This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New HS Rule Change - OT & PK's

Had heard that there was a new rule change to help eliminate all the ties . This is the response I received. Thought this new info would be help.

Here
    is a summary of what happens if the match ends in a tie at the end of the
    second half:
    (1) If the teams are from different classifications, the match is a tie.
    NOTE: If both coaches agree before the game to break the tie and if they
    notify the head official, they may play an overtime procedure.
    (2) If the teams are from the same classification during the regular season
    or playoffs, the teams will play 2 five-minute overtime periods. If the
    score remains tied after the second overtime period, the teams will go
    through a penalty-kick procedure using 5 players. If the score remains
    tied, 5 more players will be selected for a "sudden victory" shootout.
    (3) If the state championship match remains tied at the end of the two
    overtime periods, the team are co-champions.
    Ralph Swearngin
    GHSA Executive Director

I hope the Athletic Director at our school has the wisdom to schedule Varsity Soccer Games after all of the Lacrosse games are completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
      I hope the Athletic Director at our school has the wisdom to schedule Varsity Soccer Games after all of the Lacrosse games are completed.
      ?? Explain.

Comment

Explain
        Based on the original statement it sounds like there are a lot of ties in HS Games. It sounds like these games could go on for quite some unscheduled time. Let's face it, if a game is tied after 90 minutes of play, there's a strong posibility that it will be tied after the over times as well.

Since most HS games are played on week nights I hope the sports that share the same fields don't have to start after these long, unscheduled game extensions.

Comment

Re: New HS Rule Change - OT & PK's

Ralph Swearngin
          GHSA Executive Director[/quote]

If you are changing the rules to break all other ties except different classifications, why would you still want to leave the door open for co-champs ? Except for track & swimming I believe all other HS sports have tiebreakers that allow for 1 state champ.

What can you say in your school cheer, " We're # .5 " ? Are the coaches/AD's the decision makers regarding this new rule? I think it still needs to be revised further.

Comment

If you are changing the rules to break all other ties except different classifications, why would you still want to leave the door open for co-champs ?
            You're right. Why go through all of this effort to get rid of tie breakers and then allow the State Championship to end in a tie?

Comment

You are asking that someone be rational!!

Remember that you are dealing with the GHSA. You cannot expect that someone who believes that the only true sport is American football will come up with rational rules regarding soccer.

Comment

Re: You are asking that someone be rational!!

Originally posted by NW Anon
                Remember that you are dealing with the GHSA. You cannot expect that someone who believes that the only true sport is American football will come up with rational rules regarding soccer.
                You know the sad thing is I'll bet there is a huge % of H S coaches that are not aware of the new rule & tryouts begin in just 2 weeks.

Of course they may bot be aware due to GHSA not getting the word out. This new rule will have a tremendous impact. Coaches should be made a ware now.

Comment

Tryouts? Are you kidding? At our school, everyone who shows up gets a uniform. It's ridiculous, and the coach carries a million kids on varsity.

Anyway, there are painfully few close games in HS soccer, so the rule will not have the impact you predict. Besides, draws should be allowed in all soccer games EXCEPT for playoffs and championship matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                    Tryouts? Are you kidding? At our school, everyone who shows up gets a uniform. It's ridiculous, and the coach carries a million kids on varsity.

Anyway, there are painfully few close games in HS soccer, so the rule will not have the impact you predict. Besides, draws should be allowed in all soccer games EXCEPT for playoffs and championship matches.
                    Tryouts-some people actually will have them . Glad your school has plenty of uniforms . I agree about regular season ties. They have managed so far to figure out tiebreakers. But no more co-champs !!! Where does your DD go to school ? I will send my eleven year old over & let her dress out for Varsity games this year.

Comment

New PK Rule

I know it's early but there are some non tournament games that have been played. Is anyone aware of this new rule being used ? Also this is just a guess but I think it's too risky for 2 different classification teams to agree to use the PK before the game. I wouldn't believe anyone would want to take the chance of an L on their record.

Comment

Re: New HS Rule Change - OT & PK's

Football allows co-champions.
                        Originally posted by Gwinnett Fan
                        Ralph Swearngin
                        GHSA Executive Director
                        If you are changing the rules to break all other ties except different classifications, why would you still want to leave the door open for co-champs ? Except for track & swimming I believe all other HS sports have tiebreakers that allow for 1 state champ.

What can you say in your school cheer, " We're # .5 " ? Are the coaches/AD's the decision makers regarding this new rule? I think it still needs to be revised further.[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                        X