem is there are a few starters who are below level and the benches are thinner talent wise than the MA clubs.

Comment

You provide the proof in the next sentences (below). Only a tiny number of kids - the "lucky few" are getting meaningful money towards college. But hundreds or thousands of players every year are being told are being told - by clubs, by you - that college $ are a reason to play club soccer.

For the vast majority of kids for whom "the opportunity to play beyond HS" is real, you can spot them early in the process. And coaches do, starting before HS. If you are pitching "the opportunity to play beyond HS" to any kids but the standouts out good teams, that makes you a con man.

Well, a few points:

First, not with a club, just a parent like anyone else.
                              Second, I am fortunate that my kid will play in college, and will be compensated to do that. We are very, very well aware of how lucky we are. Up until actual discussions and money was tossed around, I was extremely pessimistic on the whole thing.
                              Third, my kid was most definitely not spotted early in the process. She had a desire, but kids mature differently and while she was (in her parent's view) a pretty good player, she hadn't matured until into HS enough for a serious consideration. I sincerely doubt anyone would suggest where she is today was a logical path then. In fact, one coach even told us as much: They saw her play as a freshman in HS and was not impressed, but over the next few years he became so.
                              Last, this is like any other endeavor. There are funnels everywhere. Not every kid who is great in mathematics and dreams of being a rocket engineer, will. Not every skier on the slopes will end up in the Olympics.

I do agree parents have a misplaced goal that the end goal of all this will end up with a scholarship. My kid's early teams, talking U10 or so, it was the chatter. Of all those players, only two will play in college. Most flamed out before HS, and the rest became pretty good HS players. Parents talked openly about it. I had a coach privately tell me "hope y'all have a backup plan". They just didn't pitch that idea early on. The odds aren't realistic.

In summary, yeah, my comments were originally likely misplaced upon further review. Because as you get closer, the chase becomes more real I can see the argument the clubs push it. I guess I was realistic to avoid it to avoid being "that dad" at all costs, but there's validity in your points.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X