Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talent ID Director - Conflict of Interest Placing Daughter on the NTCs and Recently o

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talent ID Director - Conflict of Interest Placing Daughter on the NTCs and Recently o

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED FIVE TIMES FROM A VIRGINIA SOCCER FORUM BY A SITE MANAGER THAT PROTECTS THE TALENT DIRECTOR FOR THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION. HOPEFULLY, THIS IS THE RIGHT FORUM FOR THIS POST GIVEN THAT IT RELATES TO REGION I.)

NTC = National Training Centers
    USYNT = U.S. Youth National Team

Diane Drake, who is the Talent Director for Mid-Atlantic Region, has placed her daughter on the NTCs for many years and recently placed her daughter and a friend of her daughter on the USYNT (virtual camp) despite the apparent conflict of interest. (Everyone in NoVA knows who these players are. It's in the public realm.)

How do you feel about this? Do you feel angry about it because there are better players than her daughter (and her daughter's friend) in Region I (East Region or Mid-Atlantic Region) who got passed over and did not get that opportunity due to her personal strategy to advance her daughter's best interests?

Are you angry that Ms. Drake controls the process through her friendships/acquaintances with coaches and that there is nothing that we could do about it? Or are you Ok with it because you think that her daughter is a national level type of player?

Do you think that U.S. Soccer cares about such abuse of power or influence given Ms. Drake's position as Mid-Atlantic Director of Talent Identification?

Please, share your thoughts. U.S. Soccer does care about this situation. And your opinion matters!

(WHETHER YOUR DAUGHTER OR MY DAUGHTER IS GOOD OR BAD, OR NOT WORTHY OF BEING ON THE USYNT, IS IRRELEVANT. THE IMPORTANT POINT IS THAT THE PROCESS IS CONTAMINATED BY INIQUITY AND PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT. HER PLACEMENT OF HER DAUGHTER ON THE USYNT IS UNETHICAL CONDUCT VIOLATIVE OF AN INHERENT CONFLICT OF INTEREST. THAT IS WRONG, AND MS. DRAKE OUGHT TO RESIGN OR SHOULD BE FIRED. THAT IS MY OPINION.)

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    (THIS POST WAS REMOVED FIVE TIMES FROM A VIRGINIA SOCCER FORUM BY A SITE MANAGER THAT PROTECTS THE TALENT DIRECTOR FOR THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION. HOPEFULLY, THIS IS THE RIGHT FORUM FOR THIS POST GIVEN THAT IT RELATES TO REGION I.)

NTC = National Training Centers
    USYNT = U.S. Youth National Team

Diane Drake, who is the Talent Director for Mid-Atlantic Region, has placed her daughter on the NTCs for many years and recently placed her daughter and a friend of her daughter on the USYNT (virtual camp) despite the apparent conflict of interest. (Everyone in NoVA knows who these players are. It's in the public realm.)

How do you feel about this? Do you feel angry about it because there are better players than her daughter (and her daughter's friend) in Region I (East Region or Mid-Atlantic Region) who got passed over and did not get that opportunity due to her personal strategy to advance her daughter's best interests?

Are you angry that Ms. Drake controls the process through her friendships/acquaintances with coaches and that there is nothing that we could do about it? Or are you Ok with it because you think that her daughter is a national level type of player?

Do you think that U.S. Soccer cares about such abuse of power or influence given Ms. Drake's position as Mid-Atlantic Director of Talent Identification?

Please, share your thoughts. U.S. Soccer does care about this situation. And your opinion matters!

(WHETHER YOUR DAUGHTER OR MY DAUGHTER IS GOOD OR BAD, OR NOT WORTHY OF BEING ON THE USYNT, IS IRRELEVANT. THE IMPORTANT POINT IS THAT THE PROCESS IS CONTAMINATED BY INIQUITY AND PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT. HER PLACEMENT OF HER DAUGHTER ON THE USYNT IS UNETHICAL CONDUCT VIOLATIVE OF AN INHERENT CONFLICT OF INTEREST. THAT IS WRONG, AND MS. DRAKE OUGHT TO RESIGN OR SHOULD BE FIRED. THAT IS MY OPINION.)
    Welcome to the real world, son. Most people in life do not have an equal chance at what they want out of life. We can work hard to limit the gross misuse of positions of power, money, or fame, but it’s still always there. The question for your daughter and other daughters is what is in your control? Visibility, training, team selection, game performance, and basic self-promotion.

Good luck! Your daughter will ask this same question “why her” in her first job when a colleague is promoted or as a mid-manager when a colleague is selected for VP. The answer is the same. What can you control and where can you push on yourself?

Comment

Region I Talent ID Director - Conflict of Interest Placing Daughter on NTCs and USYNT

First of all, thanks for your response. I appreciate it. And I apologize for my belated response.

