Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall a few years ago another well known coach tried to cover up for a player who had done something wrong and that didn't work out well either. The coach was removed as coach and subsequently lost his "regular" job. Even worse, the player who was being "protected", went on to college and committed nearly the exact same offense and ended up with a suspension and lost a spot in the national team program ( for other reasons as well). Too bad she wasn't allowed to learn from her original mistake rather than being destined to repeat it

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I recall a few years ago another well known coach tried to cover up for a player who had done something wrong and that didn't work out well either. The coach was removed as coach and subsequently lost his "regular" job. Even worse, the player who was being "protected", went on to college and committed nearly the exact same offense and ended up with a suspension and lost a spot in the national team program ( for other reasons as well). Too bad she wasn't allowed to learn from her original mistake rather than being destined to repeat it
      Officer Fred???????????

Comment

Commonwealth of Massachusetts: Anti-Hazing Law

Chapter 269: Section 17. Hazing; organizing or participating; hazing defined

Whoever is a principal organizer or participant in the crime of hazing, as defined herein, shall be punished by a fine of not more than three thousand dollars or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than one year, or both such fine and imprisonment.
        The term “hazing” as used in this section and in sections eighteen and nineteen, shall mean any conduct or method of initiation into any student organization, whether on public or private property, which willfully or recklessly endangers the physical or mental health of any student or other person. Such conduct shall include whipping, beating, branding, forced calisthenics, exposure to the weather, forced consumption of any food, liquor,
        beverage, drug or other substance, or any other brutal treatment or forced physical activity which is likely to adversely affect the physical health or safety of any such student or other person, or which subjects such student or other person to extreme mental stress, including extended deprivation of sleep or rest or extended isolation.
        Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section to the contrary, consent shall not be available as a defense to any prosecution under this action.

Neck wounds and a bloody nose seems like it might fit into the definition of "hazing".
        I did not see that part. If that is true then it is physical. If true then it really is hazing but as for criminal repercussions. That is a stretch.

Comment

Believe me, the Needham Policy Dept. and the Dist. Attorney's Office will be under quite a bit of pressure to bring charges up against the five players involved as well as the coach who had an obligation to come forward once he was made aware of the incident but failed to do so. Those who were the subject of the hazing will have no say in the matter although their testimony will be critical.
          See? Now this I think is taking it a bit too far. The suspensions are appropriate punishment for this incident, but turning this into a criminal offense is over the top.

Comment

Wow, Cujo, this is a scary post. You seem to be applauding kids for opting not to defend themselves against abusive behavior because "4 years can be a long time in HS..." Your note that "there are better ways of getting a team to bond than dog leashes," is also mind-blowing, in my opinion. Was this a tongue in cheek comment, or were you really pondering on the team-bonding process? I guess, having read nasty comments from you to posters in the past, it doesn't shock me that you seem to be on board with seniors "initiating" younger kids in whatever manner you deem ok. I wonder if you were my daughter's coach...

You totally misundertand my point. I am saying that the kids may have felt intimidated into saying that they were ok with the "hazing". I am pointing out that they may be expressing a victim's mentality and (think minor league Stockholm Syndrome....). Furthermore I am not saying what they did was ok. I thought I was pretty clear that I would not allow it as a HS coach. I coached for 6 years and there NEVER was a hazing incident on my team because I set clear guidelines for the players. I didn't need an MIAA or school handbook or a LAW to apply common sense as to what constitutes appropriate behavior and interaction between students.

This incident is clearly wrong and the participants and adults should be punished and suffer the consequences. That being said, it falls short of a criminal act.

Is that clear enough? Now go ahead and misinterpret that post...

- Cujo

Comment

Is this the same guy who coaches at NEFC?
              Not good for a lot of reasons.

