Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

It never fails. There is always a parent who has to make the 'HS soccer sucks' comment perhaps to follow it up by 'Club soccer rules'. I always wonder if it is the same parent for the boys and girls threads. Either way, consider how pathetic he or she (they them those or however, it identifies) is. 1) there is nothing at all constructive about their opinion. Nothing contributory. 2) a few high schoolers will get financial help for college and a few will get administrative help. YOUR CHILD IS MORE LIKELY TO GET FINANCIAL HELP FROM OTHER AVENUES THAN SPORTS. The rare player will ultimately go pro 3) fewer club players will have made long lasting friends with their teammates than the high school players with theirs. The high school players are schoolmates and tend to play for the team, the school, and the town. The club players tend to play for themselves hoping that some higher level coach is watching. 4) Sports are great for staying in shape physically and mentally. 5) Sports are great for social connections/grooming/development. 6) While the top tier of club teams are better than 90% of the best high school teams, the club quality falls off quickly and one can argue whether or not it is worth the 3-5K per year with travel..but this is an individual family/child decision. 7) For the child it is about participation. I would rather my child play on the high school team than waste time on the bench of a club team. Again, an individual decision. 8) four years after graduating college 99.9% of these kids will be in the same 'boat' and looking for either a job or grad school. My kids played club and HS sports. They have nearly zero connection with their club teammates and strong connections with their HS ones. Both are playing college sports. One did get administrative help to get into school and the other didn't. The second did get a large scholarship......and it had nothing to do with playing sports in college. TO THE PARENT WHO INSISTS THAT HS SOCCER is crap...PERHAPS ALL SPORTS ARE BOGUS....I feel sorry for your child. When he/she doesn't meet your expectation what will you say then? When he/she looks back and wishes they played more HS sports will they and you have regret? Perhaps when the end result isn't what you thought it would be you will come back to TS and describe how wrong you were???
    1) Your writing style makes for a horrible read and gives the viewer a massive headache. Perhaps you should have spend more time in the classroom and less time on high school sports. 2) Imagine being this triggered because someone doesn’t like high school sports? WGAF. In all honesty high school sports are trash, but like anything in life, it is what you make of it. Take it or leave it.

Comment

It never fails. There is always a parent who has to make the 'HS soccer sucks' comment perhaps to follow it up by 'Club soccer rules'. I always wonder if it is the same parent for the boys and girls threads. Either way, consider how pathetic he or she (they them those or however, it identifies) is. 1) there is nothing at all constructive about their opinion. Nothing contributory. 2) a few high schoolers will get financial help for college and a few will get administrative help. YOUR CHILD IS MORE LIKELY TO GET FINANCIAL HELP FROM OTHER AVENUES THAN SPORTS. The rare player will ultimately go pro 3) fewer club players will have made long lasting friends with their teammates than the high school players with theirs. The high school players are schoolmates and tend to play for the team, the school, and the town. The club players tend to play for themselves hoping that some higher level coach is watching. 4) Sports are great for staying in shape physically and mentally. 5) Sports are great for social connections/grooming/development. 6) While the top tier of club teams are better than 90% of the best high school teams, the club quality falls off quickly and one can argue whether or not it is worth the 3-5K per year with travel..but this is an individual family/child decision. 7) For the child it is about participation. I would rather my child play on the high school team than waste time on the bench of a club team. Again, an individual decision. 8) four years after graduating college 99.9% of these kids will be in the same 'boat' and looking for either a job or grad school. My kids played club and HS sports. They have nearly zero connection with their club teammates and strong connections with their HS ones. Both are playing college sports. One did get administrative help to get into school and the other didn't. The second did get a large scholarship......and it had nothing to do with playing sports in college. TO THE PARENT WHO INSISTS THAT HS SOCCER is crap...PERHAPS ALL SPORTS ARE BOGUS....I feel sorry for your child. When he/she doesn't meet your expectation what will you say then? When he/she looks back and wishes they played more HS sports will they and you have regret? Perhaps when the end result isn't what you thought it would be you will come back to TS and describe how wrong you were???
      Let's see if I can follow this rambling.
      1) Most of TS has no "constructive" content.
      2) If HS player is getting scholarship for soccer and only plays HS, he's a stud at a prep school.
      3) I can only speak for my son, who's 2 best friends are club friends, not HS as they've been together for 6 years.
      4) Can't argue with that, but it has nothing to do with the quality of HS soccer
      5) No argument here, but again, has nothing to do with quality of HS soccer
      6) What does the value of club have to do with quality of HS?
      7) Sorry that your kid sits on the bench at club
      8) Again, what does that have to do with quality of HS?
      I'm happy for your kids playing college sports and I'm happy one got an academic scholarship, but neither of those comments have anything to do with the quality of HS soccer. My kid has stated that HS Soccer sucks but he plays for the comradery and touches on the ball. He would rather attend a club practice over a HS game if the option was available. As far as when my kid doesn't meet my expectations? I don't expect my kid to play DI. I hope he wants to play college soccer whether it be D1 or D3, but if he chooses not to play, that is his choice. I will only have disappointment that I won't be able to watch him any longer. I don't have expectations for any of my kids. I have hopes. I hope they do what they want in life. I hope they learn form their past and grow from it. I hope they are happy. When he looks back will he have regret? Only he can answer that down the road, but doesn't everyone have some regrets about their past, whether big or small? I regret not buying Amazon stock 25 years ago but such is life. My kid has already, as a sophmore, said he's joining the service. It's his life, he can live it as he chooses. I don't expect him to go to college on a D1 scholarship so I will have no disappointment with his chosen path. I'll be happy for him and proud regardless of the path he chooses. So will I come back to TS and describe how I was wrong? Nope. Because I'm not right or wrong..... I voiced an opinion of the quality of HS soccer as I see it.