I have filed a complaint with U.S. Soccer alleging that, in the Mid-Atlantic Region [Region I, or the East Region], Ms. Drake has been abusing her power intentionally for years to promote the best interests of her daughter on NTCs and, recently, on the USYNT through a corrupt, iniquitous process of crony selectionism and that her conflict of interest in recommending and selecting players in the 2004 age-group, especially her daughter and her daughter's friend, creates "an appearance of impropriety which, in corporate bodies, usually results in persons in positions of power or influence being fired or resigning for mere mistakes," and in her case it was an intentional violation of her ethical duty to the general public in Region I, one that jeopardizes the integrity of the talent identification/selection process in such region. My complaint is limited in scope to the Mid-Atlantic Region. I have requested an independent investigation of Ms. Drake's conduct, but there is not enough evidence nor public opinion on whether such "appearance of impropriety" is undermining the integrity of the talent identification/selection process. I believe that U.S. Soccer cares, but we have to care more and give our opinion, even if anonymously. U.S. Soccer believes that "their identification process is structured to prevent undue influence by a single person (or even a group of people) in youth national team selection." That may be so in theory, but it is certainly not the case in practice. And that is not even the point. To be sure, the point is that Ms. Drake ought to have recused herself, as a matter of protocol, from any talent recommendation or any selection of players to NTCs or to the USYNT in the 2003/2004 age-group, since her daughter plays in that age group and, as a parent, she is ineluctably biased and, furthermore, that ignoring such conflict of interest causes an appearance of impropriety that taints the integrity of the entire process.

Secondly, I am not complaining to promote my daughter's best interest nor anyone else's daughter. I am merely a messenger for a myriad of anonymous voices who think (and feel) that crony selectionism has undermined the integrity of the national team identification and selection process in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Finally, I agree with your statement that "[w]e can work hard to limit the gross misuse of positions of power, money, or fame, but it’s still always there." But, once it is there and a gross abuse of power is apparent, we must organize and take action calling for the removal or resignation of the person who is abusing such power and jeopardizing the probity and fairness of the process, which in this case is Ms. Drake.

Please elaborate your thoughts if you agree with me. How could U.S. Soccer care about such impropriety if we dismiss it cavalierly due to fear or apathy or some other personal reason? If we do not share opinions, U.S. will cling to its position that the USYNT talent identification process is pristine and infallible, albeit in practice it is quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Region I Talent ID Director - Conflict of Interest Placing Daughter on NTCs and USYNT

First of all, thanks for your response. I appreciate it. And I apologize for my belated response.

I have filed a complaint with U.S. Soccer alleging that, in the Mid-Atlantic Region [Region I, or the East Region], Ms. Drake has been abusing her power intentionally for years to promote the best interests of her daughter on NTCs and, recently, on the USYNT through a corrupt, iniquitous process of crony selectionism and that her conflict of interest in recommending and selecting players in the 2004 age-group, especially her daughter and her daughter's friend, creates "an appearance of impropriety which, in corporate bodies, usually results in persons in positions of power or influence being fired or resigning for mere mistakes," and in her case it was an intentional violation of her ethical duty to the general public in Region I, one that jeopardizes the integrity of the talent identification/selection process in such region. My complaint is limited in scope to the Mid-Atlantic Region. I have requested an independent investigation of Ms. Drake's conduct, but there is not enough evidence nor public opinion on whether such "appearance of impropriety" is undermining the integrity of the talent identification/selection process. I believe that U.S. Soccer cares, but we have to care more and give our opinion, even if anonymously. U.S. Soccer believes that "their identification process is structured to prevent undue influence by a single person (or even a group of people) in youth national team selection." That may be so in theory, but it is certainly not the case in practice. And that is not even the point. To be sure, the point is that Ms. Drake ought to have recused herself, as a matter of protocol, from any talent recommendation or any selection of players to NTCs or to the USYNT in the 2003/2004 age-group, since her daughter plays in that age group and, as a parent, she is ineluctably biased and, furthermore, that ignoring such conflict of interest causes an appearance of impropriety that taints the integrity of the entire process.

Secondly, I am not complaining to promote my daughter's best interest nor anyone else's daughter. I am merely a messenger for a myriad of anonymous voices who think (and feel) that crony selectionism has undermined the integrity of the national team identification and selection process in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Finally, I agree with your statement that "[w]e can work hard to limit the gross misuse of positions of power, money, or fame, but its still always there." But, once it is there and a gross abuse of power is apparent, we must organize and take action calling for the removal or resignation of the person who is abusing such power and jeopardizing the probity and fairness of the process, which in this case is Ms. Drake.

