Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on SURF

Is Surf Rhode Island tied with New England Surf, or are they independent clubs each individually tied to the Surf group of clubs?

They're independent franchises of the home club in San Diego.

Comment

RI Surf started out by stealing the NEFC SouthEast region. New England Surf started with theft from GPS.
      Surf San Diego simply financed the coach bribery.

They're both decent tier 2 options. But definitely kickball clubs. No development except for forwards and keepers. Everyone else just plays defense and boots it.

Surf RI has a strong "win now" mentality while Surf New England is a laid back "fun" club. They don't get along at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        RI Surf started out by stealing the NEFC SouthEast region. New England Surf started with theft from GPS.

They're both decent tier 2 options. But definitely kickball clubs. No development except for forwards and keepers. Everyone else just plays defense and boots it.

Surf RI has a strong "win now" mentality while Surf New England is a laid back "fun" club. They don't get along at all.
        RI surf wants in the ECNL. Scorpions and stars are blocking it.

Comment

RI surf wants in the ECNL. Scorpions and stars are blocking it.
          Never happen

Comment

Ummm... I wouldn't agree with kickball assessment. My son's team played against one of their teams this Spring and it was one of the best youth games I've ever seen. The Surf team was fantastic, playing the ball from the back with lots of composure... their GK didn't punt the ball a single time even when our team applied high pressure. They moved the ball super quick all with purpose, not just kicking it forward randomly.

So, not sure about the win now mentality, but in terms of quality, at least this one team was phenomenal.

Comment

Ummm... I wouldn't agree with kickball assessment. My son's team played against one of their teams this Spring and it was one of the best youth games I've ever seen. The Surf team was fantastic, playing the ball from the back with lots of composure... their GK didn't punt the ball a single time even when our team applied high pressure. They moved the ball super quick all with purpose, not just kicking it forward randomly.

So, not sure about the win now mentality, but in terms of quality, at least this one team was phenomenal.
              Fair enough. I can only speak about the girls side.

Comment

Surf RI stole a bunch of bayside players and liverpool players too. Promised th ‘‘em the world and to en were disappointed. Best players are gone now back to a different NEFC region or Scorpions.

Comment

Surf RI stole a bunch of bayside players and liverpool players too. Promised th ‘‘em the world and to en were disappointed. Best players are gone now back to a different NEFC region or Scorpions.
                  How does a club exactly steal players? Aren't players and families free to choose where they go?

Comment

Fair enough. I can only speak about the girls side.
                    this is utter nonsense. the 08 navy team is as good as any team in MA. the 08 sky team is also outstanding as good as many ecnl clubs 2nd teams. the state navy teams are outstanding across the board, 06-10. the league they play in is terrible but i for one am super impressed by the quality of player surf NE is developing on the girls side and they are increasingly taking the best metrowest girls and keeping more of them than GPS used to

and unlike the ecnl where there is no loyalty to any girl and they will cut anyone for the bright shiny object from other clubs. . surf actually seems to develop players themselves and move them up organically and there is decent amount of movement from royal to sky to navy etc (3-2-1)

Comment

this is utter nonsense. the 08 navy team is as good as any team in MA. the 08 sky team is also outstanding as good as many ecnl clubs 2nd teams. the state navy teams are outstanding across the board, 06-10. the league they play in is terrible but i for one am super impressed by the quality of player surf NE is developing on the girls side and they are increasingly taking the best metrowest girls and keeping more of them than GPS used to

and unlike the ecnl where there is no loyalty to any girl and they will cut anyone for the bright shiny object from other clubs. . surf actually seems to develop players themselves and move them up organically and there is decent amount of movement from royal to sky to navy etc (3-2-1)
                      Ahhh... the OP is about Rhode Island Surf not Surf NE.

Comment

lol. You know zero, obviously.

We knew a lot of girls on GPS teams that ended up on Surf in MA. I don't have any inside info on how the transition happened from GPS to Surf, but it was a very good thing for the parents and players. Fairly seamless, it would have been a disaster otherwise as GPS was collapsing after the federal criminal charges. Moving to Surf worked out well for the people that matter, the players.

Other girls we know that have joined the club since then are definitely not playing kickball. Maybe your real fear is your tiny balls being kicked?

Comment

How does a club exactly steal players? Aren't players and families free to choose where they go?
                          Always makes me laugh when someone posts that a club "stole players". They obviously were not happy at Bayside, rightfully so, on the girls side at least. However, the obvious Bayside parent that you replied to is still feeling the loss of those players as his d's team can't get out of their own way (10). Daddy is upset his princess was not invited to Surf.

Comment

lol. You know zero, obviously.

We knew a lot of girls on GPS teams that ended up on Surf in MA. I don't have any inside info on how the transition happened from GPS to Surf, but it was a very good thing for the parents and players. Fairly seamless, it would have been a disaster otherwise as GPS was collapsing after the federal criminal charges. Moving to Surf worked out well for the people that matter, the players.

Other girls we know that have joined the club since then are definitely not playing kickball. Maybe your real fear is your tiny balls being kicked?

You state poster knows zero.
                            Then you immediately confirm they are correct.

Hilariously idiotic.

Comment

90% of surf RI girls was nefc southeast, with a few players from other clubs sprinkled in.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X