Comment

Some info on power rankings can be found here. MIAA not great about keeping people informed on this change.

http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa/Power_R...tion_p174.html
        Anyone know if the power rankings are publicly available and when they are updated? I don't see anything on the MIAA website.

Comment

Anyone know if the power rankings are publicly available and when they are updated? I don't see anything on the MIAA website.
          They will be a moving target as opponents scores will factor in.. You can see how they will determine them here.. Understanding the MIAA power ratings (google.com)

Comment

Let's see if I can follow this rambling.
            1) Most of TS has no "constructive" content.
            2) If HS player is getting scholarship for soccer and only plays HS, he's a stud at a prep school.
            3) I can only speak for my son, who's 2 best friends are club friends, not HS as they've been together for 6 years.
            4) Can't argue with that, but it has nothing to do with the quality of HS soccer
            5) No argument here, but again, has nothing to do with quality of HS soccer
            6) What does the value of club have to do with quality of HS?
            7) Sorry that your kid sits on the bench at club
            8) Again, what does that have to do with quality of HS?
            I'm happy for your kids playing college sports and I'm happy one got an academic scholarship, but neither of those comments have anything to do with the quality of HS soccer. My kid has stated that HS Soccer sucks but he plays for the comradery and touches on the ball. He would rather attend a club practice over a HS game if the option was available. As far as when my kid doesn't meet my expectations? I don't expect my kid to play DI. I hope he wants to play college soccer whether it be D1 or D3, but if he chooses not to play, that is his choice. I will only have disappointment that I won't be able to watch him any longer. I don't have expectations for any of my kids. I have hopes. I hope they do what they want in life. I hope they learn form their past and grow from it. I hope they are happy. When he looks back will he have regret? Only he can answer that down the road, but doesn't everyone have some regrets about their past, whether big or small? I regret not buying Amazon stock 25 years ago but such is life. My kid has already, as a sophmore, said he's joining the service. It's his life, he can live it as he chooses. I don't expect him to go to college on a D1 scholarship so I will have no disappointment with his chosen path. I'll be happy for him and proud regardless of the path he chooses. So will I come back to TS and describe how I was wrong? Nope. Because I'm not right or wrong..... I voiced an opinion of the quality of HS soccer as I see it.
            Funny. My kids started for top clubs, one academy, and played high school. 8 state finals between high school and club and two national semifinal showings for their club teams. They enjoyed all of it……even the ridiculous travel with the club teams. My sentiment isn’t anti-club. It is pro high school for the competition, town spirit, and being with high school friends/teammates. Simplify iMessage, you are blind and arrogant if you can’t understand why high school sports are great and provide as much physical growth and more personal growth than club. However all are entitled to their opinion. It just seems that your negative opinion is so deconstructive.