Please elaborate your thoughts if you agree with me. How could U.S. Soccer care about such impropriety if we dismiss it cavalierly due to fear or apathy or some other personal reason? If we do not share opinions, U.S. will cling to its position that the USYNT talent identification process is pristine and infallible, albeit in practice it is quite the opposite.
        I don’t disagree. In fact I have an employee who felt a
        leader outside of our group was unfairly trashing her ideas and projects at any chance. She raised it to HR. HR bunted it to my manager and ducked out of the process. Don’t be surprised if there’s a lack of a paper trail or an optional path that led to the inclusion of friends or family like someone moving to another region post-selection.

There is a lot of qualitative measurement in this game. Perhaps the only way to know if those selected are a stretch is to actually watch a practice session. I do think we in the US have a unique problem coming soon where we have too many equivalently talented players that is a pool bigger than the current regional talent centers allow for. It makes sense that after 30 years of widespread soccer where generations of soccer families dot the 50 states that we are going to run into this problem where it will become quite difficult to honestly, accurately evaluate the relative differences between talented players. It’s for this reason why I think all premier clubs really need to begin tracking more than just goals and assists at a player level and contribute them to a national player database. Without proper tracking of a wide range of attributes it is going to be a debatable process.

Again I’m just a dad of 3 uLittles, but a former player myself all too familiar with how politics, being on a less than stellar team, or generally getting lost in the system will prevent admission to the highest levels of the game.

Comment

“Do you see over yonder [Don Quijote looking at windmills thinking that they are giants] ... thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them.”
          ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote.

Thanks for those whom replied. The U.S. Soccer Talent Identification Process, at least in the Mid-Atlantic Region, which comprises a large part of Region I, is utterly shattered and untrustworthy. Many of you who remain anonymous were correct. U.S. Soccer does not care. They protect their own and they rely on the venerable, infallible words of their mission, which, in practice, is a God-forsaken farce. It is time for me to put the last part of my "whistleblower" complaint against Ms. Drake here online for all to see. Maybe there is one just soul with power that could do something about this injustice and abuse of power, which, at the very least, is conducive to an appearance of impropriety. Here is the last of the correspondences with U.S. Soccer. If anyone is interested, I could certainly send the uneduted version of the rest of my whistleblower correspondences with U.S. Soccer. At this point, since the U.S. Soccer Federation does not care and will not investigate Ms. Drake - choosing instead to protect her - there is nothing to lose in posting some of the complaint here (edited by me in some parts) and perhaps much to gain in the near future from a fairer process if there are valiant souls that wish to collaborate to take affirmative action:

I have to post this in 3 different posts. (The Last One is Arguably the Most Cogent and Best Written.) Here is the gist of the Whistleblower Complaint, in three parts, in case anyone cares:

FIRST & SECOND E-MAILS TO U.S. SOCCER FEDERATION - (MOST OF IT IS INTENTIONALLY EDITED ...)

Sent: Wednesday,July 21, 2021 12:32 PM
          To: ********@ussoccer.org>
          Cc: **********@ussoccer.org;

Subject: CONFIDENTIAL - Ms. Drake's Intentional Breach of an Ethical Duty to Avoid a Conflict of Interest in the Selection of Players to NTCs and to the USYNT Pool
          Importance: High

Thanks for U.S. Soccer’s reply to my e-mail (“Reply”) complaining about the alleged unethical conduct of Diane Drake, the Mid-Atlantic Talent Director (“Ms. Drake”). I apologize for the belated response. I have been doing some research to endeavor to marshal some evidence in support of my allegations.

Sope of Complaint

In the first sentence of your Reply, you thanked me for raising “ … concerns about U.S. Soccer’s national team selection.” I want to point out, for purposes of clarification, that I am only concerned about the talent identification process in the Mid-Atlantic Region, which has reprehensibly been perverted by Ms. Drake, as explained below. (I understand the distinction between U.S. Soccer and U.S. Youth Soccer. This complaint concern’s Ms. Drake’s abuse of her position for U.S. Soccer. )

Interested Party

The Northern Virginia soccer community – comprised of both parents and coaches – is the “interested party” bringing this complaint of unethical conduct by Ms. Drake. (I am only the messenger.) Someone has to have the temerity to raise the issue of corruption or, at least, the appearance of gross impropriety. Otherwise, the integrity of our national talent identification process is doomed from inception, especially if selections at the regional level are not based on merit, but rather are based on politics or other predilections.

The task – or, better said, burden – of raising the issue of Ms. Drake’s gross and unethical impropriety has fallen on my shoulders, since as a women’s soccer agent, scout, and coach of professional players, I am engrossed in the sport of, and am an advocate for, women’s soccer. More than one person has asked me to write this letter on behalf of the Northern Virginia community. Yet, they wish to remain anonymous for fear of reprisals. (Just because [USSF] says the “U.S. Soccer’s policies prohibit any retaliation …” does not mean it does not, or cannot, occur.)

. . .

