Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tournaments vs Leagues

I have a question for the group. Why does it seem winning a league is so anticlimactic and winning a tournament is always more memorable for a team? In theory winning the league is your goal for the year.

The emotional buildup is compressed into a few days vs a slog over 10 months. Basic psychology at work.

Comment

You can know you are winning the league weeks ahead of the end of the season, and without a head to head matchup to decide it between the two top teams. A tournament is designed to match up the best two, so it is more dramatic and as pointed out, compressed in a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        I have a question for the group. Why does it seem winning a league is so anticlimactic and winning a tournament is always more memorable for a team? In theory winning the league is your goal for the year.
        Sergio Aguero scoring the winning goal in extra time on the last day to give MCity the title was one of, if not THE, most dramatic soccer event I've seen in my lifetime.

Comment

In the youth game; playing at a competitive tournament (doesn't have to be high level, but a level where every team is matched closely), is normally more rewarding than leagues where there is often a lot of disparity between the top and bottom. So being successful over the grind of multiple games in a short period against good competition is rewarding. In most places, winning the league doesn't have a reward - I think ECNL puts you in a higher National Champ Bracket. But with the current focus being events, I'm not sure National Championships (of which there are many) have a lot of meaning. Winning Dallas Cup? We'll probably harder.

Comment

In the youth game; playing at a competitive tournament (doesn't have to be high level, but a level where every team is matched closely), is normally more rewarding than leagues where there is often a lot of disparity between the top and bottom. So being successful over the grind of multiple games in a short period against good competition is rewarding. In most places, winning the league doesn't have a reward - I think ECNL puts you in a higher National Champ Bracket. But with the current focus being events, I'm not sure National Championships (of which there are many) have a lot of meaning. Winning Dallas Cup? We'll probably harder.
            Playing in the National championship top flight for ECNL is great for recruiting. Lots of attention from coaches

Comment

you play in more tournaments than leagues, so more chance to win. The odds are if you win you league, you might have also won two or more tournaments

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X