Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing up or not!

My daughter plays for a 2009 team as a 2010 born player. The reason is that the team when we joined the club there weren't enough girls at the time to field a 2010 team. Since then the 2010 team has been formed however she benefitted tremendously from the experience and pretty far ahead many of the girls from a skill and IQ perspective and hasn't really enjoyed playing with the 2010 aged team due to the big drop off in skilled teammates. Her 2009 teammates will be playing high school soccer after next year which will leave her without her team for half the season. I was hoping for some advice on whether we should stick it out until her team heads to high school and find a new club then or should we be looking for a new 2010 team for her to play with now. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    My daughter plays for a 2009 team as a 2010 born player. The reason is that the team when we joined the club there weren't enough girls at the time to field a 2010 team. Since then the 2010 team has been formed however she benefitted tremendously from the experience and pretty far ahead many of the girls from a skill and IQ perspective and hasn't really enjoyed playing with the 2010 aged team due to the big drop off in skilled teammates. Her 2009 teammates will be playing high school soccer after next year which will leave her without her team for half the season. I was hoping for some advice on whether we should stick it out until her team heads to high school and find a new club then or should we be looking for a new 2010 team for her to play with now. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    if you like the club then stay. she can play for both teams if they belong to the same club. she will get 2x the playing time.

Comment

Its likely the club will have a U15 team in her 8th grade fall to include the few 2009s in her grade, along with the 2010s. So, like it or not, in the fall season she's with her age. If she's a leader/stand out, then she'll probably continue to play with her 2009 team in the spring. If she is upstaged by the 2010s, then that might be the end of her time playing up. If she's really good and doesnt want to slum it with her age even that little bit, Oakwood is your only choice.

Comment

I’m sure she’s not as great as you think she is. 99% of the kids in this state aren’t very good.

Comment

She's at an age where she should be playing age appropriate. By now the only ones playing up atr generally either exceptional and top 5 starter on an older team or playing on an older team that's beneath their skill level

Comment

know exactly who this is get over yourself and your team got beat 0 -13 a few weeks ago go try out a few different places and youll find out the hard truth that your kid is too slow and should be playing her own age

Comment

know exactly who this is get over yourself and your team got beat 0 -13 a few weeks ago go try out a few different places and youll find out the hard truth that your kid is too slow and should be playing her own age
              is this an typical ow mom vs ow mom cat fight? ow 09 team not really good. poster was correct lost to SSS 13-0

Comment

These parents belong on the worst parents thread. Total windbags. The Dad? What a chump. OW should have never taken this kid.

Comment

These parents belong on the worst parents thread. Total windbags. The Dad? What a chump. OW should have never taken this kid.
                  who is it? a 2010 parent playing up on 09s?

Comment

If you feel you have to play up, 99% of the time its because the kid is at the wrong club.

Comment

If you feel you have to play up, 99% of the time its because the kid is at the wrong club.
                      yes, or your kid isn't nearly as good as you think they are. or a combination. it's easy to look like a star on a weak team.

Comment

yes, or your kid isn't nearly as good as you think they are. or a combination. it's easy to look like a star on a weak team.
                        yep - absolutely true. i remember my Ds old club wanted her to play up. I was like no, shes good but not so good that she should be playing up. It was more about the club having holes in the older teams. playing on age was more appropriate for her.

Comment

yep - absolutely true. i remember my Ds old club wanted her to play up. I was like no, shes good but not so good that she should be playing up. It was more about the club having holes in the older teams. playing on age was more appropriate for her.
                          Know when to hold’em and know when to fold’em. Hope you moved on. Valley is a total con job.

Comment

People get enamored with saying how great their kid is that they have to play the older kids. Meanwhile its not good, the club sucks and theyre being used by the doc.

Comment

People get enamored with saying how great their kid is that they have to play the older kids. Meanwhile its not good, the club sucks and theyre being used by the doc.
                              A well run club doesn't need to fill in gaps with younger kids, and will only play up younger kids if the younger player will be a top starter and improvethe team. Too many aren't well run so they need fillers (which has the added benefit of stroking parent egos) and/or they cave to parent pressure to play their kids up. Play one up and several others will be asking for theirs to play up too. It can be a mess of the club's own making.

Just because your player is a top player in their age group doesn't mean they should play up. Big picture, are they bored? Not learning? Because doing well doesn't mean they aren't learning and improving. If they aren't and importantly are asking for a bigger challenge, then find a stronger team for their age group.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X