The Deleterious Effect of Crony Selectionism

Moreover, the posts in the Soccer Forum express a deplorable outrage concerning the certainty that the national-team identification process and USYNT selection system in the Mid-Atlantic Region is inherently unfair because it is politically motivated and is indirectly controlled by Ms. Drake and her cronies. In this sullied process of “crony selectionism,” which is a reality in the Mid-Atlantic Region, especially with Ms. Drake as the behind-the-scenes conductor, the FC Virginia soccer club’s coaches (***** and ******), ****** (the George Mason University coach), ****** (Richmond United ECNL), and an assistant coach from Navy, among others, recommend the players that Ms. Drake wants to see selected to the NTCs and to the USYNT. While it may be true, as {US Soccer Federation' spokesperson] stated in her Reply describing the talent identification process, that “… [it] does not allow authority for a single person like Ms. Drake to determine who will be selected [to NTCs and to the USYNT],” this defense mechanism against conflicts of interest becomes irrelevant if, as is the case in reality, Ms. Drake’s cronies, as described above, are beholden to her and are selecting the players, like her daughter (***), that she wants to see attending the NTCs and the USYNT camps, rather than those who merit selection due to technical skill and tactical knowledge. All of her cronies want influence, and they get it by recommending the players that she prefers. The Soccer Forum even states that she has private “round-table discussions” with such coaches. One bad apple, like Ms. Drake, in such a high position of influence and power, as Talent Director for the Mid-Atlantic Region, undermines the entire talent identification/selection process described by {US Soccer Federation' spokesperson] in her Reply.

* Mr. ***** [from TSJ FC VA] used to be a national scout but was removed from such position for reasons that I do not know.

The Appearance of Impropriety Is Glaringly Apparent

Without doubt, Ms. Drake will deny these allegations. Unfortunately, this is a “he said, she says” situation, and there will be no concrete proof of an abuse of Ms. Drake’s position without the U.S. Soccer Federation’s determined commitment to do a thorough, independent investigation of Ms. Drake’s past (identification/selection) records and without examining (perhaps by sworn depositions?) all of her cronies involved in the talent identification process. But one thing is certainly clear. The posts in the Soccer Forum reveal the intuitive certainty of the appearance of impropriety in the execution of Ms. Drake’s scouting duties is glaringly apparent, and this alone merits a suspension pending a meticulous investigation of Ms. Drake’s character and conduct. There is sufficient suspicion in the anonymous Soccer Forum of such abuse, which jeopardizes the fairness and integrity of the talent identification process in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Comment

CONTINUATION OF INUTILE WHISTLEBLOWER COMPLAINT AGAINST MS. DRAKE:

My Humble Opinion as a Coach and Trainer of Professional Women Soccer Players

I am deeply involved in women’s professional soccer, and I have been involved as a coach/trainer in youth soccer (especially in the (04) age-group) during the last twelve years.

I have done my own, independent research. I know of the players in question ... whom were selected by Ms. Drake and her cronies to the USYNT for the 04/03 age-group. I have seen them play in several tough games (i.e., in 2019 Arlington Girls Academy vs TJS FC Virginia Girls Academy), and I have spoken to A-license and B-license coaches whom have seen them play. I could honestly tell you that, while both players are above-average, they are not worthy of the august honor of USYNT status. The Northern Virginia community knows this. They were superimposed on that team by fiat, pursuant to an intentional abuse of Ms. Drake’s position and a breach of her ethical duty to avoid conflicts of interest, one which benefitted her daughter and her friend. And if you probe deeply and thoroughly enough, not only will this conclusion be evident, but its pervasiveness – spanning several years of impropriety – will be glaringly apparent.

The only way to prove their unworthiness is to expose them to a real (not an artificial, hand-picked) tryout, where the best players in the (04) age-group in the Mid-Atlantic Region are identified and assembled. With a large group of excellent players, the average quality of these players in question will be apparent. And, on behalf of players in the Mid-Atlantic Region who deserve to be identified as talented players and selected to the USYNT based on merit (i.e., technical skill, fitness, psychological mindset, and tactical knowledge), but never had this opportunity due to Ms. Drake’s abuse of power, I submit this complaint against her as an earnest crusade for justice. I would not put my credibility at risk for something that I did not feel was an egregious violation of an ethical duty by a person, like Ms. Drake, in a position of great power and influence. I truly feel that ignoring a conflict of interest is a transgression of the highest nature in any such position – especially as the Talent Director for the Mid-Atlantic Region, which has the power to affect the prestige of many players – and it is one that ought to result in the firing of Ms. Drake from such position. She not only violated this conflict of interest once, but rather multiple times. Only an independent investigation could ascertain the actual number of breaches of such duty.

