Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston is 1 of 3 finalists for NWSL expansion franchise for 2024 season?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston is 1 of 3 finalists for NWSL expansion franchise for 2024 season?

I was surprised by this. It had been reported that Salt Lake had first right of refusal for the next NWSL expansion because of what happened with their last owner. A few other ownership groups / cities had been rumored, but this is the first I'm hearing about Boston.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/12/...sion-finalist/

Thoughts? Could NWSL be successful in Boston?

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I was surprised by this. It had been reported that Salt Lake had first right of refusal for the next NWSL expansion because of what happened with their last owner. A few other ownership groups / cities had been rumored, but this is the first I'm hearing about Boston.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/12/...sion-finalist/

Thoughts? Could NWSL be successful in Boston?
    In a city with as many successful franchises as it has, it's going to be tough to generate much interest in women's soccer.

Comment

In a city with as many successful franchises as it has, it's going to be tough to generate much interest in women's soccer.
      So in addition to having a reputation as a racist city, we should add sexist too?

Comment

How is the attendance for our WNBA team?

Comment

I agree. However, Angel FC certainly has no lack of interest. They are killing it (relatively) in attendance. No shortage of pro sports in LA….2 NFL teams, 2 MLB teams, 2 MLS teams, 2 NBA teams.

I think there is a big difference in the appetite for soccer between SoCal and New England, though. Boston Breakers have already folded…recently none the less.

How does The Revolution draw?

Comment

I agree. However, Angel FC certainly has no lack of interest. They are killing it (relatively) in attendance. No shortage of pro sports in LA….2 NFL teams, 2 MLB teams, 2 MLS teams, 2 NBA teams.

I think there is a big difference in the appetite for soccer between SoCal and New England, though. Boston Breakers have already folded…recently none the less.

Revs draw pretty good for a non-soccer stadium. Maybe a NWSL team would have a better shot at a soccer only stadium but i doubt it. If the Krafts don’t build one then a women’s team won’t move the needle. Without a stadium the proposal is done before it begins, nobody wants to go to Nickerson field, NWSL doesn’t want an amateur look with the little momentum they currently have.

Comment

Revs draw pretty good for a non-soccer stadium. Maybe a NWSL team would have a better shot at a soccer only stadium but i doubt it. If the Krafts don’t build one then a women’s team won’t move the needle. Without a stadium the proposal is done before it begins, nobody wants to go to Nickerson field, NWSL doesn’t want an amateur look with the little momentum they currently have.
              Agree that field is a deal breaker.

Comment

Sad thing is that Nickerson is the perfect size for the NWSL. 7,500 fans would fill it up nicely.

Comment

What is NWSL?

Comment

It didn't work before when the WNT was at it's height of domination so I struggle to see how it does work. Maybe if the Kraft's bought in and there were a new soccer stadium that the revs and a womens franchise used it would be more viable.

Comment

How is the attendance for our WNBA team?
                      We have a WNBA team?

Comment

We have a WNBA team?
                        Thank you for making my point.

Comment

Thank you for making my point.
                          It’s in CT. They rank 5th in the league for attendance.
                          what was your point?

Comment

It’s in CT. They rank 5th in the league for attendance.
                            what was your point?
                            Because there's absolutely nothing to do in Hartford - and even then the average attendance is 5,500. Now do the math on an even less popular sport

Comment

Greater Los Angeles area is more than 3 times the size of Boston and yes the soccer market is very different. Angel FC is also new so there's the novelty factor. Outside of them and Portland the average attendance at other teams is well below 10K a game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X