Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed with FC Star. Any suggestions

We are new to the club soccer scene. My son is U10 and plays in the town travel and FC Star team. As a volunteer coach with the town team (no professional experience though) I feel like the communication, involvement and coaching for the boys team at FC Star is pretty pathetic. The coach showed up late for practice through Fall, was constantly zoned out doing something on his phone, and never actively involved himself during games in Lancaster. 2 practice rounds through winter and the behavior continues. I have observed coaches from other teams (including JUVE) who are more engaged and coach their players to perform to their best and play as a team.

That said, I have seen a lot of negative feedback on JUVE on other threads. Any ideas/ suggestions for club teams for 2012 Boys? My son really enjoys soccer and I would rate my kid as middle/bottom 3rd of the pack on an elite team. Would like for him to experience a challenging and development focused club potentially even in winter/spring.

Why do you type like a waiter at China Moon speaks?

2 order FC Star

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      We are new to the club soccer scene. My son is U10 and plays in the town travel and FC Star team. As a volunteer coach with the town team (no professional experience though) I feel like the communication, involvement and coaching for the boys team at FC Star is pretty pathetic. The coach showed up late for practice through Fall, was constantly zoned out doing something on his phone, and never actively involved himself during games in Lancaster. 2 practice rounds through winter and the behavior continues. I have observed coaches from other teams (including JUVE) who are more engaged and coach their players to perform to their best and play as a team.

That said, I have seen a lot of negative feedback on JUVE on other threads. Any ideas/ suggestions for club teams for 2012 Boys? My son really enjoys soccer and I would rate my kid as middle/bottom 3rd of the pack on an elite team. Would like for him to experience a challenging and development focused club potentially even in winter/spring.
      Stars is really a girls club. The boys side is definitely not the focus. It also depends on the region with big clubs like Stars or NEFC—often, the better coaches are based at the main location (for Stars, that is Lancaster).

Your kid is very young—no matter what club you go with, the key will be how good his coach is, and there are good and bad coaches at every club. Many clubs offer winter clinics, so you could probably have your son try a session (or even a team practice) at another club during the winter. At your son’s age, the most important thing is that he is having fun and has a coach that focuses on technical skills. Games should be fun and wins and losses shouldn’t matter at all. Coaches that yell instructions constantly during games may seem engaged, but they are not allowing kids to make decisions on their own on the field.

Comment

Stars is really a girls club. The boys side is definitely not the focus. It also depends on the region with big clubs like Stars or NEFC—often, the better coaches are based at the main location (for Stars, that is Lancaster).

Your kid is very young—no matter what club you go with, the key will be how good his coach is, and there are good and bad coaches at every club. Many clubs offer winter clinics, so you could probably have your son try a session (or even a team practice) at another club during the winter. At your son’s age, the most important thing is that he is having fun and has a coach that focuses on technical skills. Games should be fun and wins and losses shouldn’t matter at all. Coaches that yell instructions constantly during games may seem engaged, but they are not allowing kids to make decisions on their own on the field.
        Thanks. That helps and totally agree on the fun/ tech skills part , both missing because of coach's being checked out. Am considering winter clinics at juve/nefc. Live in the metro north area(Burlington, concord, Lexington area.

Comment

Thanks. That helps and totally agree on the fun/ tech skills part , both missing because of coach's being checked out. Am considering winter clinics at juve/nefc. Live in the metro north area(Burlington, concord, Lexington area.
          You could also look at some of the futsal clubs for winter (might be too late for this year). Futsal is great for developing foot skills and there are a few really good futsal only clubs in MA.

Again—coaching will vary greatly within all clubs—especially at the younger ages.

Comment

The key is the coach, not the club. Not easy and requires some considerable time investment, but focus on finding a good coach. You might even find one at a small local club, you don't need to go to a big "professional" club.

Comment

You aren't the first to be disappointed with FC Stars. I have a friend who's son was injured at practice and had to sit out a few weeks. The coach never checked in on him! When the kid went back, again the coach treated him like crap... as if the injury was the kid's fault. Kid lost all confidence and they ended up leaving the club.

Comment

The key is the coach, not the club. Not easy and requires some considerable time investment, but focus on finding a good coach. You might even find one at a small local club, you don't need to go to a big "professional" club.
                and at some clubs bad coaching is the norm, at others the exception.

Comment

Everything written above is really spot on.

Except the part about coaches being quiet during games to allow players to make decisions. This is appropriate at older ages when kids have what they need to actually make those choices. At the younger ages, they need the instruction at that moment in time for it to make sense. What makes a coach great at uLittle is not what makes a coach great at U15+

Comment

Everything written above is really spot on.

Except the part about coaches being quiet during games to allow players to make decisions. This is appropriate at older ages when kids have what they need to actually make those choices. At the younger ages, they need the instruction at that moment in time for it to make sense. What makes a coach great at uLittle is not what makes a coach great at U15+
                    Your last sentence is accurate, but I disagree the idea that coaches need to be vocal at younger ages. Coaches coach at practice. The games belong to the player not the coach, regardless of player's age. At best, you can say that at younger ages coaches may GUIDE the players and be a bit more vocal primarily offering support and re-enforcing ideas, but not taking decisions away from them. Nothing worse than a U-little coach joy sticking players throughout the game.

Comment

I suggest you give up soccer after u12.Fc stars are the tops in MA

Comment

Granted he's still quite young and it sounds like there's a coaching issue. That said, if he's mid to bottom of a roster he may not be on the best fit team for him. Something to consider. At this age hopefully the coach is giving all players meaningful playing time. If they aren't then they really are terrible. But as they get into middle and certainly high school PT becomes more of an earned proposition. Nothing can suck the love of the game out of a player than not playing very much.

You don't need a big name club to provide him with good coaching at that age. In fact lots of smaller clubs do that. Asking around with people in real life is probably a better bet than his agenda filled anonymous board. If he builds his skill set and wants to move into something bigger/more challenging later on there's plenty of time to do that. Ask around, call around. Try to go to any camps or extra training events many clubs hold this time of year, or ask to attend a practice at clubs you think might work.

Comment

Your last sentence is accurate, but I disagree the idea that coaches need to be vocal at younger ages. Coaches coach at practice. The games belong to the player not the coach, regardless of player's age. At best, you can say that at younger ages coaches may GUIDE the players and be a bit more vocal primarily offering support and re-enforcing ideas, but not taking decisions away from them. Nothing worse than a U-little coach joy sticking players throughout the game.
                          So, if a kid is standing offside, you just let him learn by letting him think about it after he’s called offside. What a bunch of snowflakes. Ulittles need to be constantly told where to stand and how to play. If you wait until practice to do that it’ll take you twice as long.

Comment

So, if a kid is standing offside, you just let him learn by letting him think about it after he’s called offside. What a bunch of snowflakes. Ulittles need to be constantly told where to stand and how to play. If you wait until practice to do that it’ll take you twice as long.
                            The offside example is an extreme one so obviously the coach should point that out as well as other basic rules such as where to place the ball on a GK, etc. etc.
                            I'm hopeful you understand what I meant when I stated that coaches should not joystick players regardless of their age. If you don't understand, too bad... you sound like a moron anyways, not going to waste my time.
                            P.S. God I hope you're a parent not a coach!

Comment

The parents that prefer this type of coaching at ulittle are the same ones that wonder why their kid isn’t able to make a high level team once they get to the HS ages….

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X