Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODP worth it?

Can someone explain the situation with ODP? Worth it or waste of time?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why don’t you decide for yourself. Better yet - let your kid decide.

Comment

Waste of time. As has been discussed here for years its for rich kids who’s parents are looking to waste more money. Most of the teams are rich south shore select girls. Total waste of time.

Comment

haha or search back a bit for the TS thread with 25 pages of discussion

Comment

haha or search back a bit for the TS thread with 25 pages of discussion
          Can you post a link I keep getting 0 when I try to search

Comment

Waste of time. As has been discussed here for years its for rich kids who’s parents are looking to waste more money. Most of the teams are rich south shore select girls. Total waste of time.
            totally predictable response from a disgruntled parent.

ymmv but the state pool is made of top players from wide variety of teams, including Select (although if there is any club over represented it is probably NEFC). The kids selected from MA are for the regional pool and teams legit top level talent. gaining friends across MA teams and towns is a hidden plus for the program.

tons of valid reasons not to do it as well (including schlepping to Lancaster every monday in the spring).

Comment

Can you post a link I keep getting 0 when I try to search
              search appears to be broken. here's the most recent one tho-

http://www.talking-soccer.com/TS4/sh...d.php?t=165253

i'm going to start posting links to my responses from that thread haha

Comment

Redundant if you are already in a nationally-based league. You won't gain anything that you aren't already getting.

If not, it's another quiver in your aresenal and I'd encourage it; if you can stomach the standard youth soccer complaints about costs, travel, etc.

Comment

You’re late. ODP is basically over for the year.

Comment

Redundant if you are already in a nationally-based league. You won't gain anything that you aren't already getting.

If not, it's another quiver in your aresenal and I'd encourage it; if you can stomach the standard youth soccer complaints about costs, travel, etc.
                    i think it is more nuanced than that for the list teams-

the top of the top national teams are actually doing ODP because then they can get entrance to the regional and national pools. maybe it is redundant if you are the lower half of those list teams, are already "practicing up" and wouldn't have a shot at the regional pool.

Comment

So here is my 2 cents from a fairly new parent to ODP. If your kid is on a competitive team that practices 3+ times a week and you are happy with the level of competition and development then don’t bother. If they are on a team that is playing in a lower division and you want to try and see if they make it then go for it. The training is not horrible and it does expose them to other coaches and kids from other teams. As for the pathway, it essentially comes down to probably 18 regional team spots for 300 kids.

Comment

You’re late. ODP is basically over for the year.
                        Not really OP question but yes the cycle starts with tryouts in Nov. Indoor training every other weekend through the winter and then every Monday in the spring. Those chosen for the state and regional pool play on through various events and games over the summer and in the fall.

Before the explosion of club soccer ODP was the only path. Now it is just one of the paths. And TS being TS there are people who will argue that any/all of the paths (other than ECNL) are the wrong path. (ps Have you heard that they only way to D1 is through ECNL?! It's not too late- Scorpions ECNL ID event is tonight!)

Comment

Not really OP question but yes the cycle starts with tryouts in Nov. Indoor training every other weekend through the winter and then every Monday in the spring. Those chosen for the state and regional pool play on through various events and games over the summer and in the fall.

Before the explosion of club soccer ODP was the only path. Now it is just one of the paths. And TS being TS there are people who will argue that any/all of the paths (other than ECNL) are the wrong path. (ps Have you heard that they only way to D1 is through ECNL?! It's not too late- Scorpions ECNL ID event is tonight!)
                          Yes, but it isn't a very good path.

Comment

Yes, but it isn't a very good path.
                            certainly not compared to ECNL, amirite?

Comment

totally predictable response from a disgruntled parent.

ymmv but the state pool is made of top players from wide variety of teams, including Select (although if there is any club over represented it is probably NEFC). The kids selected from MA are for the regional pool and teams legit top level talent. gaining friends across MA teams and towns is a hidden plus for the program.

tons of valid reasons not to do it as well (including schlepping to Lancaster every monday in the spring).
                              Same in RI. Definitely worth it to play with many of the top players across the clubs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X