Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odp

Got the ODP email yesterday. Daughter is interested. Plays on a DPL team. Is there any value? Can anyone explain more about it? They tryout for the winter program and then select state team I guess. Are tryouts a formality or are kids actually cut?

Everyone gets invited to ODP it’s open tryouts versus other states it’s invite only. ODP is open training then they cut for spring games. NH ODP is trying but nH can’t compete much against other states other than Maine due to population and the really good kids are in GA or ECNL. Also you don’t even have to go to the June tryouts you can go when trainings start too.

if you want a day of extra training all winter and to buy another uniform and travel to a few states then sure but it’s not college exposure or anything. But NH ODP is trying to make it better it’s just hard that if you have more ODP activities then conflict with club for friendlies etc. or adds more to the weekends of soccer. The best thing to do is look at the schedule they have for trainings and locations thst might help you make a decision.

Comment

ODP's real value existed before the proliferation of Nationally-based leagues, and the Clubs that followed. It was the only real vehicle to gain this type of exposure. Yes, that was over a dozen years ago.

That being said, for many players who cannot make the commitment that is required for the above mentioned leagues, it's a solid alternative. From NH you won't find many of the "top" (i.e. all-state HS and/or top-level club) players, but you will find a few. In that case, it's redundant and wasteful, but people are allowed to spend their money how they wish. Rosters are made up of mostly town travel-based players, NPL players, and 1-2 that are in GA or ECNL (see: redundant). To be clear, some of those players are quite good, they just aren't "seen" enough so this helps them. State teams compete against other states, (NH typically doesn't do too well), and they pool players per Region for additional activities. NH is in Region 1, with ME, VT, MA, CT, RI, NJ, and NY. Competitions do draw a smattering of college scouts.

Being in DPL, specifically, hard to answer. You are in a league that gives decent exposure. But, not quite as much as some others so I could see the benefit.

I'm not a particular fan of the coaches, but someone else may find them to their liking as that's a personal decision.

How's that for a non-answer, LOL?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X