This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First High School Girls Soccer Game

I was looking forward to my daughter's first HS game this week. She plays ECNL ball and I have been reading all the back and forth about Girls DA not allowing HS participation. Now that I have been to her first HS game I have some first impressions.
    * The level of play was higher than I expected - given how people criticize HS skill level.
    * The level of play was as good as some club teams but not nearly as high as ECNL.
    * One team kept the ball on the ground mostly and one played long balls constantly.
    * Large field with plenty of room to spread out and connect long passes.
    * Very little building from the back and a whole lot of punting.
    * The officiating was just OK - not great, not terrible.

Probably most importantly - it was blast! Probably the most fun I've seen my daughter have before, during and after any soccer game. A bunch of little things that add up to a great teenage experience. Friends, boyfriends, parents in the stands - and many more than I thought would show up. Announcer calling the game and players by name. Both teams made up of players from various clubs around the area that know each other personally so a very competitive atmosphere for "bragging rights." Daughter loves the level of competition in ECNL but it seems to me she likes the HS experience every bit as much. A little too early after one game but my guess is she won't want to give up HS ball.
Working...
X