Independent Investigation (Recusal from the Investigation of Ms. Drake of Friends/Acquaintances)

Due to her almost permanent position as a national scout and previously as a scouting director for many years, Ms. Drake is friends with many coaches at the regional and national level. If the U.S. Soccer Federation truly wishes to fix the broken talent identification/selection system in the Mid-Atlantic Region, an independent investigation must be performed by persons whom are not acquaintances of Ms. Drake (and much less by those whom are friends with her). Perhaps the [US Soccer Legal Team] ... ought to conduct such investigation? Any persons having any type of relationship with her – whether a friend or an acquaintance – or any prior dealing with her ought to be recused from such investigation, including [the General Talent Identification Director for All Four Regions]. (I would hope that, in light of the distinguished nature of your position, you would approach such investigation from a vantage of neutrality and objectiveness and recuse yourself if Ms. Drake were your friend/acquaintance.) Otherwise, astute, interested parties in the Mid-Atlantic Region will just assume that the U.S. Soccer Federation does not care and that the talent identification/selection process described in the e-mail below by [the US Soccer Federation's Spokesperson] is utterly meaningless. God willing, we hope that this is not the case.

Sincerely,

An anonymous advocate for women's soccer crying in the wilderness for justice and affirmative action ....

THIRD E_MAIL CORRESPONDENCE - A PLEA TO SAVE THE INTEGRITY OF THE PROCESS

Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2021 9:25 PM
            Cc: **************@ussoccer.org;

Subject: RE: CONFIDENTIAL - Ms. Drake's Intentional Breach of an Ethical Duty to Avoid a Conflict of Interest in the Selection of Players to NTCs and to the USYNT Pool - REMOVAL FROM www.dcurbanmom.com 's WEBSITE ...

Dear [Contact from U.S. Soccer Federation]:

Thanks for your response, which, for the reasons below, is utterly sad because it indicates that U.S. Soccer does not care about curing an appearance of impropriety – due to the referenced conflict of interest of Ms. Drake, in her position as Mid-Atlantic Talent Director – in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

The Integrity of Your Selection Process Has Been Undermined By Ms. Drake’s Unethical Conduct:

You continue to underscore that the process is designed and “structured to prevent undue influence by a single person (or even a group of people) in youth national team selection.” I respect what you are saying. And, in theory, you might be right, especially when it relates to other regions. But, please try to understand what I am saying. In practice, this pristine, infallible process that you describe has been corrupted at the core in the Mid-Atlantic Region by a surreptitious plan of crony selectionism. (I am only attacking your process in the Mid-Atlantic Region where Ms. Drake is abusing her power, despite the intrinsic conflict of interest, to promote the best interests of her daughter.) That is the truth! And the integrity of your national team selection process is at stake in this region. Unfortunately, only an independent investigation, which you cavalierly dismiss could reveal that truth.

Comment

CONTINUATION AND U.S. SOCCER FEDERATION'S RESPONSE TO SHUT THIS MATTER ...

Your Protective Response is Utterly Sad.

Given that an independent investigation is embarrassing, time-consuming, and costly, I could understand why it is easier to ignore (and even hide) the truth with protectionism, and, despite the chagrin that it causes me and the general public in the Mid-Atlantic Region, that is your prerogative – as well as Ms. *********’s, as the General Talent Director for all regions – being in a position of power. But, doing so and covering this up as if it did not occur (and as if it does not and will not continue to occur), while effective in the short-term, would be a grave mistake in the long-term. To be sure, the general public in North Virginia – and most likely in the Mid-Atlantic Region – knos that those two players are not even the best players on their own (TSJ FC Virginia (04)) Girls Academy team. And Ms. Drake’s daughter is not even the best outside back on that team. Yet, they are somehow worthy of national team selection? That is shameful!!

Please understand that I am merely a messenger for a myriad of craven, anonymous voices who think (and feel) that crony selectionism has undermined the integrity of the national team identification and selection process in the Mid-Atlantic Region. I am merely the one who cares enough to put his neck on the guillotine for raising this issue of unfairness as it applies to the talent identification/selection process in this region. It behooves you to know that, before I decided to undertake this whistleblower task, numerous people that are familiar with this issue in the Northern Virginia area told me that complaining about this unethical misconduct would be an utter waste of time, an undertaking in vain, so to speak, because U.S. Soccer does not care about it and because U.S. Soccer merely wishes to protect their own corrupt selectors. Several anonymous posts in the biased soccer forum (https://www.dcurbanmom.com/) (“DCUrbanMom”) echoed this sentiment.** Indeed, in a recent post on www.talking-soccer.com (“TalkingSoccer”), which is a more neutral soccer forum then DCUrbanMom, one encompassing the entire Region I, an anonymous poster disdainfully and hopelessly stated as follows:

“Welcome to the real world, son. Most people in life do not have an equal chance at what they want out of life. We can work hard to limit the gross misuse of positions of power, money, or fame, but it’s still always there.