Comment

Some score lines from the past few days

needham 1-0 Newton South
              Framingham 3-0 Boston Latin
              Brookline 4-1 Cambridge Ridge Latin
              Braintree 6-0 Bridgewater Raynham
              Milton 2-0 Foxborough
              Weymouth 2-0 Sandwich
              nauset 6-1 Barnstable
              Bedford 3-0 Austin Prep
              Brockton 2-1 Xaverian
              BC High 3-1 Central Catholic
              St John’s S 1-0 Algonquin
              Beverly 4-2 Concord Carlisle
              New Bedford 3-2 Attleboro
              Watertown 1-0 Winchester
              Chelmsford 2-1 Westford

Comment

Funny. My kids started for top clubs, one academy, and played high school. 8 state finals between high school and club and two national semifinal showings for their club teams. They enjoyed all of it……even the ridiculous travel with the club teams. My sentiment isn’t anti-club. It is pro high school for the competition, town spirit, and being with high school friends/teammates. Simplify iMessage, you are blind and arrogant if you can’t understand why high school sports are great and provide as much physical growth and more personal growth than club. However all are entitled to their opinion. It just seems that your negative opinion is so deconstructive.
                I'm in full agreement that HS is great for the competition, friendship and personal growth. I never stated otherwise. My statement was on the quality of play. My sons club team has boys that play the full range of HS from D1 down to D5 and all parents agree that the quality of play sucks by comparison.
                Whether my opinion is constructive or deconstructive, it is just that. An Opinion. I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree. I'm not arguing with those that think HS is the cats a$%, because that is their opinion. Herein lies one of the problems with this country lately in that "if you don't agree with my opinion you must be wrong".

Comment

You could respond to every single Massachusetts soccer post with “California has better soccer this is crap” but unless you’re psychotic you probably wouldn’t.

Comment

I'm in full agreement that HS is great for the competition, friendship and personal growth. I never stated otherwise. My statement was on the quality of play. My sons club team has boys that play the full range of HS from D1 down to D5 and all parents agree that the quality of play sucks by comparison.
                    Whether my opinion is constructive or deconstructive, it is just that. An Opinion. I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree. I'm not arguing with those that think HS is the cats a$%, because that is their opinion. Herein lies one of the problems with this country lately in that "if you don't agree with my opinion you must be wrong".
                    Club soccer is literally a trash heap of broken individuals, including coaches who are incapable of gainful employment, delusional parents, and spoiled children. US soccer sucks. Club soccer is THE reason. There is no other entity left to blame. Full stop

Comment

Club soccer is literally a trash heap of broken individuals, including coaches who are incapable of gainful employment, delusional parents, and spoiled children. US soccer sucks. Club soccer is THE reason. There is no other entity left to blame. Full stop
                      You are partially right. Pay-to-Play club soccer is the reason US Soccer sucks. Talent pool diluted by for-profit clubs and leagues run by the same. There is no clear pyramid for talent to progress. When the big boy clubs can have 2 teams in the same ECNL or NPL age group/division for example, where is the pathway in that? Where is the pathway when there are 2 governing bodies? USYS at least has 1 league within it's pyramid, but Club soccer has....oh wait, I don't enough fingers to count how many leagues. US Soccer only pulls national team pool from MLS on boys side and I have seen many players in NPL or USYS NL or ECNL that have more talent that REVS some Revs boys. Lots of wasted talent. Girls side is better as ECNL is the top league (just ask the 07 girls forum) so more girls get seen by national team scouts.
                      Until US Soccer steps in as the one and only governing body of youth soccer with one clear pyramid then US Soccer will continue to suck down the line. But as we all know, the almighty dollar rules all and clubs will continue to thrive and prey on hopeful parents.

Comment

probably should take the high school sucks debate to another thread.

Comment

For some reason, thought this site was down. Just found this thread.

Check out the former joke of the TriValley League Millis starting to turn into the best team in that league.

Milton with a strong start. Bay State looked stacked. Brookline, Needham, Newton North and Framingham tops teams in that league. Do we throw Milton into the discussion?

Dual County with a tough start.

Comment

Sandwich has the same issue. The coach hanging around way too long for his own selfish reasons while letting the program fall off a cliff. It’s truly sad to watch.
                            Didn't Sandwich tie the mighty Nauset?

Comment

Didn't Sandwich tie the mighty Nauset?
                              Yes, Sandwich tied Cape Cod Regional HS, I mean Nauset, 1-1.

Comment

Why is nauset not in D1

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X