X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 v 11 Roster Size

How many is too many?

Personally I like 16. Could go to 18. But the problem is the makeup of those players. Are they dedicated and make everything? Or are the multi-sport players/those with other interests?

Realistically my ideal would be 4 subs - one each for outside backs, same for outside mids, one for center-mid and one at fwd (based on a 4-4-2, fluctuate it how you want if formation changes).

Two goalies is a conundrum. Never enough PT for both but sucks if there’s an injury and you only have one

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Personally I like 16. Could go to 18. But the problem is the makeup of those players. Are they dedicated and make everything? Or are the multi-sport players/those with other interests?

Realistically my ideal would be 4 subs - one each for outside backs, same for outside mids, one for center-mid and one at fwd (based on a 4-4-2, fluctuate it how you want if formation changes).

Two goalies is a conundrum. Never enough PT for both but sucks if there’s an injury and you only have one
      Depends on age and level: Below U15 (16/17), above U15 (18 w/two goalkeepers). I'd carry 18 all the way through if they'd have all matches, all ages, 90 minutes. But at the younger ages, there just isn't enough player minutes per game for the full roster.

Also, 2gk is needed at the older ages, not just for training purposes, but for personal development (they need to feel the same pressure to perform as the field players). If I have two relatively equal goalkeepers we map out the season or event and they play full games (unless I choose to make a change due to lack of performance). Switching at the interval is ridiculous, it changes the game and a goalkeeper earning a shutout should get to play. This way if you have two equal goalkeepers they know which matches they will start/play and no one has to go in cold w/o a proper warm up.

Comment

18 field players is ideal with 5 or 6 subs in the regular rotation. 2 keepers is a necessity but only one gets the bulk of playing time. Worst thing with keepers is taking one and turning a field player into a GK mid game. 16 plays well IF your outside players are fit enough...

Comment

18 field players is ideal with 5 or 6 subs in the regular rotation. 2 keepers is a necessity but only one gets the bulk of playing time. Worst thing with keepers is taking one and turning a field player into a GK mid game. 16 plays well IF your outside players are fit enough...
          A club is ethically obliged to make sure both GKs get a fair shot at developing. Either each plays a half or they rotate games. Only having one GK is a playing with fire, you have to have two.

Comment

In the HS years you will be missing a few players due to injuries, school visits etc. It's not uncommon for rosters to even be more than 20 but I think that's piggish. I've no issue with 18 - 20 and most times only 18 can dress for a game regardless. Sure 16 would be great but you're never going to see it in any of the better leagues. Clubs know there is a demand.

Comment

20 is too much. That’s club greed taking over.

Comment

If you enjoy roster sizes > 20, then FC Stars NH is the club for you!

Comment

If you enjoy roster sizes > 20, then FC Stars NH is the club for you!
                  I’d rather pull my own fingernails out with a pair of pliers

Comment

At u15 they tend to be larger to sustain a team through high school some kids will move on to other things. So it’s good business and good sustainability. Bad for playing time for a few kiddos.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X