This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS JV vs Varsity

We are new to the area. My kid is in the 9th grade, a good player and has the chance to play on the varsity HS soccer team, but is on the smaller than average side, doesn't know people and was hoping to make friends through being on the team.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are new to the area. My kid is in the 9th grade, a good player and has the chance to play on the varsity HS soccer team, but is on the smaller than average side, doesn't know people and was hoping to make friends through being on the team.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.
    It's all up to the school's player pool and needs to which team he makes. Most 9th graders make JV and get called up to varsity if a need.

Comment

I am a boys varsity head coach. A lot will depend on your school and their needs but I almost never bring up freshman who don't have size. We can give them a lot more playing time on JV which is always going to be better than sitting on the bench or only playing 10-15 minutes in a varsity game.

The main reason though is that they would be playing against 18 year old men. High school is very physical because the skill levels vary greatly between players. You'll almost always have that one big kid whose main personal goal is to hurt someone because he lacks skill, they usually pick the smallest and easiest target...

Comment

I am a boys varsity head coach. A lot will depend on your school and their needs but I almost never bring up freshman who don't have size. We can give them a lot more playing time on JV which is always going to be better than sitting on the bench or only playing 10-15 minutes in a varsity game.

The main reason though is that they would be playing against 18 year old men. High school is very physical because the skill levels vary greatly between players. You'll almost always have that one big kid whose main personal goal is to hurt someone because he lacks skill, they usually pick the smallest and easiest target...
        "like a mustached lion dragging a gazelle through the Serengeti"

Comment

Assuming the skill and athleticism is there, what height/weight would make a freshman big enough for varsity? Does position matter?

Comment

FYI - Messi is 5-5 weighs 155 and plays against the strongest most athletic players in the world- seems like he can hold his own

Comment

In Tampa area, if you get the shot play varsity. JV is so bad your player will start to hate the game. Getting kicked in the shine every time gets old after a while.

Comment

FYI - Messi is 5-5 weighs 155 and plays against the strongest most athletic players in the world- seems like he can hold his own
                Massive difference between a grown man being smaller then a undeveloped 14 year old being smaller.

Comment

Massive difference between a grown man being smaller then a undeveloped 14 year old being smaller.
                  My son has played and started varsity since he was a freshman. The skill level is so low on most high school teams if he has any skill will make the Seniors look silly as a freshman.

Good experience.

Comment

My son has played and started varsity since he was a freshman. The skill level is so low on most high school teams if he has any skill will make the Seniors look silly as a freshman.

Good experience.

Not sure what class his school is but anything 4A and above is going to be all club players starting and reserves. If he's starting and making seniors look silly, assuming his school is higher than 3A, he should probably have multiple D1 full ride offers. If he doesn't, you're probably a typical TS parent...

Comment

There's also the social aspect to consider - especially if the OP is new to the area. Being a frosh on a a predominantly older team isn't easy. the older players all know each other, have been playing together a long time etc. They don't always intend to be exclusionary but they are less likely to include the odd freshman in things. Then there's also the simple fact of not being able to drive. One of mine made it as a frosh to V (almost never ever happens at our big HS). He enjoyed it and got to play a lot, but he had no friends his age on the team and couldn't even carpool much to practices and games because all his freshman friends were on JV. He also really had to prove himself.

If possible I think the best bet is to put a top freshman on JV so that they can play, gain confidence etc and then move them up to V quickly once the inevitable injuries start racking up. They also prove themselves to all that they're a top JV performer and more worthy of the nod.

Comment

Going through a similar situation (just moved to area recently) with my 9th grader, but a girl instead. Tryouts are coming up. I'm positive she has the skill lever to make varsity, but if for some reason they put her in JV, I will not let her risk an injury, specially since her soccer club is good. I'm just concerned the coach will hold that against her next year. Any thoughts?

Comment

Going through a similar situation (just moved to area recently) with my 9th grader, but a girl instead. Tryouts are coming up. I'm positive she has the skill lever to make varsity, but if for some reason they put her in JV, I will not let her risk an injury, specially since her soccer club is good. I'm just concerned the coach will hold that against her next year. Any thoughts?
                          I think you are a douche. Let your daughter decide. She is the one playing, not you. Freaking helicopter parents.

Comment

Are you for real? If your D wants to play the coaches will decide where she should play and then it's her call. Stay out of it. Playing HS sports involves many facets that have nothing to do with you. Your job as a parent is to support her choices and politely sit in the stands and cheer the team on.

And btw - the supposed injury risk is just as big on varsity as it is on JV as it is on club. Playing sports involves taking risks. If you're that worried keep her out and have her to GDA next year. She'll only hold a grudge for ten years or so

Comment

Not sure what class his school is but anything 4A and above is going to be all club players starting and reserves. If he's starting and making seniors look silly, assuming his school is higher than 3A, he should probably have multiple D1 full ride offers. If he doesn't, you're probably a typical TS parent...
                              That is not true. 3a, 4a, 5a there are some weak teams. The better teams have the most club players. I have watched three years now of high school soccer and have seen a skilled freshman make a Senior look silly. Like I said the level of the team depends on the number of club players on the team. That is the life of high school soccer.

Comment

Working...
                              X