Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Clubs?

My kid is approaching the recruiting years. We are considering switching clubs. Thoughts on how that goes during this time? How many times is too many?

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    My kid is approaching the recruiting years. We are considering switching clubs. Thoughts on how that goes during this time? How many times is too many?
    make damn sure they're going to actually get on the field with meaningful minutes before switching off to a higher level club.

Comment

Not at the recruiting age, but interested in this topic and how navigate the trial practices without anything getting back to the current club and taking a life of its own while evaluating whether to make the move or not? Clubs we are considering have parent-player connections across clubs.

Comment

It's a small state and a small coaches community. Everybody will know. Just request to attend a training that's far far better vs just going to tryouts

Comment

They’ll find out. There’s always someone who knows someone in your club. Winter is easier. Less overlap of people at facilities.

Comment

Who cares if people find out. You need to do what’s best for your child and not worry what others say.

Comment

Who cares if people find out. You need to do what’s best for your child and not worry what others say.
              Agreed. There's a way to exit and not burn a bridge. If you feel your kid has progressed beyond what the club can offer, be up front about it with them. Be prepared for some "no, you're wrong" but in the end, it's your kid and you have to do what YOU feel is best.

Request a meeting, be prepared, explain your reasoning. Wish them luck, thank them for caring and developing your child, and move on. If they are pissed then, it's on them.

We had to leave within the last 18 months. One person was beyond gracious, and while disappointed he understood our position and it was left with a handshake and a profuse "thank you" from us, as I really respected what they had done for her up to that point. Another person, got pissed, bragged about all he did and how he develops players, and was trying to get my then teenage daughter to tears warning her of how it was going to be. I reached out after, again thanking them both via an e-mail as a way to give him one more shot. The first replied, with same kind words. The other ignored. Oh well, I did my part. My kid ran into him several months later and I encouraged her to chat him up. He was even more of a jerk then. I just laughed and thanked her for being the adult in the room.

Comment

Agree, but as you know the grass isn’t always greener once you get a look and we aren’t looking to blow up the 2nd half of winter and spring with the current club by becoming a pariah. I felt it was a small world of coaches so thanks for confirming that a trial practice probably won’t even be over and our current club would already know that we attended.

Comment

Curious, what is it about your current club that you’re not happy with? Playing time?

Comment

Switching clubs once isn’t an issue. Switching clubs constantly represents a problem with the family or player. College coaches beware.

Comment

So- you have eliminated Oakwood, FSA, and CFC. The rest will not care and frankly, won’t matter if you are thinking of recruiting.

Comment

- Definitely call clubs and ask to attend Practices now, not later in the spring

- Your club will probably find out. If they get pissy about it then leaving is a good call. In reality they all know players leave for many different reasons.

- Don't say anything to the club until you're definitely leaving. The clubs you are looking at might not give them an offer or be a good fit

- Only move if you're confident she's a 1-14 player. Benchwarming isn't good for development. If they look lost/really struggle at practices it's probably not a good fit.

- Be polite when leaving. It's a small state and you never know when paths will cross again

Comment

Agree, but as you know the grass isn’t always greener once you get a look and we aren’t looking to blow up the 2nd half of winter and spring with the current club by becoming a pariah. I felt it was a small world of coaches so thanks for confirming that a trial practice probably won’t even be over and our current club would already know that we attended.
                          Eh. There's only one club in CT petty enough to care and that's FSA - girls and boys. if your kid is a girl, by all means, get out. If he's a boy, just know that FSA will be d1ck5 about it. (though since you're concerned bout recruiting, it must be a girl - this won't affect recruiting at all.)

Comment

- Definitely call clubs and ask to attend Practices now, not later in the spring

- Your club will probably find out. If they get pissy about it then leaving is a good call. In reality they all know players leave for many different reasons.

- Don't say anything to the club until you're definitely leaving. The clubs you are looking at might not give them an offer or be a good fit

- Only move if you're confident she's a 1-14 player. Benchwarming isn't good for development. If they look lost/really struggle at practices it's probably not a good fit.

- Be polite when leaving. It's a small state and you never know when paths will cross again
                            Very Good.
                            This thread could really be closed now.

Comment

Take a look at conference record… if they are a losing team, that team will be placed in very low brackets of showcases where college coaches don’t show up. They show up to top bracket games of showcases and to get into that bracket you need to be a winning team in your ECNL conference.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X