Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colleg Coach Communications

My kid is a 2022 HS grad. In July and August he had chatted with various coaches via email, text and phone calls. Some he reached out to while others reached out to him. He even visited several campuses and met with the coaches personally.

At the time he was told to "stay in touch" and "keep sending updates".

He sent along his updates including his pre-season highlights and his game schedules. However, the majority of coaches have ghosted him.

I would like to hear others experiences with coach interactions. Is this common since its the beginning of the season and they are busy?

Is not responding its own message?

If a coach isn't interested do they typically have the courtesy to respond and say that?

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    My kid is a 2022 HS grad. In July and August he had chatted with various coaches via email, text and phone calls. Some he reached out to while others reached out to him. He even visited several campuses and met with the coaches personally.

At the time he was told to "stay in touch" and "keep sending updates".

He sent along his updates including his pre-season highlights and his game schedules. However, the majority of coaches have ghosted him.

I would like to hear others experiences with coach interactions. Is this common since its the beginning of the season and they are busy?

Is not responding its own message?

If a coach isn't interested do they typically have the courtesy to respond and say that?
    I think depending on the program it is common. They are a little busy right now since this is their season and what makes or breaks them as far as a job/ their continued employment. Good luck. Keep plugging away.

Comment

Some coaches have the courtesy to tell kids their spots are filled, but many don't. And sometimes a coach who's fallen off the radar will reappear. Does your son have some soccer "safety" schools in the mix? By now many offers have already gone out, so if he doesn't have any that's feedback that he's not at the top of the coachs' lists. That said, recruiting is far from done, and at some schools can go through January of Senior year (Skidmore, I'm looking at you -- but they certainly aren't the only school).

Comment

I think depending on the program it is common. They are a little busy right now since this is their season and what makes or breaks them as far as a job/ their continued employment. Good luck. Keep plugging away.
        It is getting a bit late even for boys. Coaches want you to apply ED or EA and those applications are usually due November. Certainly the bigger programs, top spots are mostly gone but all is not lost. The player should keep contacting coaches but not in stalker-ish way. Do an immediate reassesment of his targets to see if there's some safeties. in there.

And yes, coaches ghost people all the time too

Comment

D1 or D3? if D1, and still no offers, that's a message. The D3 window for supported applications opened in July. For either division, It is not over. Recruits fall through, and/or coaches might need an AI-booster for their portfolio. Keep his grades up and stay in touch.
          What I have seen happen is for one offer to trigger many. It's kind of a weird process, but after the blue chips coaches look for another school to set the market. Once they know a player is "on the clock" with an offer from another team, it forces their hand.
          Note: Do not bluff that you have an offer. They talk to each other. What you can do is try to be polite yet forceful with a bubble school to extract an offer, then you can send a courtesy call/email over to his more desirable school to let them know you would rather play there, but you have an offer from X.

Comment

Coaches can afford to wait to make offers too until after their season. They have very little incentive to make recruiting a priority as most schools are about to start their conference schedule. You can assume they have already made offers to their top recruits and are likely waiting to know which players will be returning for their 5th Covid season, who's going to be cut, and who's going into the transfer portal. Filling out their walk-on rosters is probably a low priority.... unless you are a unicorn.

Comment

Coaches can afford to wait to make offers too until after their season. They have very little incentive to make recruiting a priority as most schools are about to start their conference schedule. You can assume they have already made offers to their top recruits and are likely waiting to know which players will be returning for their 5th Covid season, who's going to be cut, and who's going into the transfer portal. Filling out their walk-on rosters is probably a low priority.... unless you are a unicorn.
              and that is exactly what this player is, unfortunately. A '22 chatting with coaches in July and August is a year too late. I know, I know #Covid, but as above poster states, 5rh years staying with team and/or transfers are likely better source than someone that hasn't impressed them yet

Comment

and that is exactly what this player is, unfortunately. A '22 chatting with coaches in July and August is a year too late. I know, I know #Covid, but as above poster states, 5rh years staying with team and/or transfers are likely better source than someone that hasn't impressed them yet
                Depending on the level - lower D1 and D3 - it isn't necessarily too late but the window is closing quickly. Offers have gone to the top picks from most programs but not all offers will be accepted and teams will still need players depending on how things fall out. OP should have his son keep plugging away. If need be just flat out ask a coach "Have you filled your roster for the next year?. At least then you'll know to move in

Comment

Depending on the level - lower D1 and D3 - it isn't necessarily too late but the window is closing quickly. Offers have gone to the top picks from most programs but not all offers will be accepted and teams will still need players depending on how things fall out. OP should have his son keep plugging away. If need be just flat out ask a coach "Have you filled your roster for the next year?. At least then you'll know to move in
                  I have also heard lots of schools are having budget cuts (Covid and NCAA rule changes for paying top athletes) and there just isn’t much for the ‘22, ‘23s. So limited spaces due to extra year of eligibility combined with limited funds means scholarship sports are getting phased out faster than expected.

Comment

I have also heard lots of schools are having budget cuts (Covid and NCAA rule changes for paying top athletes) and there just isn’t much for the ‘22, ‘23s. So limited spaces due to extra year of eligibility combined with limited funds means scholarship sports are getting phased out faster than expected.
                    The 21s got really screwed, it's a little better for 22s and a little better for the 23s. Female players have have the benefit of Title 9 so unless the number of football scholarships are cut or other men's teams lose scholarships (or even teams are cut) the women's scholarships will be fine. Even more so for soccer because it's one of the top 2 female sports. Some schools have cut a few teams but it's mostly less popular teams like swimming or gymnastics. The issue is the deferrals and 5th years getting the money they were promised, leaving less for the rest but it will work its way through the system

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X