Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Quality Vs Playing Time

I'm sure this has been beat to death but looking for honest assessments.

At what age is it better to have your child be a bench player on a stronger team (playing and contributing, but not having heavy minutes) Vs having heavy minutes on a weaker team?

Looking at clubs for my youngest and wondering which approach is better and when that approach should possibly shift, if ever.

We are looking at the usual suspects FC, NEFC etc. and just looking for general perspective not factoring in the whole ECNL Vs GA aspect of it.

I'm assuming until a certain age the more time playing better (even if they could make the better team - then again I can talk myself into thinking they're training against better talent so maybe the better team is better regardless of game time)

Appreciate any advice from folks who navigated this before.

If it helps the conversation - daughter will be turning 9 this summer.

how does not playing help?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      I'm sure this has been beat to death but looking for honest assessments.

At what age is it better to have your child be a bench player on a stronger team (playing and contributing, but not having heavy minutes) Vs having heavy minutes on a weaker team?

Looking at clubs for my youngest and wondering which approach is better and when that approach should possibly shift, if ever.

We are looking at the usual suspects FC, NEFC etc. and just looking for general perspective not factoring in the whole ECNL Vs GA aspect of it.

I'm assuming until a certain age the more time playing better (even if they could make the better team - then again I can talk myself into thinking they're training against better talent so maybe the better team is better regardless of game time)

Appreciate any advice from folks who navigated this before.

If it helps the conversation - daughter will be turning 9 this summer.
      Your kid is far too young for you to be worrying about this yet. Make sure she is having fun and getting better (prioritize in that order). Below u14, every kid should get at least half of a game in playing time.

-Stars Blue ECNL parent

Comment

Agree with above. Playing a ton matters in the younger years. And even past U14 rhey still need meaningful minutes. The player's ability to handle less PT matters too. If it's going to be emotionally rough thrn go where they will play more

Comment

If the kid is not getting minutes then it’s not the right level/team. Go where your kid will play and build confidence as well as being a good leader.

Comment

I’ve been navigating this myself. My gut tells
            me put her on a team that might not be too but has an excellent coach, who cares about the kids, and your kid likes the team. Higher level teams play higher level competition and she will climb up that ladder when she and the coaches think she’s got down the fundamentals. I’ve always felt kids can’t gain confidence and learn the game unless they get playing time. It’s also no fun to ride the bench at u14. My kid wants to be on the top team in her club but she’s 12 and I have watched other girls she used to play with lose confidence and love for the game by moving up too fast. Too much too soon can be bad.

Comment

Playing time!!!!!

Confidence is EVERYTHING in soccer. Plus, you develop by PLAYING. Plus it's much more fun.

Get a rep for being the best player on the team and opportunities will come knocking.

(Parent with a son now playing in college).

Comment

Playing time!!!!!

Confidence is EVERYTHING in soccer. Plus, you develop by PLAYING. Plus it's much more fun.

Get a rep for being the best player on the team and opportunities will come knocking.

(Parent with a son now playing in college).
                Playing is a big part of learning. It is part of what you are paying for. Dont buy the BS about playing time being earned. You pay the same as everyone else. If your child is honest with you and you dont get caught up in the BS, you can decide whether its worth the cost or not. Honest question - If you join a club where you child is not considered for meaningful PT, why would it change over time? Are you betting on her outworking players the coach thinks is better over time? Are you sure the same way you joined, they wont continue to recruit and you may fall down the pecking order? DO parents asks themselves these questions?

Comment

Put her on highest team where she can be competitive.
                  Make sure the coach is competent.
                  She should be having fun. I don't mean recess fun.
                  At that age, she should play more than half a game.

Regardless of what club you choose, make sure you go to their headquarters location. Satellite regions are never taken seriously or given real consideration.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, they are what I assumed but wanted a sanity check.

I just wasn’t sure if practice time against better competition trumped more game time against weaker competition (also practice would be against weaker competition )

Also I wasn’t thinking it’s a concern now at 9 but more curious when folks found that should be more of a concern - seems lost most say not until above U14.

Comment

I would make the move for the U14 year myself. That’s when it starts to be less fun for the girls anyhow, so might as well ramp up the competition. If she’s not willing to practice on her own though, just let her putter around on a lower team with her friends.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, they are what I assumed but wanted a sanity check.

I just wasn’t sure if practice time against better competition trumped more game time against weaker competition (also practice would be against weaker competition )

Also I wasn’t thinking it’s a concern now at 9 but more curious when folks found that should be more of a concern - seems lost most say not until above U14.
                        She's 9??? Walk away now if this is your attitude, way too soon to be freaking out over a badge that's two yrs away

Comment

She's 9??? Walk away now if this is your attitude, way too soon to be freaking out over a badge that's two yrs away
                          Never once did I bring up a badge ask for club advice etc.

Relax - it was a question for future planning - I said it doesn’t apply now but curious what others before me found to work for them.

Thought this was a site for discussion and reference.. I was generally interested in how others approached it, it’s called asking for advice and listening.

thanks for the honest feedback all, was very helpful.

Comment

Never once did I bring up a badge ask for club advice etc.

Relax - it was a question for future planning - I said it doesn’t apply now but curious what others before me found to work for them.

Thought this was a site for discussion and reference.. I was generally interested in how others approached it, it’s called asking for advice and listening.

thanks for the honest feedback all, was very helpful.

Wrong site, if you came here for advice. Must be new. Find a coach who will focus on development. You need to take a major step back if you're talking about stronger/weaker teams at 8. Come back when she's 11, the age that teams form a Pre-ECNL/GA team. For now enjoy the innocence of the game, plenty of time for it to be corrupted by off field favors and other nonsense. Relax and enjoy the next 2-3 yrs

Comment

Wrong site, if you came here for advice. Must be new. Find a coach who will focus on development. You need to take a major step back if you're talking about stronger/weaker teams at 8. Come back when she's 11, the age that teams form a Pre-ECNL/GA team. For now enjoy the innocence of the game, plenty of time for it to be corrupted by off field favors and other nonsense. Relax and enjoy the next 2-3 yrs
                              Even u12 is way to early to get crazy about all of it. My kid is a u17 ECNL player. Less than 1/2 of the players on her team’s roster were on the “pre-ECNL” team. Follow your kid’s lead. By late u14, things start really ramping up and the funnel tightens significantly. By that age, no kid is going to commit the time and effort required just to please an overly invested parent. The kids that really want it for themselves are the ones that make it through the high school years on the top teams.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X