**[Footnote] Before drawing conclusions, I wish that you would take the time, at least, to read all of the posts on DCUrbanMom related to this issue. Many of them admit the iniquity but hopelessly state that U.S. Soccer does not care. That’s why I stated the following at the end of my initial post on that website: “Please, share your thoughts. Your opinion matters!” It implies that U.S. Soccer actually cares. But, sadly, your recent correspondence of infallibility indicates that I am wrong. U.S. Soccer does not seem to care.

Potential Solutions as an Alternative to an Independent Investigation.

Don’t allow the general public to have these forlorn thoughts about the august process of identifying talent in the U.S. and selecting players to our youth national team. Show them that U.S. Soccer cares.

I do not want to cause problems without offering solutions. So, here are two potential alternatives:
              1. Accepting Video Footage of the Players in Question. Allow me to obtain and submit a video of Ms. Drake’s daughter and her friend playing in a recent national playoff game. A quick perusal of such video will patently reveal that neither of them are worthy of selection to our U-18 (03/04) U.S. Youth National Team, but it is not as evident as a live, regional tryout (suggested below).
              2. Agree to Hold a Live, Regional Tryout. Instead of an independent investigation into the alleged misconduct of Ms. Drake, which may not be the most cost-effective idea, I would like to suggest the ensuing alternative. Hold a one-day, regional tryout in the Mid-Atlantic region with the top thirty (30) players in the (04) age group. This, and only this, will expose the inferiority – both technically and tactically – of the two players in question (selected unjustly to our U.S. Youth National Team by Ms. Drake and her cronies). I know this age group quite well, and I would gladly give you the names of these thirty (30) players who were passed over for selection due to Ms. Drake’s unethical conduct of wielding her position to promote the interests of her daughter and her friend.
              . . . ​

Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2021 4:09 PM
              To: ME <**********@gmail.com>
              Subject: RE: CONFIDENTIAL - Ms. Drake's Intentional Breach of an Ethical Duty to Avoid a Conflict of Interest in the Selection of Players to NTCs and to the USYNT Pool - REMOVAL FROM www.dcurbanmom.com 's WEBSITE ...

Dear Mr. ********,

As we have stated in our prior responses, U.S. Soccer is confident in the integrity and effectiveness of its Talent ID process. We don’t believe it should be modified as you suggest.

While we offered to have someone speak with you about U.S. Soccer’s Talent ID process, we will not discuss U.S. Soccer Talent ID decisions or the qualifications and/or performance of specific players or of U.S. Soccer staff. As this seems to be your desired topic of discussion, we no longer believe a conversation would be productive.

Finally, if you wish to submit video of your daughter for review, you are welcomed to do so.

Comment

​LAST E-MAIL CORRESPONDENCE AFTER U.S. SOCCER CHOSE TO SHUT THIS DOWN AND COVER THIS MATTER UP ...

Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 12:43 PM
                Importance: High

Dear [US Soccer Federation Contact]:

My apologies for the belated response. I have been traveling on business and have not had any time to respond adequately to your last e-mail until today. For the record, and for the sake of clarity, I want to address a few points arising from your last response.

My Daughter’s Status Is Irrelevant to this Matter.

The first one concerns my daughter’s status as a soccer player in relation to this matter. ... In the closing part of your e-mail, you offered to allow me to send to U.S. Soccer a “… video of [my] daughter for review. …” Any intelligent person would extrapolate from such statement that my motivation for bringing this informal complaint against Ms. Drake is somehow to benefit my daughter’s status as a soccer player in the 2004 age-group. Yet, to be very clear, I consider it completely irrelevant to this matter, and it seems like an indirect, ad hominem response. I told you in my previous e-mail the reason why I brought this informal complaint against Ms. Drake:

"I am merely a messenger for a myriad of craven, anonymous voices who think (and feel) that crony selectionism has undermined the integrity of the national team identification and selection process in the Mid-Atlantic Region. I am merely the one who cares enough to put his neck on the guillotine for raising this issue of unfairness as it applies to the talent identification/selection process in this region."

TheAppearance of Impropriety Destroys Public Confidence in the Integrity of the Talent Identification System.

The appearance of impropriety ought to be avoided at all cost. Because an independent and honorable talent identification system – not only in the Mid-Atlantic Region, but in all regions – is indispensable to the public’s trust in the probity and fairness of the U.S. Youth National Team selection process, which you adamantly defend with mere words, the standard governing the ethical duty of a selector in charge of an entire region should be very high. Accordingly, the mere involvement of Ms. Drake in the selection process in an age-group where she has a daughter presents an unnecessary and intolerable entanglement – i.e., a conflict of interest – that could have been avoided by merely choosing to recuse herself. That would have been the prudent choice. A person in her position, with the imposing responsibility that she has, must avoid any appearance of impropriety, as if she were a judge.

