Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid-level players

I know lots of talk about top players etc here. But I have a mid level player. Midlevel as in middle of DPL middle school team roster. I see DPL and impact as mid level. ECNL regional at this age group also mid level. None of our players will be D1 but many of these players want to play soccer past high school into college. My daughter works hard, lacks speed and confidence yet has a good first touch and makes good decisions. Definitely the late bloomer as the other middle school girls are taller and gone through puberty. What’s your advice to the parents of this type of player willing to work hard but might not ever be on the top team. Is one club, one league, pathway a better investment of time. Will some clubs focus in on these players helping them reach full potential? We know that they aren’t recruited being on NPL or ECNL R, or Impact teams. We know we will setup those ID camps and try to learn how to target wisely. Just wondering what advice is out there since I think there’s a lot of this type of player.

Invest more in your 529. I'm not being flippant but you admitted she's not fast or confident. Making it through HS and into the college ranks requires that plus the skills, even for lower level teams. Yes you might find a coach/team that improves her confidence, some. She might work with a personal trainer that improves her speed, some. Mid level players can get recruited but the odds are far lower. There's more youth players at her level vs ECNL and GA combined.

Perhaps the two of you sitting down and looking at the rosters of lower level teams will show her the odds (many will list their youth clubs). Don't just look at who is one the roster but who plays the most. Have her attend a local multi school ID event to see if she can keep up/compete against others. Or at a low level program that might be a fit but isn't one she's interested in. Maybe she'll do better than expected? She won't know without at least trying. But try to keep expectations in check.

Comment

Focus on the coach and the environment. Lack of confidence can come from bad environment. At this age coaches, who remember have zero training how to deal with teenage girls and the emotions of this age., aren’t the right fit. Watch specifically the coach at a game and practice. How do they address issues, hold kids accountable. Lack of confidence can come from being with a coach that doesn’t provide a place for kids to make mistakes and learn from them. Which is essential. Do they get pulled the second they make a mistake for example so then the kid starts to take no risks or it restricts their decision making. If you can find a coach that has worked with teens for a long time or even raised teens you will see a difference. This age people stick with coaches too long what worked to motivated and correct a 10 year old doesn’t work with a 13 year old. And remember coaches are financially incented to keep a team together more than develop players. Clubs that switch coaches up every 2-3 years for a team are more ideal because players and coaches have to earn their new relationship and it holds everyone a bit more accountable to development. Any league can result in playing in college if the kid truly wants it.

Comment

Choose a college for academics and then see if they have club or campus Rec leagues. Based on your current description, college soccer is not in the cards. Just continue to find joy in the game wherever she finds it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          I know lots of talk about top players etc here. But I have a mid level player. Midlevel as in middle of DPL middle school team roster. I see DPL and impact as mid level. ECNL regional at this age group also mid level. None of our players will be D1 but many of these players want to play soccer past high school into college. My daughter works hard, lacks speed and confidence yet has a good first touch and makes good decisions. Definitely the late bloomer as the other middle school girls are taller and gone through puberty. What’s your advice to the parents of this type of player willing to work hard but might not ever be on the top team. Is one club, one league, pathway a better investment of time. Will some clubs focus in on these players helping them reach full potential? We know that they aren’t recruited being on NPL or ECNL R, or Impact teams. We know we will setup those ID camps and try to learn how to target wisely. Just wondering what advice is out there since I think there’s a lot of this type of player.
          I dont understand the question at all. What are you investing in? Why do you link reaching full potential to a League etc. Why are you talking about ID camps?

Comment

It wasnt worded great but I read it as given the significant time spent, regardless of whether its ECNLR, NPL, DPL, is there any one team/league from these that has proven it can get a mid level player some exposure?

IMO, good grades and attending ID camps should work well, but cast a wide net.

Comment

Choose a college for academics and then see if they have club or campus Rec leagues. Based on your current description, college soccer is not in the cards. Just continue to find joy in the game wherever she finds it.
              Agree with this post. Prioritize academics and enjoy soccer. It’s totally fine and in the long run, it’ll serve her better in the future.

Comment

It wasnt worded great but I read it as given the significant time spent, regardless of whether its ECNLR, NPL, DPL, is there any one team/league from these that has proven it can get a mid level player some exposure?

IMO, good grades and attending ID camps should work well, but cast a wide net.
                The problem begins with the term - mid level. it is really hard to give advice when the basis starts with a very subjective statement. The assumption made in player evaluation is that a league,club, team or badge defines the level of any player. Its the biggest fallacy, but the basis of the multi million dollar business that is Club soccer for Girls. My player definitions are as follows

Top player - Will receive multiple 80%> athletic offers from the top 20 soccer schools A tiny percentage
                Mid Level - The majority of players
                The rest - A tiny percentage.

if you make the assumption that CLub soccer spending reflects the ROI in access/money from College (bad assumption imo), then OP should figure out what the best version his daughter could realistically attain is "worth" is it 20%? A tip? If you figure out what than is worth, then OP should only spend a max of that amount. If you look at it like that, you quickly realize that the ROI is not what supports the cost. It like any Club, FOMO premium is huge.

Parents should start by deciding what their kids want from the sport and then chart course appropriately.

Comment

Top player - Will receive multiple 80%> athletic offers from the top 20 soccer schools A tiny percentage
                  So a typical college roster, of 30+ players and 14 scholarships available, how many "Top players" are on a roster? Two? Three? 10? 16?

Comment

So a typical college roster, of 30+ players and 14 scholarships available, how many "Top players" are on a roster? Two? Three? 10? 16?
                    Thats my point. You are looking at it differently. If there are 20 top programs, how many kids per year do you think are getting >80% offers from more than one? Hold that number and then accept that there are 300+ D1 schools and a good percentage are fully funded. There is significant money available for players who are not top players. There is more $$ out there than there are top players.

Comment

Thats my point. You are looking at it differently. If there are 20 top programs, how many kids per year do you think are getting >80% offers from more than one? Hold that number and then accept that there are 300+ D1 schools and a good percentage are fully funded. There is significant money available for players who are not top players. There is more $$ out there than there are top players.
                      I guess I understand it, but wouldn't have termed "top" so limiting.

But, thruthfully, I have no idea. My kid got substantial, not 80%, and not what I would call a top player so I guess your definition fits...

Comment

I guess I understand it, but wouldn't have termed "top" so limiting.

But, thruthfully, I have no idea. My kid got substantial, not 80%, and not what I would call a top player so I guess your definition fits...
                        I cant think of a better way to normalize it. If more than one of the people who value talent and consistently finish in the top 20 with it, offer you >80% , then logic suggests they know what they are talking about. Most other evaluations are highly subjective and tend to be based on pay to play results. For me, top is a very selective group. the leagues want you to beleive that several tops exist. Everyone can win. They can to a degree, but thats because there are so many levels available.

Comment

Thread op's player is not even a D1 level player so drop that part of the discussion

Comment

Thread op's player is not even a D1 level player so drop that part of the discussion
                            Are you saying there are no players like her in D1 soccer? What is a D1 level player when some are getting full rides to Duke and others are sitting on the bench at ABC State with no $$. Thats why defining level, by club, etc makes no sense. you have kids on the same team with a wide gaps in talent.

Comment

Are you saying there are no players like her in D1 soccer? What is a D1 level player when some are getting full rides to Duke and others are sitting on the bench at ABC State with no $$. Thats why defining level, by club, etc makes no sense. you have kids on the same team with a wide gaps in talent.
                              Maybe, at best, lowest D1 level program bench warmer. Dad admitted as much.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X