Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an athletic scholarship just financial aid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an athletic scholarship just financial aid?

Assuming you qualify on ability for an athletic scholarship, and assuming you qualify financially for financial aid>

So, for example, say you have a school's tuition of $50k per year. You are given a 50% athletic scholarship, meaning you would be responsible for $25k. Also say, for example, your expected family contribution is $20k. What would you pay? Does the expected family income come in place of the scholarship, or on top? Meaning, your athletic scholarship comes in place of the financial aid...or in addition to? In the above example, I could see you needing to pay as low as $5k, or as high as $25k?

If it's in place, then an athletic scholarship is just shuffling paper around and you pay the same, the school receives the same, some of the money is allocated from a different bucket.

Same would apply for academic merit, but this being a soccer board I used athletics for the example.

Someone set me straight.... I poked around and couldn't find a clear answer.

This says one doesn't affect the other.

https://collegerealitycheck.com/comb...financial-aid/

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      This says one doesn't affect the other.

https://collegerealitycheck.com/comb...financial-aid/
      Thank you! I think I did see this article at one time....

This comment, I guess, summarizes it clearly:

"Since college is such an expensive endeavor, most students use some form of financial aid. The good news is it has zero effect on your athletic scholarship."

I suppose the only way it would is if FA award was more than what was left to pay, that would be reduced to keep college costs not to drop below nothing, LOL

Comment

Assuming you qualify on ability for an athletic scholarship, and assuming you qualify financially for financial aid>

So, for example, say you have a school's tuition of $50k per year. You are given a 50% athletic scholarship, meaning you would be responsible for $25k. Also say, for example, your expected family contribution is $20k. What would you pay? Does the expected family income come in place of the scholarship, or on top? Meaning, your athletic scholarship comes in place of the financial aid...or in addition to? In the above example, I could see you needing to pay as low as $5k, or as high as $25k?

If it's in place, then an athletic scholarship is just shuffling paper around and you pay the same, the school receives the same, some of the money is allocated from a different bucket.

Same would apply for academic merit, but this being a soccer board I used athletics for the example.

Someone set me straight.... I poked around and couldn't find a clear answer.
        If you maintain your GPA merit $ can't be taken away. FA can if your family income changes and athletic can if you quit your team. The NCAA has rules on how all three forms of assistance can be stacked but dpending on what's coming from where it is possible to hit 100%. The rules for federal FA require a pretty low income level that most soccer families are well above (otherwise you couldn't afford club soccer), however, some schools have their own financial aid above that limit. Even if you're not sure you'd qualify, always apply.

When your child is going on tours at schools, ask to meet with a school's financial aid office and they can walk through all of it. They're very helpful

Comment

If you maintain your GPA merit $ can't be taken away. FA can if your family income changes and athletic can if you quit your team. The NCAA has rules on how all three forms of assistance can be stacked but dpending on what's coming from where it is possible to hit 100%. The rules for federal FA require a pretty low income level that most soccer families are well above (otherwise you couldn't afford club soccer), however, some schools have their own financial aid above that limit. Even if you're not sure you'd qualify, always apply.

When your child is going on tours at schools, ask to meet with a school's financial aid office and they can walk through all of it. They're very helpful
          They'll be happy to tell you to take another mortgage on your house to pay their exorbitant tuition.

Comment

They'll be happy to tell you to take another mortgage on your house to pay their exorbitant tuition.
            Then take your kids out of expensive sports and save for college.

Comment

Schools use merit to help provide a discount rate as they know the cost are too high. At top academic schools pretty much no merit. Northeastern you will pay full price unless the Fafsa says you need aid. So there athletic scholarships would be helpful. Outside of top schools you will get a mix of athletic but the majority will be merit. Blow out your knee merit will keep you in school if you need it. Athletic won’t. Another reason why the focus on grades is important. Look at the rosters of schools see how many kids list national honor society or academic honors in high school that will give you an idea of what the coach/school value. Again things are different for the top 1% of soccer players but the rest of us grades and the level of classes matter in recruiting process.

Comment

If keeping your athletic money is a huge concern (can't afford college without it) you better have a financial plan B if you quit or transfer. Many aren't on a roster by junior year so it is a real possibility

Another poster was correct that many soccer families won't qualify for much financial aid. The Ivies have higher income caps for their own financial assistance but at most other schools the income cap is very low for both federal aid and school based.

To get really good athletic or merit most times you need to step down a level or two so that a coach or school really,really wants you. Some families aren't willing to do that.

Comment

The point about stepping down is spot on, and often overlooked.
                  Just think it through. No school is going to pay a premium for a player who is AT the level academically or athletically. There is a long line of athlete/applicants AT the level.
                  The student-athlete has to be better than what the college typically attracts. So yes, there is a top tier of players that have top schools fighting over them, but to get substantive scholarship money (merit or athletic) the other 98% have to "step down".

New England families tend to love academic prestige, and many families use soccer to "step up" academically. That's great, but they aren't getting much money unless poor. Every family tends find the balance of Academic-Athletic-Finance that is best for them.

Comment

The point about stepping down is spot on, and often overlooked.
                    Just think it through. No school is going to pay a premium for a player who is AT the level academically or athletically. There is a long line of athlete/applicants AT the level.
                    The student-athlete has to be better than what the college typically attracts. So yes, there is a top tier of players that have top schools fighting over them, but to get substantive scholarship money (merit or athletic) the other 98% have to "step down".

New England families tend to love academic prestige, and many families use soccer to "step up" academically. That's great, but they aren't getting much money unless poor. Every family tends find the balance of Academic-Athletic-Finance that is best for them.
                    Op here and would like to add to my statement families and their student athlete need to seriously discuss if they want to take on debt, what that means post graduation and how much they're comfortable with. Ideally your kid gets enough from the aid combo that you can pay the difference, but they still may not, especially with pricey non athletic D3s. Taking on a little is fine and it's not bad for kids to own piece of their education. But don't let them graduate with a heavy debt burden. If grad school is in their plans then try to have zero debt, even if that means stepping down with soccer or academics to get there. The prize is their education and career. If they have to play at a weaker soccer program to get there who cares? They're not going pro.

We've got 4 kids close in age - we've been having "how to pay for school" discussions for quite some time lol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X