In fact, she is a judge from the vantage of the public. Our codes of judicial conduct in the U.S. have very high standards that require not only fairness and neutrality from our judges but the avoidance of any situation resulting in an appearance of impropriety. For instance, Canon 2 of the Canons of Judicial Conduct for the State of Virginia requires judges in that state to “… act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.” And, in the commentary, which explains the canon’s spirit and objective, it states as follows:

Public confidence in the judiciary is eroded by irresponsible or improper conduct by judges. A judge must avoid all impropriety and appearance of impropriety. A judge must expect to be the subject of constant public scrutiny. A judge must therefore accept restrictions on the judge's conduct that might be viewed as burdensome by the ordinary citizen and should do so freely and willingly.

Va. Sup. Ct. R., sec. III, Canon II(A) (emphasis added). Indeed, Justice Felix Frankfurter, one of our erstwhile U.S. Supreme Court Justices, said long ago that “justice must satisfy the appearance of justice.” Offutt v. United States, 348 U.S. 11, 14, 75 S. Ct. 11, 13, 99 L. Ed. 11, 16 (1954) (enunciating a principle that manifests the probity and justness of our Judicial Code of Conduct.) When judges in our judicial system have conflicts of interest because of their personal relationships with friends or (worse) relatives, they recuse themselves.

Just like maintaining the prestige of judicial office is paramount for judges, it ought to be the same for any person responsible for selecting players to the U.S. National Team from any given region. Clearly, Ms. Drake had a conflict of interest in light of her daughter’s status as a soccer player in the 2004 age-group. Obviously, she did not recuse herself. Her participation, in any way, in the nomination or selection of her daughter (and her daughter’s friend) to the U.S. Youth National Team is an ethical violation that has harmed U.S. Soccer’s talent identification system. The ethical concern is not whether she acted fairly and justly given the august responsibility of her position – we know, for a fact, that she did not – but rather with the appearance of impropriety. To be clear, the harm to the talent identification system is Ms. Drake’s involvement, in any way, in the recommendation and selection process in her daughter’s age-group. This appearance of impropriety is what destroys the public’s confidence in the system, and it must be preserved by U.S. Soccer with utmost rigor by holding its official staff, like Ms. Drake, to the highest of ethical standards. There are many judicial precedents that buttress this point in government and in the private sector.

Comment

LAST E-MAIL CORRESPONDENCE AFTER U.S. SOCCER CHOSE TO SHUT THIS DOWN AND COVER THIS MATTER UP .[... CONTINUED] ..

Closing This Matter Without Corrective Action Is Improper and It Makes the Whistleblower Process Utterly Meaningless.

You stated in your last e-mail that “we will not discuss … [the] performance of … U.S. Soccer staff.” Who is we? Is that U.S. Soccer?

What is the purpose of having a whistleblower process if it has no teeth, if it is completely meaningless and does not result in some type of investigation? The people who posted anonymously on the public forums that “U.S. Soccer does not care” about such ethical violations are vindicated. Your current inclination – a do-nothing approach - shows that they were right. (I have sent you examples of such posts, including the one in my last e-mail correspondence.) Sadly, relying adamantly on the pristineness and infallibility of your talent identification process – repeating words, without any investigation – in order to protect an ethical mistake made by one of your staff members is not only reprehensible, but, more importantly, it makes the entire whistleblower process a sham. “Bah, Humbug!” as Charles Dickens would say.

Ms. Drake’s ethical misconduct is glaringly apparent. A baboon could figure it out. It probably does not even require much investigation – certainly, the conflict of interest part of it does not warrant it. That is a fact. The saddest part of this situation is that it could have easily been prevented by a simple recusal from any involvement in only her daughter’s age-group. If I had been in Ms. Drake’s position, that is what I would have done, since I have a daughter in the same age-group. No exceptions! (This means no involvement in such age-group, not in identifying, nor in recommending, nor in selecting players in the Mid-Atlantic Region to the U.S. Youth National Team.) Why not? Because doing so creates an unreasonable appearance of impropriety in the public’s eye. (See the discussion above.) And this harm ultimately undermines the integrity of the entire talent identification system.

Corrective Action Is Necessary in this Matter to Restore Public Confidence and Give Teeth to the Whistleblower Process.

I understand that you might not want to read and assimilate what I – as a messenger for voices wishing to remain anonymous – am writing, but it echoes the silent outrage of the public in the Northern Virginia community and, arguably, in the entire Mid-Atlantic Region. But the public’s trust in the fairness and neutrality of your talent identification process – with Ms. Drake at the helm of the Mid-Atlantic Region – has been shattered. Corrective action is necessary to restore the public’s confidence in such process. Accordingly, closing this conversation, as you stated in your last e-mail, would be a grave mistake.

