Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College commitments - take a look at a list

There are a lot of general comments and claims on the board about college commitments, but very few facts. Have a look at a current list and see if it is what you expected.

Below is the current FC Stars list of 2023 commitments. It has 35 names across all of the teams, boys and girls.

Comments:
    1. Congratulations to every player, they made this choice because it is the right one for them. If they got some money for the insane cost of college, even better.
    2. Most or all of these colleges are schools that students would get into with or without soccer, for a group this large with the demographic of club soccer. They have parents with money, access to good public and private schools, etc.
    3. The list seems short (there are around 120 kids or more on these teams). It seems likely it is incomplete. But it is still a useful sample.
    4. There are a number of Impact players listed. (At this age group, Stars has a good team.)

Here's the list minus the names, with a quick sort by team.

FC Stars Team College Commitment
    03/04 ECNL White Connecticut College
    04/05 Central Elite Vermont State University Castleton
    04/05 ECNL Hamilton College
    04/05 ECNL Blue Johns Hopkins University
    04/05 ECNL Blue Northeastern University
    04/05 ECNL Blue University of Massachusetts Lowell
    04/05 ECNL Blue NYU
    04/05 ECNL Boys UCONN
    05 ECNL Blue Fairfield University
    05 ECNL Blue Tufts University
    05 ECNL Blue University of Vermont
    2005 ECNL Blue Temple University

04/05 ECNL Regional Colby-Sawyer College
    04/05 ECNL Regional Colby-Sawyer College
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue Holy Cross
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue Bentley University
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue St Anselm College
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue Southern New Hampshire University
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue Bentley University
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue Wheaton College
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue UMass Boston
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue St Lawrence University
    04/05 ECNL Regional Blue University of New Haven
    04/05 ECNL Regional White Denison University
    04/05 ECNL Regional White William Smith College
    04/05 ECNL Regional White Assumption University

04/05 NPL Impact Lehigh University
    04/05 NPL Impact Blue Worcester State University
    04/05 NPL Impact Blue Le Moyne
    04/05 NPL Impact Blue Bridgewater State University
    04/05 NPL Impact Blue Norwich University
    04/05 NPL Impact White Worcester State University
    04/05 NPL Impact White Bentley University
    04/05 NPL Impact White Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
    04/05 NPL South Umass Dartmouth

Source
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1804066549

I'm guessing you covered about half the commits on this list, can't tell for sure but entire teams seem to be missing.

This is better:

https://www.starsofma.org/alumni-commitments

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      I'm guessing you covered about half the commits on this list, can't tell for sure but entire teams seem to be missing.

This is better:

Not the case. The post is just the 2023 commitments, from the 2023 link from that same page.

It seems early to talk about 2024, more will be added over the next year. And if you want to add the 2024 commitments (19) to the discussion, you have to double the player pool for all the teams that are added.

Thanks for verifying that is the list.

Comment

Not the case. The post is just the 2023 commitments, from the 2023 link from that same page.

It seems early to talk about 2024, more will be added over the next year. And if you want to add the 2024 commitments (19) to the discussion, you have to double the player pool for all the teams that are added.

Thanks for verifying that is the list.
        The entire girls 2023 National White team is missing and by my quick glance, half the 2023 grads from the National Blue team are missing. Comparing the two, it comes to just about half of yours showing on the other. I also know of a half-dozen players who didn't put their name into either list - just not their style.

You're welcome for verifying you provided an incorrect list.

Comment

The entire girls 2023 National White team is missing and by my quick glance, half the 2023 grads from the National Blue team are missing. Comparing the two, it comes to just about half of yours showing on the other. I also know of a half-dozen players who didn't put their name into either list - just not their style.
          Click on the links. It's the list Stars has posted. What should we be looking at?

Comment

Click on the links. It's the list Stars has posted. What should we be looking at?

This is the list Stars posted:

Not sure what the other one is. Found a whole other team excluded from the original one.

Comment

This is the list Stars posted:

Not sure what the other one is. Found a whole other team excluded from the original one.
              I see the problem....if you go to this site:

If you click on the list, it takes you to the other, original list which is incomplete. As I've said in the past, these folks know soccer, not administration....

Instead, don't click, just scroll down and the full commits are shown there.

Comment

Take 2: Have a look at the list at this page, scroll down to see the list of 2023 FC Stars commits. It is already sorted by team and shows the colleges. Is it what you expected, from talking to other parents and/or from reading this forum?

ECNL Blue - 16
                ECNL White - 9
                ECNL Boys - 3
                Regional Blue - 10
                Regional White - 3
                Regional Boys - 2
                Impact - 8
                Other - 2
                NH EDP Blue - 11

Comment

Take 2: Have a look at the list at this page, scroll down to see the list of 2023 FC Stars commits. It is already sorted by team and shows the colleges. Is it what you expected, from talking to other parents and/or from reading this forum?

ECNL Blue - 16
                  ECNL White - 9
                  ECNL Boys - 3
                  Regional Blue - 10
                  Regional White - 3
                  Regional Boys - 2
                  Impact - 8
                  Other - 2
                  NH EDP Blue - 11

While I understand you aren't including the 2024's, some of them are on the 04/05 teams and yeah, they will be counted again if the same exercise is done next year.

But, if one DID include the 2024's the Blue would have a minimum of 20 and White would have a minimum of I think 18 or 19 since some don't post their details. Reminder the rosters for this age group are larger, in the 22-25 range.

Comment

ECNL Blue - 16
                    ECNL White - 9
                    ECNL Boys - 3
                    Regional Blue - 10
                    Regional White - 3
                    Regional Boys - 2
                    Impact - 8
                    Other - 2
                    NH EDP Blue - 11

How can this be right? I learned on TS that only Blue players get to play in college.

Comment

Yes, the EDP and Impact commits are interesting.

Comment

Yes, the EDP and Impact commits are interesting.
                        I know a few will freak out but I’ll say it anyway. If the Stars 5th level Impact team can get D3 (and a low level D1) commits, then it stands to reason a top Impact player on a top Impact team could do better. No, not your almighty “P5” schools but mid D1. The difference? That’s not what they desire and not why they play for the most part. However I think in the 2025s and 2026s you will see a few mid D1 commits out of DPL and Impact.

Comment

This will not be a popular take, but you have to give stars credit. It appears Stars is doing a good job of capturing talent AND then giving them opportunities to play in ECNL, ECNLRL, EDP, IMPACT and so on.

Comment

Agree there are some not great schools on that list. Wonder how many kids could have gone to better academic schools and played club soccer.

Comment

I know a few will freak out but I’ll say it anyway. If the Stars 5th level Impact team can get D3 (and a low level D1) commits, then it stands to reason a top Impact player on a top Impact team could do better. No, not your almighty “P5” schools but mid D1. The difference? That’s not what they desire and not why they play for the most part. However I think in the 2025s and 2026s you will see a few mid D1 commits out of DPL and Impact.
                              If it weren't Stars you wouldn't see more than 1-2. Look at commits from other league clubs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X