Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Sporting Club

Does anyone know about this club located in DC?

New and very small club, I believe they only have two teams. Super technical and more interested in developing players than the results on the field. 2010 boys team has been together for 4+ years and they are getting results on the field now, very fun to watch how comfortable every player is on the ball. Coaches are amazing! In my opinion, this is for DC kids who don't want to drive around the surrounding counties for high level soccer training, so you wealthy, sheltered suburbanites need not apply. You'd probably be scared off by the surrounding neighborhood they train at in DC either way to notice what they are building so stick to Bethesda and McLean and leave City to the ballers and development process that happens in soccer "culture" playing countries (i.e. not the U.S.) were the best talent is developed not the kids with biggest trust funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      New and very small club, I believe they only have two teams. Super technical and more interested in developing players than the results on the field. 2010 boys team has been together for 4+ years and they are getting results on the field now, very fun to watch how comfortable every player is on the ball. Coaches are amazing! In my opinion, this is for DC kids who don't want to drive around the surrounding counties for high level soccer training, so you wealthy, sheltered suburbanites need not apply. You'd probably be scared off by the surrounding neighborhood they train at in DC either way to notice what they are building so stick to Bethesda and McLean and leave City to the ballers and development process that happens in soccer "culture" playing countries (i.e. not the U.S.) were the best talent is developed not the kids with biggest trust funds.
      This is a pretty curious response to someone who may be interested in the club, about whom you know nothing. The positives sound good but why all the vitriol against "wealthy, sheltered suburbanites" and "kids with the biggest trust funds"? It makes you sound defensive. According to the EDP website, the club has three teams: one U16 (2007) and two U13 (2010). The top level 2010 team plays in EDP Div. III and is currently 1-1-2 (wins-draws-losses). After ECNL, MLS Next, and 3 EDP/USYS conferences, this is basically the fifth division locally. The home field locations are also listed. All are in DC and I don't know whether your suburban strawmen would be scared off but the facilities look good.

Comment

I was curious to see how the season went for the 2010 boys team based on the above post, so I checked back-in. It turns out the squad didn't win another match in the fall 2022 season, or any in the spring 2023 season. Over the two seasons they finished with a W-D-L record of 1-3-11 in EDP Div. III. I wonder about how the kids deal with that and whether they and their parents are happy. I'm sure the coaches will say that they're developing the kids to play soccer the right way and judging from the post above, they've got some devoted fans. But what exactly are they developing kids for? A very small minority of kids are going to play at a level past high school. Does constant losing affect their love for the game? No matter the "high level soccer training," I would think this would be a grind. I know results aren't the end all, be all of youth sports, but if the player development was so excellent, I would think they'd be able to translate it into some better results against relatively weak regional competition.

Comment

Do they have a girls team?

Comment

There are four girls featured on the website. It looks like they haven't increased the numbers for the girls side.

Comment

Do they have a girls team?
              Expanded this year to include a 2008 Girls Team and multiple Boys Teams within 2007-2013 age ranges. They will place the child where their skills will be best developed regardless of gender or age. Great that there is finally a club in DC proper developing creative players who should stick around for awhile given their growth so far

Comment

They have several girls on each team and still working on creating a girl side other than their 06 Girls team.

Comment

Any update on this club?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X