Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    The format this year is that the winners of each subbracket (usually 4 teams each) have a playoff. So the winner is the best of 8 teams. Not nothing.

Also, ALL tournaments have brackets so matches are competitive. Anything else would be pointless. Like your comment.
    Not pointless. May not apply here but many teams market themselves as ‘winning’ a showcase. One ECNL team recently played a showcase, no playoff, strictly a bracket. Low bracket at that. They played three games, one was against the statistically worst ECNL team in the country, another was against an ECRL regional team. This hasn’t stopped them from proclaiming themselves the ‘winner’ of the showcase. That is pointless.

Comment

Not pointless. May not apply here but many teams market themselves as ‘winning’ a showcase. One ECNL team recently played a showcase, no playoff, strictly a bracket. Low bracket at that. They played three games, one was against the statistically worst ECNL team in the country, another was against an ECRL regional team. This hasn’t stopped them from proclaiming themselves the ‘winner’ of the showcase. That is pointless.
      It is dumb but nothing to lose sleep over. All clubs look for ways to market themselves + give a few feel goods to the winning team. Not many pay attention to it

Comment

Maybe download the rankings app and see where your team is currently ranked nationally. IMO you'd want to be in the top 300 or so to make it worth the time and travel.
        https://usasportstatistics.net/
        Wherever the cutoff is, I agree with the general comment. If you're not a top team, it would be better playing in local tournaments like FC Stars, NEFC, Surf, etc. The trip won't be worth it for the lower brackets.

Comment

This is a joke, in case anyone doesn’t know that.
          I can speak for myself, thank you.

It was a joke.

Comment

Juve is dead broke, they werent accepted because they defaulted on loans to their investors and payments to TSC for practice fees. Juve will be long gone or acquired by a holding company like 3 step within 6 months

Comment

They won't be acquired by anyone, if the club is in as as much financial turmoil as believed there's no business. The books show nothing but bad debt, it's a franchise, the franchise fee skins is not worth it. Makes no sense, plenty of clubs out there that have better books.
              They didn't get into Jeff Cup because their teams are average.

Comment

The Jefferson Cup represents everything that is wrong with youth soccer in this country.
                Kids/Families traveling several hundred miles to go play a kid's soccer game... insane.

Comment

The Jefferson Cup represents everything that is wrong with youth soccer in this country.
                  Kids/Families traveling several hundred miles to go play a kid's soccer game... insane.
                  Go F yourself. You do you. If your team is going and you don’t want to go, then don’t. If someone else is going, no skin off your back so chill out.

Comment

It's the best non ECNL/GA event this side of the Mississippi and happens once a year. Most teams will do the rest of their tourneys closer to home - and in fact many of the teams there won't be that far from home. Yes some of it is nuts I agree, but soccer is far from alone in the insanity. ALmost every sport has splintered off and requiring more travel and higher costs. You either chose to go along with it or not.

Comment

Go F yourself. You do you. If your team is going and you don’t want to go, then don’t. If someone else is going, no skin off your back so chill out.
                      Triggered!

Comment

I do not love that our club does the Jeff Cup but I also don't think you get what the point is for the event. Jeff up is a regional showcase, where players can be seen by college coaches from the general east coast area schools. Our club never went for the middle school weekend, only once the kids reached U15.

Comment

I do not love that our club does the Jeff Cup but I also don't think you get what the point is for the event. Jeff up is a regional showcase, where players can be seen by college coaches from the general east coast area schools. Our club never went for the middle school weekend, only once the kids reached U15.
                          I certainly don't get the point of ANY event that requires families to travel hundreds of miles across multiple states to go play a youth sport.
                          Some families are mortgaging their finances in order to play along with this insanity.
                          Of course, to each their own. But the benefits of a kid playing a sport can be achieved without this sort of thing.
                          If it's for the sake of college recruiting, ok fine, but what percentage of kids who play the Jefferson Cup end up being recruited because of their participation in it?

Comment

I certainly don't get the point of ANY event that requires families to travel hundreds of miles across multiple states to go play a youth sport.
                            Some families are mortgaging their finances in order to play along with this insanity.
                            Of course, to each their own. But the benefits of a kid playing a sport can be achieved without this sort of thing.
                            If it's for the sake of college recruiting, ok fine, but what percentage of kids who play the Jefferson Cup end up being recruited because of their participation in it?
                            Yet here you are on a soccer chat board which means your kid plays soccer which means you also participate in the industry

Comment

We spend more to go skiing, which my wife hates, than we do playing soccer. If it were up to me, I'd just dig out the skins and my tele gear and go in the backcountry for free.

I do it, because it's fun to spend time with the kids and they enjoy it.

What's the difference?

Comment

People still telemark? Learn something new every day.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X