Comment

These things happen to 18, 19 and 20 year old college students because they learn in their earlier educational and sports careers that this is perfectly acceptable behavior. It is not. The suspension should remain and the people who think that this is appropriate at any age might consider how much they would appreciate being led through their office in a dog collar and had pies smashed in their face by coworkers as a team building exercise.
                Please. This is precisely the reason why Generation Y or the Millenniums or whatever they call themselves these days are the worst workers ever to enter the workforce. The sense of entitlement is mindboggling, unwilling to do entry level work and consistently stunned by the realities of real life. I’d hate to tell you what the hazing was 25 years ago in HS Football, and no one was scared for life because it. Keep pampering.

Comment

So a girl can get suspended for riding a horse to school on "Dress as a Knight Day" in Wenham and the Needham girls should be allowed to play
                  Now THERE is an example of when a school principal should be fired for total incompetence. Tell the kid to get off the horse, put it back in it's trailer, send it home with the parents who were there supervising and tell them don't ever do that again. Instead he suspends them for 2 days saying the horse was like a loaded gun. The guy must have never gotten a pony ride as a kid.

Comment

For anyone who knows one of the parents seeking an injunction, give them this copy of the law against hazing since they think being suspended from the playoffs is too harsh.

Chapter 269, Section 17
                    Crime of Hazing, Definition, Penalty
                    Whoever is a principal organizer or participant in the crime of hazing, as defined herein,
                    shall be punished by a fine of not more than three thousand dollars or by imprisonment
                    in a house of correction for not more than one year, or both such fine and imprisonment.
                    The term hazing as used in this section and in sections eighteen and nineteen, shall
                    mean any conduct or method of initiation into any student organization, whether on
                    public or private property, which willfully or recklessly endangers the physical or mental
                    health of any student or other person. Such conduct shall include whipping, beating,
                    branding, forced calisthenics, exposure to the weather, forced consumption of any food,
                    liquor, beverage, drug or other substance, or any other brutal treatment or forced
                    physical activity which is likely to adversely affect the physical health or safety of any
                    such student or person, or which subjects such student or other person to extreme mental
                    stress, including extended deprivation of sleep or rest or extended isolation.
                    Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section to the contrary, consent shall not be
                    available as a defense to any prosecution under this action. Added by St. 1985, c.536;
                    amended by St. 1987, c.665.
                    Sounds like what they did is probably not "hazing" under this law. Worthy of suspension - sure; criminal conduct - probably not.

Comment

Sounds like what they did is probably not "hazing" under this law. Worthy of suspension - sure; criminal conduct - probably not.
                      Unless the pies had vodka in them.

Comment

Please. This is precisely the reason why Generation Y or the Millenniums or whatever they call themselves these days are the worst workers ever to enter the workforce. The sense of entitlement is mindboggling, unwilling to do entry level work and consistently stunned by the realities of real life. I’d hate to tell you what the hazing was 25 years ago in HS Football, and no one was scared for life because it. Keep pampering.
                        I hate to agree, but unfortunately I do. It is parents who take stuff like this to court instead of giving their kid a slap on the side of the head and a "*** were you thinking?!" that are producing these future adults. Our country is doomed.

Comment

See? Now this I think is taking it a bit too far. The suspensions are appropriate punishment for this incident, but turning this into a criminal offense is over the top.
                          I would hope that the MIAA will get involved and issue fines and suspensions for all involved and sanctions against the coach. I do believe criminal charges should be persuded, but that probation is warranted.

Comment

Oh please. My husband employs Gen. Y & Millenniums or whatever you want to call them, and says this is the smartest, most driven group of individuals he's ever worked with (he's in his late 40s). Stop generalizing and spouting secondhand info.

Sorry to hear about the hazing. Obviously it had an effect on you.

Comment

I would hope that the MIAA will get involved and issue fines and suspensions for all involved and sanctions against the coach. I do believe criminal charges should be persuded, but that probation is warranted.
                              How are you going to fine a HS coach? Suspend, yes, fine, get a clue.

Comment

Fine - not so much.

Suspend or Fire? Yup

Comment

Working...
                                X