Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

Sure, there's something willing to take your money to do every single task you can think of.
    Bitter college recruiting consultant with empty spots in his calender in da house.

Comment

A consultant to do their recruiting. A consultant to "edit" their college essays. A consultant to prep them for SAT/ACT. A nanny to wipe their bums. That leaves dad plenty of time to ignore mom and the kids.

Comment

Re NCSA, we used them (had an opportunity to use them at a big discount...still expensive, but not completely unreasonable). Was actually pleasantly surprised with the service. For context, D was only interested in strong-academic D3 programs, played for an NPL team, with no illusions or interest in D1.

The positives:
        - The consultant assigned to D was a former college coach. Had good insight in the process to share with D.
        - We made our own highlight video, and the consultant's feedback on the video was very helpful. Included feedback about what clips to remove, how to order them to keep coaches interested in watching the whole thing, etc.
        - Actually reached out to target colleges and got feedback on the highlight videos from those coaches. Found out D was on the short list of 3 schools we didn't know interest was that high.

The negatives:
        - Got a ton of spam (generic clinic invites from schools, including from D1, D2 and D3 schools, may of which we had never heard of and had no interest in). Having said that, did receive generic invites from schools on D's target list too.

We did ask a couple of D3 coaches at their clinics if they used NCSA and both said no.

Overall, it was a positive experience, but I don't think it would have been worth their regular price. The best part of it was the meetings with the consultant. The rest of it was debatable whether it was actually helpful or not.

Comment

A consultant to do their recruiting. A consultant to "edit" their college essays. A consultant to prep them for SAT/ACT. A nanny to wipe their bums. That leaves dad plenty of time to ignore mom and the kids.
          I think we were just discussing a simple contact management system.

Comment

I think we were just discussing a simple contact management system.
            If your kid can't create a basic spreadsheet and keep it up they've got some serious organizational issues

Comment

If mom and dad didn't go to college, they probably don't have the insight to the application process to help out.

Comment

Re NCSA, we used them (had an opportunity to use them at a big discount...still expensive, but not completely unreasonable). Was actually pleasantly surprised with the service. For context, D was only interested in strong-academic D3 programs, played for an NPL team, with no illusions or interest in D1.

The positives:
                - The consultant assigned to D was a former college coach. Had good insight in the process to share with D.
                - We made our own highlight video, and the consultant's feedback on the video was very helpful. Included feedback about what clips to remove, how to order them to keep coaches interested in watching the whole thing, etc.
                - Actually reached out to target colleges and got feedback on the highlight videos from those coaches. Found out D was on the short list of 3 schools we didn't know interest was that high.

The negatives:
                - Got a ton of spam (generic clinic invites from schools, including from D1, D2 and D3 schools, may of which we had never heard of and had no interest in). Having said that, did receive generic invites from schools on D's target list too.

We did ask a couple of D3 coaches at their clinics if they used NCSA and both said no.

Overall, it was a positive experience, but I don't think it would have been worth their regular price. The best part of it was the meetings with the consultant. The rest of it was debatable whether it was actually helpful or not.
                I mean this with absolutely zero disrespect, but this is where I have seen this program fit. The players I see from my area aren't the top players. NCSA seems to have a niche in the D3 market. Again, no disrespect...I was a D3 player.

What grinds me about NCSA is I have seem some local players' videos, and frankly the kids are flat out not very good. I'll go as far as to say awful. They are poor public HS players, and I can't imagine they have any spot on any college roster in their future. I feel for those kids who have paid 4-figures for something that I just can't see happening. They've been sold and bought it. Knowing how the sales guy pitched to my kid, I can only imagine what they said to some of them that got them to bite.

Comment

I mean this with absolutely zero disrespect, but this is where I have seen this program fit. The players I see from my area aren't the top players. NCSA seems to have a niche in the D3 market. Again, no disrespect...I was a D3 player.

What grinds me about NCSA is I have seem some local players' videos, and frankly the kids are flat out not very good. I'll go as far as to say awful. They are poor public HS players, and I can't imagine they have any spot on any college roster in their future. I feel for those kids who have paid 4-figures for something that I just can't see happening. They've been sold and bought it. Knowing how the sales guy pitched to my kid, I can only imagine what they said to some of them that got them to bite.

No disrespect taken. Top players who get a lot of interest from D1 programs probably don't need NCSA as they will be getting good support from their club. Having said that, I think players interested in D2 would likely get benefit from it (tons of the clinic invites D received were D2, and in fact she got a scholarship offer from a small D2 in Iowa purely thru NCSA). And yes, totally agree that paying 4-figures (or even high-3-figures) for NCSA is not worth it.

To give you a sense of D's ability level, she is now on the roster at a NESCAC school. NCSA played no role in getting her recruited there.

Comment

Any consultants out there for kids who just want to play the sport for fun and don’t really think about playing in college?

Comment

Any consultants out there for kids who just want to play the sport for fun and don’t really think about playing in college?
                      Club sports. They play other schools, some leagues have playoffs. Lots of solid players that maybe weren't quite good enough or didn't want to play in college

Comment

What would they consult about?

Comment

My child had a free profile on NCSA. Once committed my child updated the NCSA profile to reflect it. TWICE an NCSA employee reached out to talk about how impressive their page was, and what additional services they could offer to help secure a commitment AFTER the commitment had already been posted for months. They had zero awareness. They were used car salespeople. All they had to do was look at the profile for 5 seconds to know the process was over already. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X