Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town teams charge for tryouts?

Our town soccer program is notorious for being poorly run by a group of dads only out for their little super star kids. They give themselves big discounts, arrange the schedule around their “club” schedule (kids all play for the same bottom feeder club), etc. Now they’re charging for tryouts. Never asked to pay to tryout for a town program. Is this normal in NH?

Hilariously corrupt and incompetent

Comment

Play in a near-by town. Most towns don't have residency requirements. Run away from this town as fast as you can.....

Comment

Yeah Thai situation won’t get better run away. But also if you get a shirt for tryouts maybe that is what you are paying for.

Comment

No shirt. Told to wear a specific color t-shirt.

Comment

Yep, this is why we left town for club soccer. Sad you have to pay 3x as much just for a fair system, but we just couldn't take the corruption and team rigging of the town dad pack any longer. Club politics were actually refreshing in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              Yep, this is why we left town for club soccer. Sad you have to pay 3x as much just for a fair system, but we just couldn't take the corruption and team rigging of the town dad pack any longer. Club politics were actually refreshing in comparison.
              Sadly, you have daddy coaches at the club level as well (FC Stars NH). Do your homework before paying a ridicilous amount of money for club soccer that amounts to nothing more than glorified town soccer with a fancy badge.

Comment

Sadly, you have daddy coaches at the club level as well (FC Stars NH). Do your homework before paying a ridicilous amount of money for club soccer that amounts to nothing more than glorified town soccer with a fancy badge.
                Exactly and that’s the majority of NH clubs if they are a satellite of the main club.

Comment

I’m sure I know which club this is based on the fact that they’ve been posting it all over. This particular town club has one of the worst reputations. The board is a revolving door and anyone who isn’t in line with treating the team that the presidents son is on as royalty is forced out. I know personally 6 board members who left in the last year due to the president and he either just leaves vacant positions to have more power or fills them with more parents from his two kids teams. There’s all kinds of dirty stuff in youth sports but this is one of the worst. I was an athlete myself and remember all kinds of bad stuff but nothing like this.

I know this because we had 2 kids here for a few years. Volunteered to coach a rec team and was spoken down to by the dads in charge because I questioned one of the many wrong things they were doing. Ran into one of the few helpful people later and she was practically in tears over things that happened with the “men” in charge. I won’t post the specifics but very one sided and selfishness across the board. She resigned the following week. We decided right then that we were done volunteering our time and moved our children to another club. Yes it’s more money. No it’s not perfect. But it’s 1000 times better than the town club.

Comment

Some towns do it when they hire independent evaluators to run the tryouts and avoid appearance of bias. This way the parents not on the pre made list of players dont get mad.

Comment

Some towns do it when they hire independent evaluators to run the tryouts and avoid appearance of bias. This way the parents not on the pre made list of players dont get mad.
                      That would make sense but this town just has the usual dad crew making the decisions

Comment

That would make sense but this town just has the usual dad crew making the decisions
                        Sounds like you need to volunteer and get involved to improve vs. criticize from the lawn chair.

Comment

Sounds like you need to volunteer and get involved to improve vs. criticize from the lawn chair.
                          Lol…as stated above (I’m not the OP) I already tried. Coached and was essentially told to shut up and mind my business. They dont even hold public meetings so no chance for input. In the last 18 months I can think of 11…ELEVEN…people who were essentially chased off the board because they weren’t in line. I initially thought six but thanks to your little dig I took a minute to count. 11 people who cared enough to volunteer their time and were essentially shown the exit for not getting on board with the fact that the president wants a dictatorship for his sons team to get whatever they want. I moved my kids to a better run club team but I hear they don’t even pay the full fees anymore. Not sure how you can defend that but my guess is you have a vested interest, either as part of the in crowd themselves or the former crook in charge terrified that the books are going to be examined too closely?

The OP is not the bad guy here. The President of this particular towns org is not okay.

Comment

This scenario plays out in every sport. In fact have found baseball to be far worse than anything else. The small circle of dads get in, then basically ban everyone else from any participation.

Comment

I’m dying can I get a hint of the town? This is crazy. Been a decade since I was involved in a town league like this and while bad, this sounds beyond that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X