My motivation for bringing this informal complaint to your attention is not to reverse what has already been done, but rather to seek corrective action. What is paramount in this matter is to purge the process and correct previous errors. But that cannot happen if you protect with impunity the ethical misconduct of Ms. Drake. You ought to remove her from her position, or force her kindly to resign. This is not a one-occasion ethical breach. She has engaged intentionally in such ethical misconduct for years, nominating her daughter to NTCs and putting her daughter’s interests above others who might be more qualified. She has not done her job properly, with probity and integrity, entangling herself (and U.S. Soccer) in this unethical web for several years. Such conduct is not tolerable.
                  The morally correct action in this case is to investigate this matter thoroughly via an independent investigation. To my chagrin, you have already stated that U.S. Soccer is unwilling to do this. But, to close this matter and do nothing, which is what you currently suggest, makes this informal “whistleblower process” utterly meaningless. So, what is U.S. Soccer willing to do to show it cares about such a delicate issue – i.e., the appearance of impropriety – that could undermine the integrity of the talent identification process, at least, in the Mid-Atlantic Region (if not in the entire country)? Will it fire Ms. Drake and substitute her with another Mid-Atlantic Talent Identification Director, one who is more serious and honest about her job? Or will you compel Ms. Drake to resign?

You cannot take away from her daughter (or her daughter’s friend) their selection to the U.S. Youth National Team, even though such selection is tainted with incredulity and impropriety. But you could do the just act of purging the system, which is not pristine and infallible in practice, as you believe, by dismissing Ms. Drake or demanding her resignation due to her unethical misconduct. That is my opinion and the opinion of a plethora of anonymous voices that, for personal reasons, do not wish to raise their outrage other than in an anonymous public forum, one from which I have been banned for bringing this matter to light.

This matter is so iniquitous and so wrong that, in light of your wanting to shut it down, I feel like a Dylan Thomas martyr crying “do not go gentle into that good night … rage, rage against the dying of the light.” And, hopefully, others will feel the same over time.

Comment

Maybe get a lawyer to help you submit a Freedom of Information Act request. Not entirely sure it will work, but this is a powerful tool for gaining “selection process info” on anything funded by federal money.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                      Maybe get a lawyer to help you submit a Freedom of Information Act request. Not entirely sure it will work, but this is a powerful tool for gaining “selection process info” on anything funded by federal money.
                      Or, do what normal people do and move on. These things happen in life and how you deal with setbacks matters most.. Clearly someone feels their kid didn't get a spot because of this. That may or may not be true but parents are the worst judges of their players abilities. Tell your kid to train harder, learn from the experience

Comment

Or, do what normal people do and move on. These things happen in life and how you deal with setbacks matters most.. Clearly someone feels their kid didn't get a spot because of this. That may or may not be true but parents are the worst judges of their players abilities. Tell your kid to train harder, learn from the experience
                        That’s definitely one end of the spectrum, but we all also know plenty of organizations like this where there are not the proper controls. In for profit enterprise, there is internal audit and Sarbanes-Oxley. In US soccer, I rather doubt there is much. Not saying is a pay to play scenario here but it wouldn’t be the first international soccer scandal. Who’s paying attention? Because the question we like to ask the most about when will it be our time as a country is determined by the integrity of the system. While the OP has a kid and potentially questionable motivation, he actual inquiries in the process, controls, and oversight are not questionable. We have to pick one hundred kids per age to potentially represent our country out of hundreds of thousands. That’s an undeniably hard task. Transparency is important. We should have transparency.

Comment

"Maybe get a lawyer to help you submit a Freedom of Information Act request ... Or, do what normal people do and move on. These things happen in life and how you deal with setbacks matters most.. Clearly someone feels their kid didn't get a spot because of this. That may or may not be true but parents are the worst judges of their players abilities. Tell your kid to train harder, learn from the experience."

I appreciate your opinions. YES, I am looking into a Freedom of Information Act complaint. That might lead to an investigation.

Obviously, someone's kid (not mine) - who is more deserving - got cheated from a spot on the U.S. Youth National Team for the 2003/2004 age-group as a result of the "crony selectionism" that occurred to put the Mid-Atlantic Talent I.D. Director's daughter on the national team and her daughter's friend as well. In reality, that helped both of these kids - especially the friend, who just got a scholarship to play at South Carolina University, where the Mid-Atlantic Talent Director's daughter is going to play. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT IN THIS MATTER. The "appearance of impropriety" from a failure by the Mid-Atlantic Talent ID Director to recuse herself - knowing that she had an apparent and blatant conflict of interest in this case - undermines the public's confidence at the grassroots level in the entire talent identification and selection process, especially in the Mid-Atlantic Region but also in other regions. THAT IS WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT!!! And the fact that U.S. Soccer could cover this up without any investigation makes the entire "whistleblower process" a meaningless endeavor.

Comment

Interesting thread on this from one of the stakeholders in this issue

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/forum/...fcv-corruption

Comment

Sounds sketchy....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X